Alignment = torn and twisted boots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment = torn and twisted boots?

So i took my mk3 into a shop for the first time ever to get an alignment... i got it back and noticed that my inner tie rod/steering rack boots were all twisted and torn.

Ive since called the Fountain Tire, and they took the car in. They told me that it is not standard procedure to loosen the steering rack boot before adjusting toe-in... everywhere else tells me otherwise. so they refuse to do anything for me. Im planning to start a case through the better business bureau or something.

This is my first negative experience with a shop (one of my first experiences with a shop period) so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by GingerBeef; 03-18-2015, 10:31 AM.
    Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
    ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
    PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Re: Alignment = torn and twisted boots?

Wow that is a bunch of crap from fountain tire, anyways a good shop should be inspecting the joint as well so the boot needs to be slide down anyways. I guess people take no pride in their work, I would be upset and making them replace the boots and realign.
    Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Comment

Seriously!
      Please, feel free to post their address later on (if it is ok with forum rules...) for negative advertising!

Agree with above, you should try to push more to get the job redone. Do you know anyone with a CTV or CBC van.....
      We are suppose to be "covered" by our credit card, might be worth it to contact them.

Comment

Originally posted by toplessvw View Post
        Wow that is a bunch of crap from fountain tire, anyways a good shop should be inspecting the joint as well so the boot needs to be slide down anyways. I guess people take no pride in their work, I would be upset and making them replace the boots and realign.
        i actually brought that up, Wayne told me that inspecting it is not part of the job. Whatever. Ive contacted head office, they seem eager to help, if that doesnt work out im going through AMVIC.

After what i heard, theres no way in hell theyre touching my car again. Ill be gettng the boots replaced and realigned at CAW and sending them the bill.
        Last edited by GingerBeef; 03-18-2015, 01:35 PM.
        Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Originally posted by syncrovan View Post
          Seriously!
          Please, feel free to post their address later on (if it is ok with forum rules...) for negative advertising!

Agree with above, you should try to push more to get the job redone. Do you know anyone with a CTV or CBC van.....
          We are suppose to be "covered" by our credit card, might be worth it to contact them.
          I dont have the exact address, but its the Northland Fountain Tire, right across from Northland VW.
          Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

never go to places like those, lol

i went once a long time ago for alignment i asked if i can specify my degrees etc they looked at me funny and said no we decide, ok i just turned around and left
            2002 VW Golf GT TDI
            2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Inspecting is not a part of their job, that is the stupidest thing I have heard. They are the last ones to work on that specific part of the car if something was to fail they could be held liable. I would think that they should be inspecting all of the components. How are they supposed to do an alignment on a car if the parts are excessively worn or damaged? Technically they are supposed to only be adjusting toe at the tie rod end so why would they have twisted the boot in the first place?

Comment

The boot is clamped to the tie rod part that spins I'm pretty sure. It spins between the threaded section and the inner ball on the inner tie rod, the outer part stays where it is

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                  The boot is clamped to the tie rod part that spins I'm pretty sure. It spins between the threaded section and the inner ball on the inner tie rod, the outer part stays where it is
                  Yeah, the boots attached to the tie rod shaft, which rotates during toe adjustment. And to the steering rack, which doesnt move at all.
                  Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Yes my bad I just had both tie rod ends done and they adjusted it by just the tie rod end itself.

Comment

re: those boots, it's basically a dust boot for the inner tie rod. it also allows air to move from one side to the other as you turn, compressing or expanding the boots, clamped on either end. when a guy does an alignment, he has to loosen the jam nut that keeps the inner and outer tie rods as a solid unit, to make the adjustments. if you don't undo the small clamp and the inner rod spins while trying to free up the other parts, or make necessary adjustments, it will twist the boots. it's very common practice to just undo the clamp to prevent that from happening. also, tie rods don't move or spin while driving. inners are threaded to allow adjustment (when you loosen the clamp). it pushes the outer end in, or out, for toe. i can't speak for the condition of your boots or to how they inspect, but maybe they split open as a result of this. but that could also indicate that the boots were already on their way out and this just helped it along. but i would say he's an idiot.
                      you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

Originally posted by 100%VAGitarian View Post
                        re: those boots, it's basically a dust boot for the inner tie rod. it also allows air to move from one side to the other as you turn, compressing or expanding the boots, clamped on either end. when a guy does an alignment, he has to loosen the jam nut that keeps the inner and outer tie rods as a solid unit, to make the adjustments. if you don't undo the small clamp and the inner rod spins while trying to free up the other parts, or make necessary adjustments, it will twist the boots. it's very common practice to just undo the clamp to prevent that from happening. also, tie rods don't move or spin while driving. inners are threaded to allow adjustment (when you loosen the clamp). it pushes the outer end in, or out, for toe. i can't speak for the condition of your boots or to how they inspect, but maybe they split open as a result of this. but that could also indicate that the boots were already on their way out and this just helped it along. but i would say he's an idiot.
                        The clamp was never un-done when adjusting the tie rods. The boots were about.. 2 week old? Either way, things are being sorted out now!
                        Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

glad to hear.
                          you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

I would suggest taking your car here http://precisionalignment.ca/

My car is 2" off the ground and they had no problem putting the car on the machine and even did some custom specs for me =)

Comment

Working...
                            X