No announcement yet.

for all you guys with crotch rockets...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for all you guys with crotch rockets...

well i think everyone can agree it finally feels like summer today and i've developed a little bit of speed envy... i'm seriously interested in buying a used bike, probobly a little later this year like in the off season just cause they all seem to be a little too pricy for me right now cause its summer. i'd like to go with 600 cc cause 900 is way too much for me. and i love the look of honda CBR's and yamaha R6's. i'm just curious as to what to look for when buying used? and i know there's a couple guys on the boards that have motorcycles can you guys point me in the right direction. thanks!

Re: for all you guys with crotch rockets...

It's death on a stick mate! I know if I got a bike, I'd kill myself.

Originally posted by Hardy_Boy
    well i think everyone can agree it finally feels like summer today and i've developed a little bit of speed envy... i'm seriously interested in buying a used bike, probobly a little later this year like in the off season just cause they all seem to be a little too pricy for me right now cause its summer. i'd like to go with 600 cc cause 900 is way too much for me. and i love the look of honda CBR's and yamaha R6's. i'm just curious as to what to look for when buying used? and i know there's a couple guys on the boards that have motorcycles can you guys point me in the right direction. thanks!
    Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
    You dig sucka?!

Comment

2005 Triumph Speed Triple for me . .. in 2007 of course

Comment

I have 800cc......in my new car

I dont think I would ever get a bike just a bit to crazy in my mind.
        Blair
        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

yeah I love them... but I know I would not be around 2 days later
          2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by James
          My engine may be a solid 4 liters smaller than yours, but i have a HUGE penis

Comment

Well same for me...gotta love 'em but I know I would be dead the next day.

But it's like buying a car: Look for leaks, how it sounds, tire wear, check the sides to see if they crashed it, or layed it down. km's.

I don't have a bike but been around them for awhile, but yeah good choices, I'd go with either the R6 or the CBR. Good reliable bikes, some of my friends have them.

Hope that helped

Comment

I got my 98 for around 6K and it only had 1200kms on it (they were 12K new). So used is the right idea. Also 600 ccs is perfect as 500 drops down into the 2 cyl territory and while is a good starter bike, you'll be wanting an upgrade a few months later.

Look to see if it's been dropped. Obvious pieces like the plastic trim will have been replaced or painted - look for big scratches on the frame and swingarm. I had a little crash in a parking lot and while the bike is perfectly safe, the frame is slightly bent when you look from the rear.

Check for low kms, black brake fluid, bald tires. I bought mine used from a bike shop - your a little less likely to get screwed that way.

Also, save almost 1K for equipment like a proper helmet, jacket, gloves, pants and possibly boots. You have no airbags to save your skin on a bike.

Before you buy, take the motorcycle training course - they are a few classes and a full weekend of parking lot work. I have never heard anyone say they didn't find it incredibly useful. A friend can teach you, but the road test doesn't show you ****. Counter steering, driving over obstacles like tires etc are all really important and good to practice on someone elses beater bikes (which the schools provide). The idiots who crash and get hurt the first year of owning a bike? Mostly those who never learnt how to steer properly.

Khyron
              Geoff
              Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

yea for sure i'd get full leathers, and take the training course. khyron if you don't mind me asking what store did you buy yours used from?
                Last edited by Hardy_Boy; 08-01-2005, 11:03 AM.

Comment

im gonna be taking the plunge next year.
                  problem is i KNOW i have a need for speed issue, and i know how i drive and how i mtn bike. i am worried it am gonna end up in a pile of mush stretching 200 yards down the road.

take a course is what all my friends with bikes have said. they also said "act like every cager (person in a car) is out to kill you" and thats how you avoid accidents.
                  Team Highschool
                  Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Bought mine from Blackfoot, but Bow Cycle or Walt Healy would have been fine too. A full leather suit is a bit much unless you're going to track it, in which case it's the only option. But for street driving I didn't bother because I knew I wouldn't wear it when driving to work or a quick cruise on a hot day.

Should maybe consider getting one that's been beat up a bit as your first. Huge price discount and you won't burst into tears the first time you drop it.

Khyron
                    Geoff
                    Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

yea but i don't want some huge Piece Of Sh!t, i don't really care if its been dropped a few times and has paint scrathes. it doesn't need to be in mint condition cause i'm sure it wouldn't be too much to paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron
                        I had a little crash in a parking lot and while the bike is perfectly safe, the frame is slightly bent when you look from the rear.

Khyron
                        Perfectly safe and slightly bent frame don't belong in the same sentence. That is dangerous $hit.
                        2003 Passat 1.8T

Comment

Having owned sportbikes since 1990, A 600 is a good bike to have, i have owned 2 gsxr 1100's and a couple of 600's. I find i can ride the 600's faster because the power is more controlable. A cbr or r6 are both great bikes (i ride a cbr). When looking for one check the chain/sprockets and tires which are normal items you will have to change, but see if its been down hard (scratches on any part of the bike), and yes a minor bend in the frame or subframe can have an adverse affect at 200km (or any speed). I would check the paper or bargin finder. Lots of Cbr f4's out there, comfy, reliable and the price is right. I never ride with out my equipment, seen too many crashes with shorts and t-shirts. If you need any info or have questions let me know, i will try to help ya out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardy_Boy
                            yea but i don't want some huge Piece Of Sh!t, i don't really care if its been dropped a few times and has paint scrathes. it doesn't need to be in mint condition cause i'm sure it wouldn't be too much to paint.
                            Allignment/steering geomoetry is VERY important when looking for a used bike. Make sure there's no play where the fork meets the frame. Also, make damn sure that there's no marks or gouges on the fork tubes (where they actually enter the forks . . . if that makes sense) because if your suspension goes tits up, get ready to shell out more dough than reasonable. A wet plate clutch, if the bike has it, is very easy to work on.

When/if I do buy, I'll be damned sure to pick up a set of frame sliders.

Comment

thanks for all the info. anyway i hit up blackfoot today, they didn't have many used bikes. i figured just cause its so late in the season. this one girl i talked to seriously wanted me to buy new, only because the intrest rates are so low... i wanted to buy a bike say for $7000 she would have wanted me to put that as a down payment on a new bike. and then pay somethin glike $170 a month for 60 months. hahaha it was just stupid cause chances are i wouldn't even own the bike for that period of time... today i realiezed financing is offically retarded!! i'll go back in the off season when i'm sure there will be more bikes for sale and i'll just fork out the complete cost of the bike. but in the mean time i'll probobly pick up some gear .

what about private sale would you guys recommend it?

Comment

Working...
                              X