Upcoming Golf Models...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming Golf Models...

Anyone know anymore details other than this?

I realize it's all just rumour and speculation right now but if there is any truth to any of this... chalk me up on the R42 pre-order list!

Boo-yah!

VW is going to make the most of its new GTI, with three models joining what has already been a well received hot hatch. A 'GTD' variant using a 2.0-liter common rail diesel will go into production in April 2009, with 170 horses and nearly 260 lb.-ft. moving through either a six-speed manual or VW's DSG gearbox. The GTD will be sold at an €800 premium over its gasoline brother, and will get to 62 mph about a second slower in return for longer hauls between refills.

After that, toward the end of 2009, comes the GTI 'Plus' that will push the car dangerously close to the Audi S3 and may spell the end of the current R32. A 60 hp bump over the standard GTI takes the Plus up to 270. The fun-to-drive factor should be raised with a seven-speed DSG transmission, and handling mastery will come courtesy of a Haldex all-wheel-drive system.

The capstone: to help everyone get over the current and rather underwhelming R32, the hottest hotness is supposed to come in 2010 in the form of an R42. Swapping the current V6 for a 2.5-liter, turbocharged 5-cylinder that it will share with Audi's TT-RS and RS3, the raunchy R is rumored to get a chest-hair-growing 350 hp. If Auto Motor und Sport are to be believed, it will start rolling out of factories in November of 2009 at an undisclosed price.
    Last edited by Deuce; 10-30-2008, 03:34 PM.
    Rob
    Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
    Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Re: Upcoming Golf Models...

Yummm
    Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

Mmmm daddy likes...
      -Drew
      2001 "BORA" GLS 1.8T
      1990 Lincoln Continental

Comment

There is already a thread about this, not sure if anyone could say one way or the other at this point.
        Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna View Post
          There is already a thread about this, not sure if anyone could say one way or the other at this point.
          Let the "Photo-Chops" begin then!

Rob

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

I would say the GTD is likely but whether it comes to this part of the world is another story. I am not sure on the GTI Plus or GTI-R as I have also heard it called as it seems that maybe too many versions of the same car. The R42 is strange as I don't like the name but you would think since we have had R32s this would be a go, but also a question if North America will see it since the last 2 R32s have only sold so so. Also with the if they bring the Scirocco it will take the R32s price point so could see how that sells too.

Either way I think we will be lucky to see any of these before 2011.

R25T!!!
            Blair
            Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

i already have chest hair so i am so out ....lol
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by turbomeyers View Post
                i already have chest hair so i am so out ....lol

See, I only have hairy nipples, so I could use a little more. Sign me up.

Comment

Has anyone heard anymore about this topic? Nothing seems to have come from the LA Show. :-(

Comment

Not much new to report but we should see the new Golf/Rabbit/GTI models in September 2009 so more news maybe at Detroit show or later on I would guess.
                    Blair
                    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Volkswagen customers in the United States have been patiently awaiting the arrival of the new sixth-generation Rabbit and its GTI performance variant. And while it's still a little ways off, at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel as the German automaker has announced that the new model will hit the U.S. market in early September 2009. European customers, meanwhile, already began taking delivery of their new Golfs last month, with the GTI due to arrive there next summer.

American versions will initially be available with the current 2.5-liter inline-five, a new 2-liter turbodiesel in the TDI version and the GTI's 2-liter TSI. A new 1.8-liter TFSI is expected to replace the base 2.5-liter unit, with 4Motion all-wheel-drive, TwinDrive hybrid and LPG versions to follow, as well as a possible all-electric version and a replacement for the current top-of-the-line R32 performance model. North American models will also come equipped with adaptive cruise control, adaptive chassis control and 19-inch wheels as standard. Of the current (fifth-generation) Rabbit, the GTI version accounted for roughly one third of models sold, which Volkswagen expects to continue with this new generation

from http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/20/m...ext-september/

Comment

From Motor Authority:
                        ( http://www.motorauthority.com/previe...nce-model.html )

Volkswagen first hinted at a new high-performance version of the Scirocco coupe when it revealed the GT24 race concept back at the Austrian Wörthersee Tour tuning show in May, but in what form the car will finally come to production is still up in the air. The most likely scenario will see it come to market with a beefed up version of the current 2.0L TFSI engine. This engine is also used in the recently introduced Audi S3, where it develops a peak output of 265hp (195kW) and 258lb-ft (350Nm) of torque.

If the engine goes unchanged into the Scirocco, VW will have a car with very similar attributes to the outgoing Mark V Golf R32. This has led to speculation that the R32 may be replaced by a new high-performance Scirocco variant called the R20T.

According to CAR, the new R20T will go on sale in Europe in early 2010 and will closely match the styling of the GT24 race concept. Key features likely lifted from the concept include the aggressively styled bumper with larger intakes and unique fog lights, as well as the slightly wider fenders and lower ride height.

The key reason for dropping the torquey 3.2L V6 engine from the current R32 was emissions and fuel-economy concerns. There’s also the fact that VW’s new 2.0 forced-induction engines are offering similar, or better, performance to the larger naturally-aspirated units.

With 265hp (195kW) on tap, the Scirocco R20T should sprint from 0-60mph in around five seconds and will easily reach an electronically controlled 155mph top speed.

Late last month comments from VW America spokesman Steve Keyes revealed that a high-performance version of the Scirocco could be launched in the United States as a replacement for the R32, which is bowing out of the market next year. This could very well be the new R20T, which will finally offer American Scirocco fans a chance of owning the modern version.
                        Rob

Comment

Additional exterior pictures... these of the VOLKSWAGEN SCIROCCO GT24 CONCEPT:

Enjoy!

Last edited by Deuce; 11-25-2008, 07:29 PM.
                          Rob

Comment

Working...
                          X