painting front and rear valance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting front and rear valance.

Has any one painted there mk4 front and rear valance's on their own? I have used the dupi-color paint before and it has worked quite well.

I have a 2002 silver GTI with the stock valances black. I find the dirt stick to the plastic really bad and is always a pain to clean. I was thinking of painting them black. Silver would be ideal but would probably be to hard to find matching paint. Any one done this?
    sigpic

Re: painting front and rear valance.

Check the DIY thread on Vortex for all the info you need.

Comment

Oh alright, i was looking on their earlyer. I must of missed it
      sigpic

Comment

if you have access to an air compressor get yourself the proper paint and a paint gun. the matching color is not hard to find (the paint code is in the trunk), and you will also need plastic adhesion promoter. and a lot of sanding.
        2003 Jetta GLI VR6

Comment

Is there any places that will match paint and put it into a spray can?

I was first going to use the dupi-primer, then the filler spray. Followed by some sanding to make the valance smooth, then color spray. Then clear coat.
          sigpic

Comment

you can get paint mixed up and then a good quality paint store will also have little aerosol sprayers that you can put any color in to. IMO the reflex silver dupli color is shite it didn't match my car at all but i had it mixed up for my valences and it was beautiful.
            also a VW dealer can get a spray can with the proper color too but I think it takes a while.
            2003 Jetta GLI VR6

Comment

Start off by cleaning the valences with grease and wax remover first, this will ensure that you don't sand any grease or anything into the plastic which would make it harder to clean later. Then do your sanding followed up by a good cleaning. Next use plastic adhesion promoter before you color spray. I think that C-Max might be able to mix paint into spray cans but not to sure. They do carry adhesion promoter though.
              Tyler

vinylappeal.com

Comment

c-max is where I had my paint put in a spray can for my brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Guysmiley View Post
                  c-max is where I had my paint put in a spray can for my brakes.
                  yup cmax is the place to go, its just off of barlow by the hooters. It should be $23 a can and only takes about 10 mins for them to mix it, you just need the paint code from the sticker by the spare tire.

I would use dupli-color adhesion promoter as I found after doing some research that this product is the one most people recommend. I painted a grill using it to prime and it turned out amazing, Although if you are looking to fill scratches you won't be able to do it with this primer as it goes on pretty thin, you would probably have to either fix them before with some sort of filler (like model putty maybe??) and then sand a lot, or do a bunch of base coats on top of the primer and sand smooth.

Note for the color match paint: the guy at Cmax said the paint has a top coat mixed in with it but I found it didn't have enough gloss to it so I went over the paint with 3 layers of clear coat and it blended in perfect with the factory paint.

I would like to see pics when you finish, I was thinking about doing this to my Jetta in the spring.

Comment

Advance auto color in the NE is also great for getting paint made into spray cans.

Comment

Hey thanks guys.

I was planning on using that dupi color primer/filler for the first coat. Sand a bit with some 400 and then another coat of the filler primer. Once that is dry use some 600 to make it nice and smooth.

Would i then use the adhesion promoter? Or just go stright to the color?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The_Stig View Post
                        Hey thanks guys.

I was planning on using that dupi color primer/filler for the first coat. Sand a bit with some 400 and then another coat of the filler primer. Once that is dry use some 600 to make it nice and smooth.

Would i then use the adhesion promoter? Or just go stright to the color?
                        the adhesion promoter would have to go on first, as a lot of primers i found didn't specifically recommend plastics but the adhesion promoter will bond to plastic and create a layer that further coats can bond to. I think the adhesion promoter actually slightly melts the plastic to bond with it, I noticed this because I had to start over after the adhesion promoter spray can dripped and when I went to remove the adhesion promoter in certain areas the plastic looked like it had started to melt a bit and I ended up having to re-sand the grill.

If you can find a dupli color primer/filler that will bond properly with plastic then just skip the adhesion promoter.

Comment

Hey, I was just going through a build thread from clubveedub and found this! might be exactly what you are looking for:

and

Comment

Working...
                          X