Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil

is anybody using Amsoil full synthetic Oil for their diesels (TDI)
    THEY BOAST TO BE THE BEST IN OIL.
    i have 500 litres of factory oil coming in produced by AGIP 5W-40
    EVEN THE FACTORY doesn't use Castrol.

heres my info on amsoil but it's expensive with my discount it's still 35.00$
    for 4 litres.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for visiting our Amsoil web site and requesting additional information.

Attached to this email is an important AMSOIL products usage guide in Adobe Acrobat format. You may wish to glance over it before making any product orders.

Many people ask me how come they can’t find Amsoil at places like Auto Zone, Discount Auto, most quick lubes or Wal-Mart.

Amsoil did try retailing their products in stores back in the early 1970’s and the growth was dismal. For one thing, Amsoil makes the best motor oil in the world, 2nd to none, and that is proven with industry standard ASTM tests. It makes engines, transmissions and drivetrains last much longer than the car and motorcycle manufacturers designed them to and is the only company that makes motor oil last up to 1 year or 25,000 miles, and 35,000 miles respectively, before needing it to be drained.

Many auto and retail stores sell motor oil as a “loss leader” just to get foot traffic in the door so that they can make money on high margin items like cheap oil and air filters, windshield wiper blades, rags, tools, car wax, etc. The agenda of these companies is to have you come in and have you come in often. That 3,000 mile oil change is the biggest scam to help them pull this off. The last thing they want is to sell people motor oils like Amsoil that last up to 1 year. With the 3,000 mile oil being sold, this gives people a reason to keep going back to the store many times per year. If everyone sold Amsoil, hardly anyone would ever show up until they hit that one-year mark. Their agenda is not about saving you money on fuel by selling you a better oil or giving you the convenience of having to only do an oil change once per year. There’s no profit in that. And to think, as long as they sell the cheap stuff, they don’t need to have highly paid knowledgeable employees on staff to be around to answer questions. If they carried Amsoil, then somebody would have to be around to answer questions, such as me.

To get around selling Amsoil in local stores, they have independent dealers, such as myself, to help facilitate sales. Dealers are not required to carry inventory as Amsoil drop ships to all customers. Dealers are used to give tech support over the phone, email or through the mail to the customers allotted to them. When Amsoil switched over to independent dealers, like me, their company grew about 5x the size in the very next year in business.

Over the years, customers complained that the oil took too long to ship or that shipping charges would be too expensive if they lived far from a distribution warehouse. Therefore Amsoil has strategically placed warehouses all across the US and Canada to speed up shipping times and keep shipping costs at a bare minimum. Amsoil makes no profit on shipping and only charges what UPS charges them (unlike many mail order companies that like to gouge people on shipping.) Orders are placed to a single toll-free number during business hours and then the order is dispatched to the closest warehouse located near you. You can order on-line, but doing it the first time is easier when you speak with an operator and then you can register as a “preferred customer” to get additional discounts.

Here are all of the fulfillment centers that Amsoil ships from. The one closest to you is the one that ships to you:

Anchorage, AK
    Chicago, IL
    Columbus, OH
    Dallas, TX
    Lancaster, PA
    Las Vegas, NV
    Orlando, FL
    Richmond, VA
    Superior, WI
    Wichita, KS
    Carolina, Puerto Rico
    Toronto, Ontario (Canada)
    Edminton, Alberta (Canada)

People who are in Amsoil’s computer system and registered as “authorized dealers” or “preferred customers” can go to the warehouse and pick up locally if they happen to live close by.

Amsoil drop-ships using UPS. Placing an order is as simple as picking up a phone and making a phone call, thus eliminating the ordeal of having to drive all over town looking for a local dealer. A simple phone call and your order can arrive sometimes as fast as the very next day. And if there were local dealers, what dealer do you think is going to be sitting around waiting by the phone or checking email to answer your questions and send you technical data sheets on any of the oil that you were considering on buying the way I would? That would require too much overhead at a fast-paced retail store.

Since so many people commonly ask me about this, so I would like to focus on three of the most popular AMSOIL synthetic oil products for gasoline engines: the 10W-30 and 5W-30 synthetic motor oils and the 0W-30 Severe Service synthetic motor oil. I will review each without going into complicated technical descriptions so you have the correct information to know what to use in your vehicles and/or recommend for your customers.

Before we get started let me explain the basics of viscosity and oil nomenclature: For example a 10W-30, 5W-30 and 0W-30 oil are all 30 weight oils. The differences occur in that the 10W, 5W and 0W each is a little bit different in cold weather (W stands for Winter). The 10W-30 acts like a 10 weight oil in winter weather until it warms up and then it is a 30 weight oil. The 5W-30 oil acts like a 5 weight oil in winter weather and when it warms up is a 30 weight oil. Same theory holds true for the 0W-30 oil. The differences are ever so slight that you would not be able to differentiate which one was in your engine without the use of specialized engine testing equipment. In fact 5W, 10W and 0W are strictly empirical numbers. In order to discern the differences one needs to review the kinematic viscosity of each lubricant. Kinematic viscosity is measured in Centistokes and is essentially the amount of time, in Centistokes, it takes a lubricant to flow through a fixed orifice at both 100 deg. Celcius and 40 deg. Celcius. For example, the kinematic viscosity, at 40 deg. C or AMSOIL 5W-30 is 59.5, AMSOIL 10W-30 is 66.1 and AMSOIL 0W-30 is 57.3. So as you can see the values are extremely close to each other.

In respect to the 5W-30 vs. the 10W-30 there are virtually no major differences other than the 10W-30 is formulated for turbocharged engines. Therefore when you use it in a non-turbocharged engine you get that extra measure of protection. The 5W-30 is often used by those customers that go exactly by the book and will only use what their owners manual says. Even though the price is the same I always attempt to sell them on the superiority of the 10W-30.

In my business I recommend the 10W-30 or 0W-30 even when the manufacturers recommendations call for a 5W-30 or a 5W-20. You see, I work directly with an engineer at one of these automotive manufacturers in Detroit, MI and I will let you in on a little secret: the auto manufacturers like to use low viscosity, low grade petroleum oils so that the vehicles get better CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) and wear-out sooner (yes, you did read that correctly and it is true, they do design your vehicle and components to have a finite life within certain mileage ranges using petroleum oil). CAFE is mandated by the Federal Government and it is the average fuel economy of the entire vehicle line a manufacturer produces. Big trucks and SUV's are highly profitable where small cars are not, so in order to get the CAFE #'s reported to the Federal Government higher and be able to sell more SUV's and trucks they use lighter viscosity oils to compensate like a 5W-30 or 5W-20 so fuel economy increases (only in controlled lab tests which is why you'll NEVER notice any difference in your vehicle). These 5W-20 oils, in my opinion, (and that of many other automotive engineers) is that these oils do not provide an adequate level of protection for long term wear protection and durability of your vehicle. This is why I will not recommend a 5W-20 lubricant for my customers. If you want a better more detailed explanation of this you can refer to my website and read "Ford and Honda's 5W-20 Issue". I have provided a link to my website at the end of this note. If you still just wish to use 5W-20, then AMSOIL does manufacture an excellent 5W-20 which far exceeds any OEM manufacturers specifications, but is is only a 7500 mile/6-month oil as compared to AMSOIL's 0W-30 which is a 35,000 mile/1-year oil.

In addition, when these CAFE tests are run they are run under strictly controlled conditions and with specially tested/supplied lubricants and fuels which are all within specifications, but optimized to provide the best characteristics of each specification. In fact, they don't even use standard pump grade fuel like is sold at retail gas stations. They use Indoline. That is why your vehicle rarely will achieve the fuel economy numbers stated on the window sticker.

Remember, the auto manufacturers are looking out for their best interests and profits, not yours. They figure if you get 100,000 to 150,000 miles out of your engine without any major problems then your satisfied & will trade it in or sell it and buy another one soon. With AMSOIL you will far exceed those mileage values and your vehicle(s) will be better protected, last longer and provide much better performance.

Also, I will explain that any Series 2000 or Series 3000 product AMSOIL manufactures is the best of the best. It is AMSOIL's super premium product, usually rated for extreme Severe Service and/or racing applications, but can be used in any application such as everyday driving, racing, severe service or other demanding applications.

AMSOIL's Series 2000 0W-30 Synthetic motor oil is based off the chemestry from AMSOIL's racing oil. The product code is TSO-O1 for a case of quarts or TSO-QT for individual quarts. It outperforms every other synthetic and petroleum oil on the market, including Castrol and Mobil1 5W-50 weight oils! The 0W-30 Series 2000 is a 35,000 mile/1-year motor oil. That means you can leave it in your engine for 35,000 miles or 1-year, whichever comes first. If you haven't put 35,000 miles on in 1-year then I recommend performing oil analysis testing prior to continued use, or just change your oil once a year. Pretty simple and easy to remember. The AMSOIL Absolute Effeciency filters (EAO) requires changing at 25,000 mile or 12 month intervals (whichever comes first). With this oil you will notice improved fuel economy due to reduced friction and increased performance and smoother operation. Although I do not like to quote mileage improvements, recently my Dad changed to the 0W-30 in his 2000 Ford Econoline with the 5.4L Triton engine and gained approximately 1.5-2 miles per gallon improvement. These kind of figures are very common with the 0W-30. I have several other customers that report similar improvements. I always recommend the 0W-30 Series 2000. If the customer is extremely conservative and cost conscious then I sell them the standard 10W-30.

The 10W-30 product code is ATM-01 for a case of 12 and ATM-QT for individual quarts. The 10W-30 synthetic oil is a 25,000 mile/1-year motor oil. The 10W-30 is a very good oil for all gasoline engines. You should also notice a fuel economy and performance improvement with the AMSOIL 10W-30 as well.

The performance and fuel economy improvements usually do not happen instantly. You need to drive the vehicle to allow the detergents in the AMSOIL to clean the petroleum oil deposits from the microscopic valleys in the steel and aluminum of your internal engine components. As it cleans the deposits out, AMSOIL molecules which are uniform in size and shape, and do not change size or shape with extreme heat or cold, will fill those valleys which will provide for a uniform layer of AMSOIL synthetic molecules on the surface layers of your engines internal components. That is why you will notice smoother, more responsive operation and a fuel economy improvement. If you have an engine with more than about 40-50,000 miles I recommend you use a can of AMSOIL engine flush prior to changing over to AMSOIL in order to clean out the increased amount of petroleum depostis which are present in higher mileage engines.

I hope this brief explanation helped you understand what is happening in your engine with AMSOIL. I tried to explain a highly complex chemical and mechanical process in a way that everyone can understand.

That's all for this e-mail. In future e-mails I will cover many more important aspects of the various AMSOIL products and their applications as well as other lubrication, filtration and business information.

I would like end this e-mail by letting you know what a truly wonderful company AMSOIL is. I cannot say enough positive things about the company and the products. I am very proud to be associated with such a quality company and am confident you would be also.

Prior to calling, you can see what filters and oil is recommended for your vehicle by first visiting this web site: Amsoil Online Application Guide

Re: Oil

i use delvac 1
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

I thought Amsoil just bought oil, played with it then shipped it out. From what I have read it is not a ton greater then anything else. I will have to have a chat with a buddy about it as he does oil analysis. The last job I worked at had an Amsoil licence even thought they never bought it (they where an electronics manufacture) so it looks like they gave them out at one time to anyone that asked for them. Personally I use Delo for my car, it doesn't meet the VW 505.0 standard but I am very sure it is darn close if not better, plus it is a hell of a lot cheaper.
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

castrol 4 life..

Comment

I usually stick with Pennzoil. Mind you mines not a diesel but pretty much the same thing
          -Drew
          2001 "BORA" GLS 1.8T
          1990 Lincoln Continental

Comment

I also use Delvac 1. A 4-4litres cost me about $120.

Comment

you mk4 guys should be using Motul!

Comment

what's oil?
                I'd like to make a statment!
                2012 Q5
                2011 A5

Comment

the stuff that goes in the hole where the 710 cap is
                  Stefan
                  -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                  -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                  -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                  -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

i think i'll stick with the euro oil, i just put it in my EuroVan and it already
                    sounds better and smoother.
                    at 5.45 per litre can"t go wrong.Euro oil for Euro Cars.

Comment

i have tore appart a few engines and since the advent of syntetic oils cyl wear is almost not measurable , i took apart a 2.4 dohc dodge engine once had 390,000kms on it (because it was leaking ) and we could have used the stock bearings and rings no wear was measurable , it was using mobil one , another car a 2.slow had almost 400,000kms on it used castrol syn, had a bit more wear than the mobil , but i had no need to machine it , just hone it and put new rings and bearings in , i dont belive in the "once a year oil change " for two reasons , 1 . who keeps thier car for longer than 3 years to determin the long term effects this has on the engine (thats like the lifetime warrenty dodge just realeased for the caravan its only for the original owner because we always sell our cars after 2.5 years ) , and 2. if you dont get your car in evry 3 months for a oil change how do you keep it inspected and make sure you dont have some new issue raising its head . sorry for the rant , but use any synthetic, and change it often ,
                      sigpic

Comment

I find it a little hard to believe its okay to do a oil change a year. First off I would love to see how clean that looks in a yr. Secondly, If its not a closed bmw system can you imagine teeling ppl there oil is good for a yr. Imagine how many ppl wouldnt pull out the dipstick to check there level as theyre good for one yr. To me changing your oil often is going to do better then not.

Comment

On a side. Ctire had castrol syntec vw blend for 23.99 4L last week.

Comment

Oil is fine for a year, it is the oil filter that isn't. Most synthetic oils have a very long life as they do not break down like convention oils. It is the metal particulates from the moving parts that are suspended in the oils that cause the wear and tear. Feel free to not believe such facts but I have studied it myself and also heard from a close friend who does oil analysis for a living. Also so boot yes those magnets you can buy to fit on the outside of your oil filter do help by trapping more metal particulates in the filter.
                            Name: Brent
                            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I don't doubt that at all. I understand that oil in lab conditions may last a year before becoming broken down.

Comment

Working...
                              X