temp sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temp sensor

Okay I tried for 2 hours today to get at the temp sensor for my 02 jetta diesel. No luck. I cant get the harness to come off and I cant get the stupid sensor itself out. Any ideas? Has to be an easier way to get at it. I tried from the top, then tried from the bottom/side. No luck. The only other wa I can think of getting to it is either taking out my battery and the holder(too much work) or trying again by taking off my belly pan and what ever else is in the way.
    How are you guys getting to it? Any tips on making this easy? I read one guy who says its being done in 10 mins. I am not sure how.

Re: temp sensor

really? i can't say I had nearly that much trouble....

( 6 is the coolant temperature sensor)

I think I took out my airbox, or at least the hose.
    My harness is different then that on in the pic. its a silly plastic thing that you can release from the top by twisting a screwdriver on top, or maybe with fingers.. They clip wont release if there is any tension on it, so press in a little on the harness if you can as you twist. (how do you get two hands in there? i don't remember that part... I have long fingers and skinny wrists). Mine is a simmler lock to what is on the the headlight harness. It was awkward - and they do break. I didnt break this one, but I broke a headlight one.... . I then was able to get the black clip off (7 in the pic) with a flat screwdriver. It is raised on the back of the 'C', so you can pry it off. Then sensor wiggles out (and coolant goes everywhere... if you do it like i did). Make sure you get the old o-ring out. mine stayed behind when I pulled the sensor.

The clip is a pain, but a flat screwdriver should get it off without hurting it.

(pics stolen from tdiclub)
    Last edited by stefan; 07-14-2008, 09:31 PM.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Thanks.

It explains a lot.

I was taking off the wrong thing in the wrong area. I have a repair manual that I was following and it said it was part of the radiator. So I was after a plug a thte bottom of the rad on the driver side. This makes it much easier. its in a totally different area.

Thanks again.

Comment

i hope i'm talking about the right sensor? Is there more than 1? I beleive this one comes up as "G2 Coolant temp sensor" or something very close in the Vag-Com. Its the one that gave me issues in my TDI.
        Last edited by stefan; 07-14-2008, 10:10 PM.
        Stefan
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Yep your right. It came up as a G2 code.

I am going to follow your stuff cause there is NO way I can get to the other one the book tells me.

Thanks again.

Comment

Yep that is the sensor you want to do. Have not had to replace one yet, but heard it was not too hard. What manual were you using that said to go to the bottom of the rad?
            Ben
            2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
            2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
            2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
            Her's
            2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Its all done. It took me 30 mins of easy work. Lost lots of coolant but I had a jug in the garage. Cleared the codes and everything works great. Thanks guys for the help. No idea why the book picture I was looking at told me the different location. I even took the book to a mechanic friend and he agreed the pic made it look like it was in the bottom of the rad.

Ryan

Comment

good job!
                Stefan
                -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Working...
                X