Satellite Radio install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satellite Radio install?

I am looking for a how to on how to install a satellite radio into my jetta.

It's an XM stand alone unit and I would like to hardwire it into the car. How would this be done? Has anyone done this before? I'm sure that someone has.

I am keeping the stock radio at this time and would be running the Sat via an unused FM frequency.
    Where is a good place for the antenna? I would like to install it behind the car's antenna. Is it possible.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Kona Bear; 08-08-2008, 12:51 PM.
    Mike
    '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Re: Satellite Radio install?

Yes, I had it done, super easy....Buy an Enfig adapter for your radio, buy a Panavise cell mount (mounts beside the climate control knobs), and its golden.....
    Last edited by Aleks; 08-08-2008, 07:27 PM.
    2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
    2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
    2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

I've done it in about 4 cars now and its super easy. The unit sits perfectly in the slot below the climate control stuff just ahead of the stick. Power is drawn from the deck and the antenna is ran through the taillight out to the top of the hatch. Looks super clean. Make sure to buy the direct line antenna adaptor, as the sound quality is much better. Ill try and snap some pics tomorrow to show you what it looks like.
      When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Comment

Thanks for the advice . If you could get those pics, that would be awesome!

Mike.
        Mike
        '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
        '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

I tried to find my pics but couldn't seem to....I'll have mine back in my VW here in a bit, so if you still haven't installed yours than you can see mine
          2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
          2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
          2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

If you wouldn't mind Aleks, that would be great!

Thanks.
            Mike
            '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
            '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

Hey I don't know if you have done your install yet but I'm sorry I haven't got pictures for you yet. My sat radio actually got stolen a month ago so I can't snap pics of mine. I was hoping to snap some pics of a friends jetta that I did the same install in but I haven't got a chance. If you want to hold out I can get pics by this weekend of the unit and antenna placement.

This is the only pic I can show you right now of my antenna on my GTI, but its really not much help

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Comment

Thanks Red. That's exactly where I want to put my antenna. If you could get those pictures that would be awesome. Would you be up for helping me install mine if I need the help? I'll provide beer....
                Mike
                '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
                '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

Bump...
                  I was hoping to do the install this long weekend. Where did everyone run there antenna wire? Through the head liner or on the floor? My car has curtain air bags. Besides disconnecting the battery, are there any other precautions I should be aware of? Any other tips or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.
                  Last edited by Kona Bear; 08-26-2008, 09:14 AM.
                  Mike
                  '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
                  '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

Working...
                  X