Question about importing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about importing

I tried looking through some of the old threads on the topic of importing but did not find the information I was looking for. If you are importing a 2005 or 2006 (private sale or from a dealership) vehicle that is used what do you do about getting it inspected? I may consider flying down to take a look at a few cars and make a vacation out of it but if there are a few cars around the US that I would consider it gets expensive fast.
    2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by James
    My engine may be a solid 4 liters smaller than yours, but i have a HUGE penis

Re: Question about importing

Originally posted by Russell View Post
    I tried looking through some of the old threads on the topic of importing but did not find the information I was looking for. If you are importing a 2005 or 2006 (private sale or from a dealership) vehicle that is used what do you do about getting it inspected? I may consider flying down to take a look at a few cars and make a vacation out of it but if there are a few cars around the US that I would consider it gets expensive fast.
    Good: Get http://www.carchex.com/ to check it out for you.
    Better: As you said, go check it or them out yourself.
    Best: Get a VW or whatever Certified vehicle.

What exactly are you looking for? You could also try Taylor's AutoMax in Great Falls, MT to do the work south of the border on your behalf?

In any event, the more reassurance you require, the more its going to cost you.

If you do decide to make a vacation out of it... head to California. That's where a lot of deals are happening, as I've been hearing.

Cheers... Deuce.
    Rob
    Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
    Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

I'm not looking to pick anything up as of right now, but in the next few months may look at bring something up from the US. I would consider a R32 (like everyone else), an Audi or a few other cars, right now I am just trying to figure how you go about importing into canada.
      2001.5 Audi S4

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
        I'm not looking to pick anything up as of right now, but in the next few months may look at bring something up from the US. I would consider a R32 (like everyone else), an Audi or a few other cars, right now I am just trying to figure how you go about importing into canada.

check out beyond.ca and the thread "jaymez's importing from the states thread" pretty much everything you need to know is there:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/107279/ja...tates-thread-/
        sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
        His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
        Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
        Past:
        B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
        B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
        2004 .:R32 BMP
        2001.5 Noggy blue s4
        2000 VW GTI 1.8T
        1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

Also,

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html
          &
          http://www.importcartocanada.info/

And don't do the brokerage thing, do it yourself. As one site said it best to me... "...if you have done enough research to have found this web page, save the $300 or whatever at the border and import the car yourself."
          Rob
          Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
          Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

This going to really change the way that the local car dealers do business. I think even for people who are not interested in importing a car themselves it will help them when the dealers bag on the manufacturers to lower the Canadian sticker price more in line with the US....I mean $20K difference on a Boxster...get real.
            2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Comment

i have a friend that does this he brings in about 7 cars a year and it's easy to do.
              Average profit 7-8k per car and still undercutting the used car lots.
              i just came back from Montanna to go check out a couple of cars smokin deals.
              buy the car drive across the border have your paper work handy pay the G.S.T.
              Toyota Tacoma 2 year old loaded about 9k cheaper.

Comment

Find what you like through AutoTrader, local/big forums, eBay and craigslist. Then search the VIN with CARFAX (it's what dealerships use to reduce their exposure).

Put a deposit on your top two or three in a small radius and head down.

Of course, first things first, check riv.ca to make sure it's admissible.

Check them out at a 3rd-party mechanic with a repurchase inspection to include compression tests... select your winner!

Try and find a car that wouldn't have gone through too much winter, in a southerly state. But beware that there may be other hazards just as bad as snow, like the abrasiveness of sand or water damage... that's where the CARFAX comes in handy, as well as a keen eye.

Your taxes at the border will line up like this: Purchase price x 1.061 (if manufactured outside CAN/US) + $100 A/C tax x 1.05 (GST) = Duty.

Be sure you have your SIGNED title in hand at the border, and have faxed the worksheet from the US Border Patrol website to the appropriate border crossing at least 72 hours in advance.

GL!
                Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Great post tactic. Thanks for that. I do see two little edits tho.

Your taxes at the border will line up like this: [Purchase price x 0.061 (if manufactured outside CAN/US/MEXICO)] + [$100 A/C tax] + [Purchase price x 0.05 (GST)] = Duty.
                  Last edited by cam_wmh; 07-22-2008, 11:54 AM.
                  Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

I think he was going for total price with duty
                    2001.5 Audi S4

Comment

oh my bad. on a positive note, we now have both formulas lol.
                      Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

Working...
                      X