Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aston Martin beats Wright Brothers

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/23/a...n-wright-bros/

Last weekend during a practice lap at Mid-Ohio Raceway the 009 Aston Martin ALMS went airborne off the track and "flew" 142 feet before landing off the track in the dirt. The track was reportedly wet and the unidentified driver lost control under braking. Fortunately his car was the only one on that part of the track at the time and it amazingly remained level during its separation with terra firma.

These pics were found on the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club (NASIOC) forum, and those guys know a lot about flying cars from watching Subies take flight in World Rally competition. One astute forum member noted that the first record of powered flight by the Wright brothers on December 17th, 1903 lasted for 120 feet and 12 seconds. We checked it out, it's true, which means the Aston beat the Wright brothers' first flight by 22 feet.

Check out more pics after the jump including the takeoff and landing. Word is there was video shown on TV of the accident, so kudos to whoever can find it first.
    Tim
    "When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer."

Re: Aston Martin beats Wright Brothers

Wow thats pretty insane
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

that's awesome
      Kyle
      2000 Audi S4

Comment

Wow...
        Matt - A3

Comment

Where you reading digg today too lol
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

of course
            Tim
            "When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer."

Comment

Spotted a black Aston AM Vantage last night at Willow Park Village for some slightly related content
              Blair
              Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Spotted one Saturday night on 17th Ave. I think the driver saw me staring at his car and gave me a wierd look, but he's driving an Aston Martin, what does he epxect?
                Road Runner
                Le Mans Blue BMW 135i- M sport Package

Comment

I have seen the Silver one a few times downtown after work, he's got some nice eye candy in the car to
                  2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by James
                  My engine may be a solid 4 liters smaller than yours, but i have a HUGE penis

Comment

BS, the wheels aren't turning in the photo...hoax.

Comment

I have seen video of it and the car is actually flying backwards, so it is real, but the picture makes it look a little more spectacular because the ground is not visible.
                      Blair

Comment

Link to video here
                        Blair

Comment

Working...
                        X