Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV show building a new custom Jetta this Wednesday

Originally posted by Stonewall
    I watched it, wasn't impressed. They are using a 2.5 auto! but I guess what is all that would have been available when filming.
    auto omg omg omg
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
      auto omg omg omg
      I was SOOOO sad to see a 2.5 auto Jetta . . . the Skyline team must be salivating. I was really hoping for a MkIV 1.8t or VR6 . . . Actually, deep down I was hoping to see a GTI V 2.0T. I'm sure they'll do a great job with the Jetta, but I've already lost some interest.

Comment

Yea, it's a pretty unfair competition. When they were doing the dino's it was like 260 for the skyline, 190 something for the Cobalt and ........132!!! for the Jetta, and it's an auto. PLUS it's an AWD skyline to boot!

Yea, not sure what's going to happen, I mean, if anyone can do it ABD can but sheesh. I hope they are allowed to put a manual gearbox in it.

Also, something I didn't know is that the engine cover is the airbox too, I think even they were kind of shocked. I wonder how the aftermarket comunity is going to do CAI's and such.

All in all, I have a feeling the Jetta is going to lose. ABD's strategy is to not have the fastest car but to make it the most well rounded. I'm curious to see how they make "custom" springs for the car.
        Jay

Comment

jetta will win, remember folks, its half a lamborghini engine under the bonnet so i'm sure it can do 250hp NA if the lambo is 500hp....
          2002 VW Golf GT TDI
          2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Originally posted by bart
            jetta will win, remember folks, its half a lamborghini engine under the bonnet so i'm sure it can do 250hp NA if the lambo is 500hp....
            no it cant
            Simon

Comment

Originally posted by bart
              I don't think 250 will be even close to enough for this competition. The Skyline has somewhere in the 260 range (I think I was making super so I may have heard it wrong) and they said they are looking to at least double it, and maybe even approach tripling that number.

And the Cobalt they farmed out the motor and it's getting totally stripped and built back up again.

Like I said, if anyone can do it ABD can, but that car is def. out of it's league in this competition. Why they didn't use a MK4 1.8T or VR6 I don't know, I mean the skyline is a 93 and has never been sold in NA so it's not like they need to use an "off the lot" car.
              Jay

Comment

I want that half hour of my life back.

Basically one of the worst, stupidest tuner shows I have seen. So many things wrong with it. The "competition" is totally lame, the teams are unbalanced, the cars are unbalanced, they don't even have fixed budgets. The cars are also pretty lame, although the skyline is a cool car everybody knows you can tune one. The GM car is cool but since its GM doing the tuning its kind of biased - GM already sells 800hp turbo 2.0L ecotec engines in crates, why don't they just drop in one of those babies? I threw up at the VW part, not only is tuning a 2.5L auto jetta the worst idea ever, but the wizards at ABD are in charge, and their idea of tuning is putting on a body kit.
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                  I want that half hour of my life back.

Basically one of the worst, stupidest tuner shows I have seen. So many things wrong with it. The "competition" is totally lame, the teams are unbalanced, the cars are unbalanced, they don't even have fixed budgets. The cars are also pretty lame, although the skyline is a cool car everybody knows you can tune one. The GM car is cool but since its GM doing the tuning its kind of biased - GM already sells 800hp turbo 2.0L ecotec engines in crates, why don't they just drop in one of those babies? I threw up at the VW part, not only is tuning a 2.5L auto jetta the worst idea ever, but the wizards at ABD are in charge, and their idea of tuning is putting on a body kit.
                  Yea, none of the choices really make sense, like the cars don't have to be "new" or "available in NA". Like you said no budgets, and there doesn't seem to be any rules or restrictions as to what you can or can't do.

And I thought ABD did great work? Wait, I think I had them mixed up with HPA.
                  Last edited by Tuna; 06-30-2005, 09:46 AM.
                  Jay

Comment

See not having full cable is not so bad afterall. Well I guess we can see how the Jetta looks when they are done I am starting to see quite a few Jetta V's out on the roads these days too!
                    Blair
                    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

I want my 1/2 hour back too. The only reason I can see ABD going the jetta is as a marketing ploy. A way to jump ahead of the other tuner shops showing that they can mod mk5's. I can already tell what they rest of the compition is going to be like:
                      1. Skyline due to "wow you can't get that here" and high Hp numbers
                      2. Cobalt as they can throw soooo much $$ at it and they designed the damn thing.
                      3. Jetta it will get a little vote in the show portion but get raped in the other 2 parts sooo bad that everyone will forget about it.
                      Name: Brent
                      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

i havent watched this yet... but read that article, and the 3 cars aren't even comparable, sooo stupid, whatever lol
                        2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                        2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

The cobalt might beat the skyline, that would be funny but very possible.
                          KR
                          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

i spy, with my little eyes, the jetta will look something like this...

2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                            2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Nice catch Bart, I ahve seen those pics before but just never put the two together before. Well atleast is won't be a total blow out since it looks like they turboed it!
                              Name: Brent
                              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

WOW! i wonder how that thing is.. interesting front end looks alot better without the chrome for sure

Comment

Working...
                                X