Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for cable modem, advice, switching providers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for cable modem, advice, switching providers...

I've decided to change over to 3web, my customer loyalty discount is up at Telus, and its costing me $42.50 a month for measly 1.5Mbit service, with a 10 gig cap....So, I'm looking for a little advice, I'm new to the cable market! I was told by someone that the new Motorola Docsis modems cannot have usage tracked on them: myth or fact?

Next up, who uses 3web, its the shaw system so I would imagine the same modems would apply...They sell the modems for $100 bucks from 3web, but does anyone here have one to get rid of, or know anyone selling one?

Which modem is better?? The Motorola SB5100 surfboard (its older?), or the RCA DCM315R?? Both are Docsis 2.0 compatible, so speed isn't an issue.....I also heard the motorola ones are better, and judging by the rest of the motorola electronics I use and abuse on a daily basis, quality isn't an issue...

If anyone can hook me up with a software bundle from 3 web that would be cool too...
    Thanks in advance....
    Last edited by Aleks; 07-19-2005, 06:17 PM.
    2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
    2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
    2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Re: Looking for cable modem, advice, switching providers...

I've read the support bites as they have to contact Shaw who then deals with it. Search beyond and see if anything bad comes up. Also, I would assume since they are a reseller, they will track usage more than Shaw - similar to Nucleus. If you have cable I'd just bundle it as it's cheaper. That's the only reason I switched.

Several of the modems record usage internally so after a big week of downloading, power it off and back on.

Khyron
    Geoff
    Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

I have no intention of ever buying cable TV...its a total ripoff, cost wise, for what you get compared to sat.....
      2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
      2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
      2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

$42.50? I've been with Telus forever, never asked for a deal and my bill is $34.95 + tax (37.40)

Call telus tell them you are leaving for a better deal and bet they drop their pants to match.
        Jeff
        2006 Jetta TDI

"If you think you don't like change, you will like obsolesence even less."

Comment

i've been on shaw for over 5 years now and i'll stay with them for life.. sure its 40/mo but i never get calls.. my speeds pwn.. and i still have my OG motorola cybersurfer modem

Comment

Originally posted by hifiguy
            $42.50? I've been with Telus forever, never asked for a deal and my bill is $34.95 + tax (37.40)

Call telus tell them you are leaving for a better deal and bet they drop their pants to match.
            Baa mine is like $45 always has been, we phoned to say we where cancelling unless they dropped it but they said they couldn't due to CRTC laws or something, I called BS on the guy and hung up.
            Name: Brent
            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Again, its not only the price, its the speed I get for that price...Telus charges the same if not > than others for 1.5Mbit downstream...I could buy "enhanced" which is 2.5Mbit, but again, cost exceeds that of its competitors....Plus, they are beginning to enforce a 10GB cap/month on bandwidth......I can get 7Mbit service thru 3web for $34/month, unlimited bandwidth....Hence the changover...Telus can do virtually whatever they want, they suck ass, and do not listen to the needs of their customers....

Comment

Originally posted by Aleks
                Telus can do virtually whatever they want, they suck ass, and do not listen to the needs of their customers....
                very well said
                i hate telus
                Dayle

GTI

Mk3's

Comment

im on shaw, to buy a modem from them is only $60..Do. It.
                  Im downloading albums from work on an RDP session to home gettin like 500k-800k during non-peak hours
                  REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                  -james

Comment

I'm getting an SB5100 for $70 today....seems ok for a deal, same as Ebay, cheaper than 3web....I'm happy.....Now, I have to check out that software package, apparently you can buy it through Staples, or $20 thru 3web.....The only thing I hate the most, is the changing of an email address, as well as I need a place to put all the pics in my personal webspace....

Comment

I'm getting an SB5100 for $70 today....seems ok for a deal, same as Ebay, cheaper than 3web....I'm happy.....Now, I have to check out that software package, apparently you can buy it through Staples, or $20 thru 3web.....The only thing I hate the most, is the changing of an email address, as well as I need a place to put all the pics in my personal webspace....
                      Just register a cheap domain and you usually get free email forwarding. Or use gmail!
                      KR
                      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I'm getting an SB5100 for $70 today....
                        I have the same one...for $60 from shaw...which drops the cost 5/mo from your internet bill, making it 35/mo.
                        REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                        -james

Comment

1.5mbit down for $40 a month? you have got to be kidding.

in winnipeg we have 3/5/7mb down for 30,40,50 a month
                          Simon

Comment

Yep, thats telus....And James, Extreme is more than that thru Shaw....Regardless, if I choose to change, I will already have the modem....may as well try the free month of 3web....

Comment

speaking of nerdy stuff today i sold out and bought a 20gig ipod color.. fresh off the boat.. good stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X