vag-com question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vag-com question

I've got a generic usb cable and the freeware version of vag-com, 409.1 and 311.2

I can scan my own vehicles OK (both with aftermarket stereos) but I have tried to scan a couple of other Mk4s (which have OEM decks, at least on one, maybe on both) and on both, I couldnt even connect.

Any idea what is going on? I'd hate to once again tell someone I can scan them when I can't.
    Now: 00 2dr Golf TDI, 03 Jetta Wagon TDI, 02 2500HD Duramax
    Then: 69 SC Transporter, 84 Rabbit GTI, 87 Fox GL, 91 Golf IDI, 96 Passat Wagon TDI, 97 Jetta IDI
    "Everything I save by driving diesel I put back due to poor German engineering and crappy Mexican workmanship!"

Re: vag-com question

If they are 2004.5+ they are CAN-BUS based which I bet your cable is not made for therefor you can't scan them.
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

no, I dont think thats it

one was Kordain's and the other Kane, I think - pretty sure they were older than that

cant even connect is the problem, even though we tried with radio off, etc.
      Then: 69 SC Transporter, 84 Rabbit GTI, 87 Fox GL, 91 Golf IDI, 96 Passat Wagon TDI, 97 Jetta IDI
      "Everything I save by driving diesel I put back due to poor German engineering and crappy Mexican workmanship!"

Comment

Originally posted by ricosuave View Post
        no, I dont think thats it

one was Kordain's and the other Kane, I think - pretty sure they were older than that

cant even connect is the problem, even though we tried with radio off, etc.
        yup, mine's a 2000 model with aftermarket deck but rob could talk to it ok with deck on or off.
        Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

you can't use generic on all cars,i have cables for every make and model
          even a cable that has all the pins in it and it still won't read a VW.
          you need generic software with that cable.

Comment

If you're using winXP, microsoft updated the usb to serial drivers. I have major issues connecting with all the latest updates/SPs installed, but if I use an older imaged drive without all the updates, it works great.

I tried reverting back to the older drivers on the current drive, but it doesn't seem to help, some core driver files(????) don't go back.
            Satnam
            put.......put.......

.... ... .. .

Comment

Ill do that on another laptop Ive got, but its was actually on a win 2000 one....

and once again, no issues on my own 2 VWs

Comment

no other ideas?

Comment

Buy one from me...
                  Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
                  You dig sucka?!

Comment

I love my vista works with the real vag com cable on evry vag car . go figure .
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X