Winter Storage: Battery Tender Experiences/Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Storage: Battery Tender Experiences/Recommendations

Anyone have any history with battery tenders when storing a vehicle for the winter? I've never stored a vehicle before (ie. sitting in my garage (not heated) for 4-6 months without being driven/started) so was wondering what others do who are in the same situation. It seems that a simple "smart" (ie. float charge) battery tender for about $50 is cheap insurance to make sure she starts in the Spring. Of course, if the vehicle was older, I'd probably just totally disconnect the battery and store it in the basement. However, with these modern cars, I'm always hesitant to fully disconnect the battery and have all kinds of issues next year when I connect everything next Spring.

Anyhow, if anyone has any experience and/or recommendations... would love to hear 'em!

Rob
    Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
    Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Re: Winter Storage: Battery Tender Experiences/Recommendations

I've got 3 Noco genius chargers for the summer beaters. They've been great. Go on sale at Canadian tire occasionally too. If all you want to do is maintain a charge, you can get away with the smallest one. If you want to bring batteries back from dead you're better off buying the size up.

Pat

His
    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

I bought one of those and I'm really happy with it.

http://www.batteryminders.com/

Little more expensive but worth it if you compare it to the price of a new battery......

Comment

My M Coupe is plugged in for roughly 6 months of the year using the BMW charger (82110026663). Works really well and car fires up without issue once it's ready to come out of storage. As part of my winter routine I also make sure to over inflate the tires by a few extra PSI and also add some stabil to a full tank of gas. Other than that I just let it hibernate.

Comment

Just don't use whatever this guy used
          http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...home-1.2502038
          Stefan
          -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
          -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
          -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Noco Genius chargers are amazing! i highly recommend them.

Comment

The CTEK tenders are the ones that BMW and Porsche and Lamborghini rebrand and sell in dealerships. I've used one for years.

They go for $70 US

In my experience it's great and never gets hot etc.
              Last edited by Kor; 11-04-2016, 02:35 PM.
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
                The CTEK tenders are the ones that BMW and Porsche and Lamborghini rebrand and sell in dealerships. I've used one for years.

They go for $70 US

In my experience it's great and never gets hot etc.
                CTEK ones are the best.
                Tunerworks sells them, and i recommend them to anyone who asks.
                I might even have one or two BNIB that I'm not using that could possibly sell.
                if interested, PM me
                ~~TODD~~
                '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions guys. I actually ended up borrowing Derek's spare CTEK for the winter. Seems like a solid piece of kit. I believe it's the 4.3 model.

After chatting with Derek and hearing that he charged the 911 through the cigarette lighter, I wondered if the RS4's cig plugs were switched or not. Obviously, the ability to charge through the lighter socket seems super slick compared to popping the hood, wiring up the battery, etc. To my satisfaction, they are not! I believe the one in the trunk is (can't remember now) but since I'll be charging through one of the interior ones, it doesn't matter. Anyhow, a few clicks on Amazon and... voila... Comfort Indicator Cig Plug received today. Will likely hook things up this weekend.

Thanks again all and especially to Derek for the loaner. She's coming back to you in the spring... plus one CTEK Comfort Indicator Cig Plug adapter as rent!

Rob

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

I use a Noco G7200. It works well. It's kinda a multi purpose thing for me though because I need it for charging as well. Not just floating.

My dad had that CTek one for his 911 I think. Was pretty nice.

Comment

CTEK in stock!
                      Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

All hooked up. Damn... that was easy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Rob

Comment

Working...
                        X