Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can anyone school me about trucks?

Originally posted by Tuna
    I And Toyota does qualify as a major truck brand in my opinion, but imports don't have diesels yet, and toyota's been kind of taking a hit lately as they have way lower hp ratings over the competition (actually Nissan has been blowing away everyone in the 1/2 ton department). One of the main reasons my friend is getting rid of his tacoma is because it can't pull squat (and he wouldn't mind more room too)
    My dad traded his chevy 1/2 ton for a new Tacoma this year, the chev just FELL APART, it had 40,000km and was not a work truck and **** was literally falling off the thing, the clearcoat on 2 of his wheels went, the suspension was sloppy, the tranny was already struggling to find gears if you stomped..everything.

The Tacoma, however, is an awesome truck, if they had those in diesel I'd have to consider getting rid of the jetta! 6 speed 260hp (i think)..its not a work truck by any means but for what I, and most of us here, would use it for its perfect
    REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
    -james

Comment

I have a friend who works as a service advisor for a Ford dealership and I have been told that the Ford 6 litre diesels are utter crap. They are a nightmare to work on, and the fueling system and the induction system are VERY prone to failure.

From a technical standpoint the Cummins is the way to go. It has the better fueling system, better electronics, and it is an inline 6 which every REAL diesel (whose design is not dictated by marketing) is built as. Okay, they aren't all I6's but they are multiples of 6

The Cummins also has the best aftermarket support. A couple quick mods and you have yourself well over 1,000 lb-ft of torque.

Dammit, I messed my undies again thinking of that.

Comment

I am kinda partial to Chevy's. I love the silverados. The thing I like abou the chevy diesel's is that they have the best transmission choices. You can get an Alisson 1000 auto or a 6spd manual which from what I hear is pretty bad @$$ My family has owned a few dodges and were always having trans problems. Just something to think about.
        2004 Reflex Silver GTi 1.8t
        1991 passat GT wolfsburg edition (euro spec)
        1982 golf GTI (euro spec)
        Autocross: the miniature golf of road racing

Comment

I think it comes down to which body you like the best.

All of the engines make about the same power and all have the same reliability issues. If you never chip them or nothing I don't think you would have much trouble with any of them. My father-in-law has a 98 Dodge (which has been modded) and he uses a tranny about every 30000k. Dodges used to have bad wiring but I think the new ones solved that problem. Go with the manual if you plan on a Dodge. Haven't heard anythink bad about the GM's. Good tranny. Ford's 6L had some early injector issues 2 years ago. Wife's uncle just bought a new Dodge. Very Nice. My dad's on his second with about 70000K+ on the first with zero issues. Fords advantage is the chassis. Better brakes and rear end. Plus the new ones have the integrated trailer brake control.

In a perfect world I would go with the Cummins 5.9, the Allison tranny and the Ford Chassis.

Good luck.
          2008 BMW 335i

Comment

I did a quick look on edmunds today and the F150 is still rated at 202hp while the Nissan (only been in the market a couple years) is rated at 305. And the big 3 wonder why they keep getting beat at their own game

Huh?

The F150 5.4L 3-Valve 300HP and 365 lbft.
            The Hemi 5.7L 345HP and 375 lbft
            The Nissan 5.6L 305HP and 369 lbft
            2008 BMW 335i

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Hammer
              I think it comes down to which body you like the best.

All of the engines make about the same power and all have the same reliability issues. If you never chip them or nothing I don't think you would have much trouble with any of them. My father-in-law has a 98 Dodge (which has been modded) and he uses a tranny about every 30000k. Dodges used to have bad wiring but I think the new ones solved that problem. Go with the manual if you plan on a Dodge. Haven't heard anythink bad about the GM's. Good tranny. Ford's 6L had some early injector issues 2 years ago. Wife's uncle just bought a new Dodge. Very Nice. My dad's on his second with about 70000K+ on the first with zero issues. Fords advantage is the chassis. Better brakes and rear end. Plus the new ones have the integrated trailer brake control.

In a perfect world I would go with the Cummins 5.9, the Allison tranny and the Ford Chassis.

Good luck.
              Wow thanks! lots of good info here. And I agree, I like the cummins, Allison, and the look of the Ford too.
              Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Hammer
                Huh?

The F150 5.4L 3-Valve 300HP and 365 lbft.
                The Hemi 5.7L 345HP and 375 lbft
                The Nissan 5.6L 305HP and 369 lbft
                I just went back there to figure out what happened. I was looking at the Chevy and I just hit "compare" and it gave me the 6cyl 2dr model for some stupid reason (maybe it thought I was looking at the bottom line models or something). Anyway, the 6cyl F-150 (didn't even know they still made one) is rated at 202hp.
                Last edited by Tuna; 07-07-2005, 01:45 PM.
                Jay

Comment

I just went back there to figure out what happened. I was looking at the Chevy and I just hit "compare" and it gave me the 6cyl 2dr model for some stupid reason (maybe it thought I was looking at the bottom line models or something). Anyway, the 6cyl F-150 (didn't even know they still made one) is rated at 202hp.
                  Ford didn't initially but for some reason they felt the need to bring it back. What are you planning on towing with you new diesel? The Nissan will tow up to 9500 lb. I would buy one of those if I was going to buy new. Problem with the diesels is the $7000 premium they want for the engine upgrade, not to mention that the typical heavy duty is ~1500 more than the 1/2 ton. You'll never make up the cost diff with gas.
                  2008 BMW 335i

Comment

Working...
                  X