Neighbourly intentions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbourly intentions

I've got a rental property in Ontario. I've had a hard time getting decent tenants recently, I was going to throw the towel in but my next door neighbour who'd been there for 10 years said that her daughter and son in law needed a place. She promised to look after the house, and make sure that they kept it clean and that the rent was paid on time.
    Said they didn't have pets and that they were quiet people. I decided to give them a chance, I figured

Well after they destroyed the carpets (with their dog, cat, 2 aquariums, terrarium and 3 snake pens) and didn't pay their rent (my neighbour told me it wasn't her problem if they didn't pay) I proceeded to evict them. Took 4 months and I paid all the court fees. When they left there was mountains of garbage, took a guy I paid 4 trips to the dump with a large truck and a large trailer overflowing. They also severely damaged the house during their tenancy and during their eviction.

So I'm not on particularly good terms with her anymore.

This is the text message I got today:

"Hey what are u doing with that rat infested house next to me . That house is discusting seriously you need to do something about it people are trying to brake in and I don't need bums around here with kids. grass needs cutting sell it for clean it gee com on. Your yard is full of rats soon I will call city we have caught like 10 rats all under your porch give me a brake pl ty"

This was my answer (did I go too far?):

"Hello D...,

Thanks for your concern.

In regards to the grass I have hired someone to come every two weeks to cut it and maintain it.

Another person is coming for maintenance of the electrical and furnace next week. Also cleaning companies will come in to maintain the interior.

When we were at the property recently, inspecting the damage, we saw no sign of rats, neither creatures nor droppings. All the food and consumables and garbage that your family left on the property and in the garden when they were evicted have been taken to the dump. I can send you the bill for that if you like.

At this time due to the extensive damage inside to the floors, walls, windows and doors that your family caused when they lived there no one can rent it out. Once the repairs have been made, I can send you the bill for that also.

I expect the total cost of repairs, according to the quotes I've gotten, to be in the range of $15,000. Feel free to pay for your family's damage.

Since your family didn't pay their rent on top of the damage they did, I've been slowly gathering the money for the repairs.

I fully intend to sell it asap. But as you can imagine having to build up the money to pay for all these repairs takes time.

So I have been contemplating other ways to get money from the house. Since the upstairs was used to host parties already by your family who broke into the upper unit I thought I could look into that. I actually have a possible lead already with the university fraternity, they are looking for a place to have their weekend parties as the university unfortunately gave them a cease and desist letter due to excessive noise, which I think is very unfair. I hope the house will suit them, when you're drinking 4 kegs of beer I doubt they care about the current condition.

I will look forward to hearing your thoughts and follow-up.

Your kind neighbor"
    Last edited by witchcraftz; 06-26-2016, 08:01 AM.

Re: Neighbourly intentions

subscribed. haha.

Crappy situation though. Hope that you can sort it out, somehow!
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

lol,,,,awesome Walker!!
      Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
      Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

I can't believe how some people can do this kind of crap. And how your neighbor, related to the people none the less, can try to badger you like that.

Sure hope they love the thought of a frat house partying next door 😂

Hope it all works out for you man... Best of luck.

Comment

Not too far.
          --
          Rod
          Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
          2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

I presume you're taking them to small claims court to get restitution for all the damages as well... Or what's the situation there? I must admit, reading this story makes my blood boil. Why are people so disrespectful out there! Grrr...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Rob
            Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
            Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

Here is the answer:

"You no what I wont get into there problems I no some what is there fault but that place was totally discusting when they moved in . Froze there butts all winter had to put blankets over the windows cause cold air coming in. U promised to get windows fixed but never did. That place needs help and it did before they moved in. Anyways as for the rats [edited for confidentiality of other people] I spent tons of money bying food to kill those rats and they haven't been living there in that place its been empty for a long time so no food just garbage and living under your porch needs cleaning. Leave me out of this mess. Not my problem but the rats is so clean this place and rent it or sell I or you are asking for trouble with vandalize. So anyways good luck cant sue someone that as nothing. "

My answer:

"Hello D...,

It's terrible that they were cold in the house! I pay for the heating and did notice that the bills were around $300/month, when we came into the house during winter to find out why and inspect it we noticed it was very warm inside, your family said it had to be hot for all their special pets and that the heat was on full blast. Do you think perhaps the cold air coming in was because they broke the window panes and damaged the frames that hold the windows into the house? I was told by the window replacement companies, who came to inspect the damage and give me the quotes, that there is a high probability that having the windows not attached to the house can cause heat loss.

When your family moved in I had just replaced various things, such as some window panes, gotten everything cleaned and painted, etc. It didn't need much help as far as I could tell, it does now of course.

I'm also sorry to hear about your rat problem. I personally am not sure why you have decided to spend a lot of money buying them food, I have found that feeding animals tends to make them stay around, but I'm not a rat expert. If you wish to buy the rats food I leave it up to you.

When you refer to "my porch" I am a little confused though, my property, which you can see from your windows, doesn't have a porch. It does have a flat concrete pad in the back, I'll have to go back and see if I now have a porch, perhaps they are carpenter rats? I have heard from the neighbours that you yourself just recently had a brand new porch added to your property, congratulations! It's very nice to have the money to build a new addition to your property.

Yes, there is no food in my house, nor garbage outside, I had it all taken to the dump. There are a couple of furniture items leftover still, a chair, some shelves, etc. All this garbage in reality belongs to you and your family. I will happily return it to you, I can just drop them off on your front door for you, no need to come get it yourself. Or if you provide me the address of your family I can have it dropped off there on their front door.

I take the threat of the vandalization very seriously, I will definitely save this email so that I can remind myself of how dangerous it is where we live. It would be terrible if someone came to vandalize my property as I am fixing it. I'm sure you could keep an eye out as you have a great view of my property from yours, in fact I will think of getting a couple of cameras installed just so in case so I can catch those people in the act.

Your kindly neighbour,"
              Last edited by witchcraftz; 06-26-2016, 09:06 AM.

Comment

I won in the tenant/landlord court case so I was able to evict them, but that's all I won.
                In all fairness her defense was "I'm a mother! I don't need to pay!" and the guy didn't even show.

I wish I could take them to small claims, but to quote my lawyer: "You don't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting anything from them. In Ontario there's a rule that states that anyone who gets any form of governmental living support doesn't have to pay if they are sued. Even if you win you win nothing."
                Last edited by witchcraftz; 06-26-2016, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Another example of the kinds of people who feed off the social welfare system and use it as a blanket, instead of the safety net that it's intended as.

One thing I'd do if I were you, and depends on how much of a grudge you're holding, is check in with the city to see if the neighbours pulled a permit for their new deck. If not, lodge a formal complaint and they'll get fined or have to remove it completely. Not like it gets you your $15k back, not to mention the time and lost rental revenue, but at least it brings some payback where it belongs.
                  Last edited by PRY4SNO; 06-26-2016, 11:59 AM.
                  Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                  Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                  Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

This is not at all fun and I feel for you. I have a rental in Alberta still and it is fine now, but at times in the past (had 2 at one point) I had a couple events of making dump runs myself, but not nearly as much damage as you suffered.
                    Blair
                    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Any updates?
                      Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                      Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                      Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Response:

"YOU NO WHAT DONT BOHER EMAIL ME AGAIN YOUR LYING AND YOUR FREAKEN WINDOWS WERE BROKEN WHEN I INSPECTED IT THEY WERE DISCUSTING AND AS FOR THE HEAT HELLO SHE PAID IT NOT YOU I SAW THE BILL ANYWAYS THAT HOUSE IS DISCUSTING IN AND OUT AND NEEDS BADLY REPAIRED THEY DIDNT DO THAT IT WAS THERE I SAW IT WINDOWS NEEDS SREALLY ALL REDOE AND iIT WAS COLD IN THERE BECAUSE OF YOUR WINDOWS SO iM NOT GOING TO TALK ANY MORE YOU NEED TO OWE UP TO YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES AND FIX YOUR HOUSE ITS DISCUSTING AND AS FOR THEM OK I AGRY THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE CLEANED IT BETTER BUT ITS NOT MY PROBLEM. YOUR THE LANDLORD NOT ME FTAKE CARE OF IT AD LEAVE ME OUT OF THIS MESS. LIKE I SAID CLEAN IT AND SELL IT IF YOU CANT KEEP IT UP ITS AN EYE SORE."

My answer:

"Hello D...,

I understand it can be confusing at times to keep clear what was not paid out of all the things that were not paid. As I mentioned before, I paid the heat and hot water, your family was only responsible for the electric, which they didn't pay for the last few months either. I find it very useful to keep an organized list of the things you need to pay and their due dates, it helps to keep things straight, like that you have records of what hasn't been paid.

I went on the property again the other weekend and found a hole hidden by a large rock and a propped open by a stick. Must be those carpenter rats which built that, normal rats couldn't make something like this without hands. I'm also sure no one is trespassing on the property as that would be illegal. I have had the hole filled and will be watching to make sure no carpenter rats come to make new holes. Another check inside the house has still failed to find any rat droppings on my property, these carpenter rats a definitely clever.

Yes I agree they should have cleaned it, not damaged it and paid their rent, it definitely was disgusting after they left. I have an inspection paper which was signed before move in, it's part of the lease and it's interesting to note that where it says previous damage, there is no mention about window and door frames being removed, pet urine all over the place and floors being damaged. Also interesting to note the pet form they signed before moving in states they have no pets, yet the day they moved in there were cats, dogs, and other exotic animals - they must have bought a lot of pets the same day they moved in!

I know I mentioned this already but I would be more than happy to return to your family the remainder of furniture and stuff they left. I forgot to mention, I have a couple of crack pipes, a bag of marijuana and other drug paraphernalia which I would like to return. I currently have them in a safe place, with pictures taken of where they were found in the house, and have labelled them with the names of the owners so they don't get lost. If your family does not want them I can put this stuff for free on Facebook, I'm sure there will be quite the interest from various people, I hear the folks from the city hall are always looking for these. Please let your family know as you're in contact with them and I don't have their forwarding address.

I have hired some contractors so you will be hearing them over the next couple of months replacing windows and fixing the property up so it can be sold. They should also help finding those rats, hopefully there aren't any around anymore!

It's been great fun talking with you and reminiscing about the good old times but unfortunately I have a lot of work with organizing those contractors right now. If you have any questions about the property or renovations please don't hesitate to contact me!

Your kindly neighbour,"

Comment

All i have to say is that there are two types of house people in this world; those with an owners mentality, and those with a renters mentality. There is nothing you can do to change their mentality and sometimes it is best to just work harder to find better renters next time.

I honestly would not have any further contact with the lady next door due to not only her lack of proper communication skills, but due to the fact that she is a third party/"witness" in a situation she should not be involved in. If she has a problem with the state of your place due to the proximity to her house, the only place she should be going now is to bylaw services to request a drive by to assess the situation. If they find problems with your place, that it isn't up to code or there are community bylaw infractions they will be the ones to contact you and you can deal with the people making the decisions, not her.

My parents have had up to 15 personal rental properties in the past, and they reject a ton of people who apply. They have skipped out on a few months rent at some times but it has saved them in a lot of cases i'm sure and they have ended up with 6 long term renters (8+ years) who really take care of the houses. They have only been burned once in the past when they rented to a younger couple who played the guilt game to rush the whole process along and they have reverted back to their old ways of really making sure to do their background checks and business checks of their renters.
                          Last edited by MechEngg; 07-11-2016, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X