War what is it good for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War what is it good for?

Well sense we seem to be a sensible bunch on this board I thought I would attempt to start a civilised discussion on the conflict in Iraq.

First I guess I will say that I am against the US entering Iraq (probably in just a few hours). I do not support or believe Saddam is a good leader/person, but I am just not sure the other avenues where fully exhausted. I also think that the UN should have been in agreement before the attack was launched.

Having said that I hope the armed entry goes qucikly because if it drags out this could be a global disaster. Also I am afraid of what Saddam will do in retaliation. When a snake is cornered or provoked they tend to strike back with a vengence.

Well that is what I think, and only time will tel what the outcome will be.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Unfortunately I think that alll the other avenues were exhausted. It is hard to believe that countries wouldn't try to help the US after Saddam Hussein massacred the Kurds with a devastating attack.

The reason most of these european countries are afraid to aid the US is because of their overwhelming muslim population which fuels their anti-american sentiment. Our country itself is a great example.

If Saddam Hussein wanted to give up his weapons he could have, he has had 10 years to do it. I support George W. 100%
    I own a luxury econobox..is that an oxymoron?

Comment

This is a discussion that could get out of hand real quick.

I don't think that war is the answer yet. I (along with many people) would really like to know what bush has against Saddam. Other than the obvious reasons, there is something deeper here I beleive, not just oil. The U.S. insists that there are weapons of mass destruction (they gave it to them to help fight the Iranians). What has Iraq done in the past 12 years that pissed off bush so much. I've heard that France and Germany have huge oil interests in Iraq right now, which is part of the reason for them not wanting armed conflict. If war breaks out, I would not want to be an American anywhere in the world, the bitterness towards them for going to war unsanctioned by the UN will be bigger than ever.
      "I live my life a Quarter Pounder at a time. For those 10 seconds or less, I'm not hungry."

http://www.xs4all.nl/~bbrother/sigs/oizo.gif

Comment

The united states used the UN weapons inspectors to paint targets all over Iraq for the last 4 months. kinda clever actually...

The US is going for Saddam... i read too many articles about how the attack on Iraq is going to be a massacre. However, Delta force has commands to enter all of Saddam's known palaces and capture or kill him, leaders and 12 top military people. See this "war" seems to be a hyped-up techno assasination. They just want Saddam out and to have control of some sort, oil, maybe more. Saddam had the opportunity to leave thus sparring his iraqi peoples lives. but being a dictator makes this impossible, he will stay because he does not care for his people.

this isn't really a war... the US has droped flyers from the air and make public addresses saying things like "do not fight, its not worth your life". I do respect this. Whether they actually carry it out who knows...

But who's next? will the US attack North Korea next?

Comment

I think Spec-Ops will be the only way to get saddam, they've tried bombs.
          "I live my life a Quarter Pounder at a time. For those 10 seconds or less, I'm not hungry."

Comment

I must say that I'm a fence sitter as well. I want Saddam gone, but I don't think the people of Iraq need more war. They are under enough durress from that psychopath of a leader.

The only thing that really bugs me about the American way of dealing with other nations, is their "If your not with us, your against us" approach. That isn't accurate to portray nations in that manner, and it isn't fair to think that way. I do respect England for backing the U.S., unlike us Canadians who just do nothing Good old Jean

I have to say... I do respect people who say NO to this war, but as long as they know what they are talking about, and what they stand for. I watched a news broadcast where they asked some protestors why they were against the war.... their answer, "war is bad, people shouldn't die". Glad to see they thought this through...... They'd feel differently if Saddam was at their front door.
            Sidewalks are for normal walkin.... aint no room for fancy walkin....

Comment

And now it's begun. Tomahawks away!

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by alien:
                If war breaks out, I would not want to be an American anywhere in the world, the bitterness towards them for going to war unsanctioned by the UN will be bigger than ever.

Unfortunatly, we look and sound alot like the Yanks. Kinda sucks to be us in most places now to...

I would however, rather be an American in France then an Iraqi in Iraq...
                TDI SportWagen

Comment

Finally, I was getting tired of waiting. I think it is important to understand that these miltant muslim regimes hate Canada just as much as the US. I think our government's wussy nature has led them to believe that is we act passively towards everything we wiil not get attacked...think again. We have a huge population of christians and caucasians that these terrorists would love to kill. If I were to side with somebody it would be the US, not france or Germany.
                  I own a luxury econobox..is that an oxymoron?

Comment

Yes Saddam and like minded muslim fanatics (not all muslims countries are bad, check out Qatar) are very anti-western, so France, UK, Germany, Canada and the US all are the enemy in their eyes.

I also agree with the statement about other countries not being with US that they are the enemy. I think everyone is allowed to think and act on their own, and I am glad that when the US says or wants something that all the other countries do not fall into line like little puppy-dogs. I respect France, Germany and Russia for having the balls to go with what they feel and not just agree with Bush.

Well the war is on, and I would prefer to see a Navy Seals team just sneek in and kill Saddam and end this issue immediately and then we can have the US puppet regime set-up cause you know it is going to happen and then they will probably cut off France's oil because they did not side with us, it is worse then a bunch of 5 year olds in the school yard!
                    Blair
                    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Bah, Saddams been shitting the bed for 12 years while the UN pixie danced around trying to come to a civil solution. They accomplished Sweet FA in the last 12 years, and Saddam shows no signs of letting up. When you **** the bed, it stinks, you gotta change the sheets, and I think the US is looking to do that, and clean house as well.

I am not an advocate of war, but I dont think this will be settled anby other way. Sure, we could go back to talks but thats just postponing the inevitable.

Swift and Precise, give the Iraqi people their lives back. I hate Saddam, not Iraq.
                      Candy White 2007 GTI APR'd

Comment

I do not favour saddam, I have more of a problem what this war may represent. By going against the U.N. and going to war, the U.N. is now useless as a global governing organization. What does this say to other hostile countries or for all that matter, any country that would like to go to war. What's to stop any other country from attacking another now.

I do have sympathy for the US. I feel they are often in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. If they stay out of conflicts, the world frowns on them for being a big dog and not helping resolve an issue, especially armed conflicts. If they do take part, they are seen as bullies. Somalia is an example.

Comment

Working...
                        X