Blair`s Official Everything Hong Kong Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blair`s Official Everything Hong Kong Thread

In the spirit of my London thread, it is time to start the new chapter as I get settled and acquainted with my new home in Hong Kong.

I have been here 2 weeks now and I have visited the city 3 times before moving here, twice this year and once about 8 years ago.

Three things really sum up HK so far, warm, busy and expensive! We are nearly in winter here and it has still been between 22-27C every day so far, they tell me it can get cold but I am not too sure about that and the locals also say summer is horrible so I am also not too sure how I will survive all that, but the need for a jacket so far is not seeming all that important.

The city of course is very dense and there are over 7 million people living here, and Shenzhen (China) is very close with another 10 million so personal space can be a bit of a challenge. It also never really quiets down all that much, I have been on the MTR (subway) at 8 am on a Sunday morning and it is packed, the same at 11pm too. I am not entirely sure with it being near Christmas if it is extra busy but the weekends have been just crazy insane so far, just people everywhere all the time. London was a step up from Calgary on this, but you had more opportunities to escape there, here it is really full on all the time.

Money, well where to begin, living expenses are just crazy. We live in Happy Valley, a nice area on the island which is fairly common with expats, luckily we managed to get a very good deal on our place, but it is more a local building as opposed to an expat style tower. That being said I have seen places for rent in the area ranging from 280 sq ft for $3,200 CAD a month up to 4 bedroom 2,000+ sq ft places at $30,000 CAD a month. Things like food are also fairly pricey so far to buy in a nicer grocery store, you can get cheaper items but quality can be a concern with some meats and produce, but when you don`t have an oven your cooking choices at home also have to adjust Transport is one area that things are very cheap, the MTR is very reasonable and we can use trams in our part of town and they are $0.40 CAD flat rate per trip. Taxi cabs are also very reasonable, especially compared with a black cab in London.

Overall I am liking be here, and still getting adjusted and we have done some fun things like gone to HK Disney a couple times (had to buy annual passes cause you can!) and checked out some tourist spots too, plus there is such a variety of food and restaurants to try and of course for me the toys!!

I will try to keep things updated as I go, and perhaps offer some funny moments as they do occur here fairly often as things are just so different and share my adventures from simple things like eating a beef and salmon burger at McDonalds to the madness of attending toy events where people line up for hours, even days. Also please feel free to ask any questions although I know some of you know the city well too!

Cheers

Blair
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: Blair`s Official Everything Hong Kong Thread

This gives a little idea of how things are here, from the recent Planet Earth II series.

Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

It's so cool how you can move around the world all the time, do you move because of job things? I went to hk once in summer, it was like 43*c, definitely not cool. Also how many R34s have you seen there by now? I was seeing one every few blocks 10 years ago
      Current Fleet
      #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
      2001 Cobra #88/3786
      1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
      2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
      2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Luckily it is my wife`s job that is allowing us to live all around the world, she gets some amazing opportunities. I think I have only seen one R34 on the roads, Tesla Model S is the car of choice here these days, I see lots and lots of them.
        Blair

Comment

I am getting close to my 4 month anniversary here in Hong Kong so I thought I would provide a small update on how life is going on the other side of the world. I would say I find the city a bit exhausting, it is not at all hard to get around but with always so many people and perhaps the added humidity it seems to really drain you some days, and I still have the warmer months to worry about as locals are already laughing about us living through the summer. The place is busy all the time, seemingly no matter where you are, with maybe early morning being the quietest.

One strange phenomenon here is the domestic worker situation; it is very common for people to have domestic workers (maids, nannies) that live full time with them time and I have heard this can be had for around $700 CDN a month, providing you give them room and board. They are mostly ladies from the Philippines and Indonesia and they basically do everything for wealthier families, take care of their kids, dogs, cook, clean, everything. It is very strange to hear people talk about it, and even stranger to witness it sometimes. They also get Sundays off traditionally, so on a Sunday there are all of a sudden a huge amount of ladies with nowhere to be so they congregate in parks, streets, and certain areas and have picnics/camp outs for the day. This is no small issue either as there is over 300,000 domestic workers in Hong Kong.

We still find some things to be very expensive here, like the rent and some food; I paid $7.50 CDN for 4 French apples the other day. A Starbucks Americano (grande) is almost $6 CDN, which is very expensive in my opinion, but I am not sure what the current Canadian price is, but I would only pay around $4 CDN in London for the same thing. Cell phones are pretty comparable, they just do a very front loaded contract here, and you have to make a big payment up front that reduces your monthly bill, so I pay around $70 CDN a month for 6GB of data (lots of talk and text), but had a very large first payment to cover the cost of the phone and be a deposit so you don’t need credit. This is on a top tier phone with a premium brand network; you can of course find much cheaper options if you want.

There are a few things that are stupidly cheap though, transport is very reasonable taking the MTR (subway) is never that expensive and for us we use the trams a fair bit. They are old fashioned double decker street cars and they are slow, but it is a fun way to see the city and they are flat rate at $0.40 CDN a journey and you can go the whole length of the island on it. Utilities are also stupid cheap, our last month’s electricity bill was $19 CDN, and we are not that frugal with our consumption.

I have not travelled too much yet in the region, one trip to Macau for the day and over to Tokyo for a few days of toys. The Mrs has been to the mainland once for work and it seemed like quite an experience. I hope to get into China to see some sites and toy factories soon, but need to get a visa sorted at some point first.

That is probably enough rambling so far, but if anyone has questions please do not hesitate to ask!
          Blair

Comment

Working...
          X