Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Damn TDI

Originally posted by Volkstech View Post
    Yes it's a sham, the only way a diesel runs away is if it gets a separate fuel source other than the diesel fuel it runs on. i.e engine oil from a blown turbo being fed into the boost path. I'm not saying it can't happen but you'd have a better chance getting laid by Rihanna then you would having a runaway MK4 diesel.
    ask Thorston who was at fifth ave or myself.. over filling the oil can cause a runaway!! it's called wicking the oil.
    only way to shut it down is by blocking the intake.
    these cars came from aftermarket lube shops that overfilled the oil and complained of ,vehicle shuttering when turning off.
    and when you test drive the vehicle and get it nice and warm and the rpms start racing and you turn the key off and it still runs because the egr flap is stuck by carbon you basically wait till it burns off the oil or try to block the air or watch it blow up.Myself and Thor decided to watch them blow.
    when the tach is pinned and the engine is screaming whats your life worth.
    Put this one on myth busters.
    Been there done that.(back in 1997)
    he had one 6 months prior to mine.
    but hey those owners saved 3 dollars on the oil change at mr L ..
    But to be fair they did get twice the oil.

Comment

So what we get from here is if you go to a quick lube place you may get run away from their stupidity.
      Now if you know enough to put a racepipe on most times you are either doing your own oil changes or are getting them done by somebody who knows what they are doing.
      My turbo blew because my dad was in an unknown part of town, driving a 5 speed in which he is really rusty on, and was in a hurry to get to my wedding.
      I was not in the car or when everything happened or else I would have had that car off in a matter of seconds.
      I think that neither solution is perfect, but in the end I would rather take the risks with the racepipe then deal with EGR.
      Oh and to not have what happened to me, I bought an automatic car for the wife and am leaving it stock so when family comes to town, they can use that.

Benjamin
      Ben
      2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
      2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
      2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
      Her's
      2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Oh good lord..... Stall the engine... It is not rocket science.

I own other diesels and none of them have butterfly valves in the intake anywhere. Nobody in those makes freaks out about the possibility of the engine running on the crankcase oil.

As stated, anyone running a racepipe is an enthusiast and should know how to control the oil level and how not to let an engine run away.

Comment

Originally posted by VWSM View Post
          ask Thorston who was at fifth ave or myself.. over filling the oil can cause a runaway!! it's called wicking the oil.
          only way to shut it down is by blocking the intake.
          yea I read this as well, 2 main causes were overfilling, and blowby from worn out engines recirculating oil vapor back into the intake from CC ventilation.

Originally posted by Benjamin View Post
          So what we get from here is if you go to a quick lube place you may get run away from their stupidity.
          Actually i think it would be more like your stupidity for bringing your vehicle to one of these establishments in the first place .
          Last edited by J-hop; 11-06-2008, 02:04 PM.

Comment

In defense of Mr. L I have been getting oil changes from the same location for almost 4 years and never had a problem (they carry the VW spec Motul). And the guy who usually does it owns a TDI himself. They normally underfill it a bit and may have to add a little after I drive it for a while.
            2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

heh.. i used mr. lube once. Had to show the guy where my TDI's oil filter was. That was my last time. Shortly after that, my dad went, and then drove to BC. Had no oil by the time he got there because the filter wasn't tightened.
              Last edited by stefan; 11-06-2008, 02:55 PM.
              Stefan
              -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
              -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
              -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Time for a new thread. The no start was an electrical fault in the glowplug/cruise circuit. Now I have bigger problems.
                2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

Working...
                X