Need a new turbo for my TDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new turbo for my TDI

Looks like there is a small leak dripping oil into the exhaust side of my stock turbo. Comments on the Borg Warner KO4-015:

http://www.kineticmotorsport.com/pro...ER-37-143.html
    2012 VW Jetta GLI

Re: Need a new turbo for my TDI

garret
    Don't Panic, I'm Hispanic

Comment

another vote for a garret
      Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
      2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Can someone suggest a Garret model then?
        2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

If your looking for some small gains, I would be inclined to go with the vnt-17. TDICLUB.Com would be the best place to find out info and there are alot of vendors on there. I bought my package through Kerma but I wouldnt do it again in the future so Id say becareful.

Best of luck
          Chris :

2004 Jetta TDI Sport SOLD
          2010 Toyota Tundra CrewCab TRD

Comment

Non VNTs have been done but I think for the TDi you should stick with VNTs. I think Kerma has a selection.
            EU Tuning
            European Performance Products
            www.eutuning.ca
            slomas@upsolute.com

Comment

Has anyone ever used Kinetic Motorsports or JS Performance in the Vancouver area? Anyone locally here in Calgary?
              2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

You "can" just get the turbo repaired. Should be cheaper than a new one, unless you just want bigger. Phone GCL and see what a ballpark rebuild will cost first.

If you have lost a seal, I would be questioning the maintenance history.

Comment

Alamo here in town will repair and fix the vnt turbo's.
                  In terms of bigger turbo's best bang for your buck is the VNT 17, kerma, tdiparts all have them.
                  Another option if you are going for more power is do the VNT 17\22 which is on the upper end of oem fit with power. I have the ST 1856 although with all the failures and stuff happening I can't recommend that. Mine has worked great up to this point, but I don't want to recommend a dud either.
                  My brother and I both have 1856's and both have had no problems, but again time will tell.
                  Pulling the turbo is not hard, if you have done the intake the turbo is another 30 mins at most to get off.
                  Stick with a VNT though, plug and play and will be the best solution.

Benjamin
                  Ben
                  2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                  2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                  2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                  Her's
                  2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Originally posted by Red90 View Post
                    If you have lost a seal, I would be questioning the maintenance history.
                    along this same lines If you have a new turbo installed or the old one rebuilt, check or consider replacing the oil return line from the turbo, sometimes they get gummed up and you can blow seals from oil pressure build up in the turbo. I'm not sure how much of an issue this is with deisels but have heard of it happening every so often on gas turbos.

Comment

They say to do it for diesel's as well.
                      Ben
                      2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                      2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                      Her's

Comment

What do you TDI guys think of the 17/22 hybrid (1752) from Kerma?

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-str...rbo-for/Detail
                        2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

I have heard that they are a good turbo with only small issues on install. One being the inlet pipe, but you have an OMI already and should be able to handle that.
                          Besides that they get the turbo's from Peter over at TDiParts.com and for some odd reason Kerma had a core charge and TDiParts does not. If the choice was up to me, no core, no shipping the old turbo back, tdiparts would be my choice.
                          The only other problem you might have, need a tune to take advantage or the turbo, might need a new clutch if not done already, and last but not least that big a$$ smile you will have your face with all the new power.
                          Ben
                          2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                          Her's

Comment

i bolt on the hammer turbo from kerma with no mods and they work awsome . done about 6 of them
                            sigpic

Comment

I think I found what I am looking for: http://www.kineticmotorsport.com/pro...P-883-265.html

I am just looking for a mild upgrade not really wanting to go to the expense and associated extras like custom piping and ecu remaps.
                              2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

Working...
                              X