Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Importing a car to Canada

From Leftlane News

If you live in Canada, you're probably already aware the Canadian dollar matched the U.S. dollar for the first time since 1976 yesterday. Canada's currency has been inching toward par all year, finally coming in line with the greenback on Thursday. Unfortunately for Canadians, car prices have not kept up with trend. But that may be about to change.

Back when it took $1.50 in Canada to match one U.S. dollar, Canada's higher car prices were perfectly logical. A car the sold for $50,000 in America would sticker for $75,000 at a Canadain dealership. Those days are long gone, but car prices remain high.

Take the Porsche Cayman S, for example. If a car shopper in Canada heads to his or her nearest Porsche dealership this weekend, they will have to shell out nearly $85,000 for the mid-engine coupe — a whopping $26,000 more than the U.S. MSRP of $59.000. Similarly, a BMW M5 retails for $83,000 in America and $113,000 in Canada.

According to Quebec's Guide Auto website, luxury automakers including BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Porsche, and others are preparing to cut their Canadian prices by up to 15 percent in response to the currency changes. According to the French publication, Porsche plans to drop the price of its Cayman S by $10,000 in Canada — a modest cut, but a far cry from the full $26,000 difference.

As for the rest of the auto industry, Guide Auto didn't say whether domestic prices would be adjusted. Even the entry-level Saturn Sky costs $7,000 more in Canada than in America. Even the Dodge Charger — which is built in Canada — costs $6,000 more at Canadian dealers.

The currency problem poses a serious dilemma to automakers, who have to keep new car shoppers happy, without sending the value of used cars plummeting or enraging buyers who make their purchase before price cuts.

Automakers are expected to announce Canadian pricing for the 2008 model year next month. Many analysts suspect Canadians will turn to importing vehicles from America if major price cuts are not implemented.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
      Many analysts suspect Canadians will turn to importing vehicles from America if major price cuts are not implemented.
      Put me down as Canadian Auto Industry mutiny No.1 if they don't. I have no problems with buying a slightly used ride from San Francisco or somewhere in Cali, with or without warranty... driving my car back along the coast from Cali to Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver prior to engaging in some serious twisties on the Crowsnest Highway back towards Cowtown.

I mean at a par dollar and factoring in a 6.1% duty + $2,200 for the paperwork and flight down/meals/gas/hotels/etc.... this seems like a no-brainer to me... provided you treat the trip home as a vacation and not a "chore". Like really... here's a few comparo's:

Automobile U.S. Base + Costs Cdn. Base Savings
      VW GTi $25,775 $29,575 $3,800
      VW Touareg $43,920 $49,975 $6,055
      BMW 535xi $56,950 $71,500 $14,550
      Audi RS4 $73,190 $94,200 $21,010
      BMW M6 $107,560 $128,300 $20,740

???

P.S. Cdn. Prices on the Porsche site currently say "To Be Announced" so perhaps there is still hope after all?
      Rob
      Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
      Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

How "american" do you really have to be to purchase a new car from some of these dealerships?

My mom is actually going down to the USA for a mini-vacation and to check out some cars this weekend. Her brother has a Condo in Arizona. Can she just use his address claiming she lives there? or would that only work if it was a cash deal b/c of all the financing etc (which are obviously going to be linked to her cdn address)
        Last edited by N'Syncro; 09-21-2007, 02:01 PM.
        Chris

Comment

I'm going to cry if Audi drops the price on the TT by 10 or 15%. That will decimate the value of my brand new car.
          billip
          2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Why would the American dealer even see your financing? They don't finance foreigners so you have to have that all in place before you go. They want to see $$$ in one form or another.
            Geoff
            Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron View Post
              Why would the American dealer even see your financing? They don't finance foreigners so you have to have that all in place before you go. They want to see $$$ in one form or another.

YOUR RITE.
              only cash or money order / bankdraft.

Comment

Working...
              X