Alternator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator?

My brothers alternator just quit in his car, got me wondering what I kind of life expectancy I should get out of mine?

My car is a 2001 Golf, had a sub and amp in it since it was new. Nothing serious (600w). Just replaced the battery last winter.

any thoughts? Davey???

Re: Alternator?

All depends bro. Some last longer than others depending on the shape of the battery, cable connections, grounds etc. to tell you the truth I have only replaced two or three MK4 alternators in my career. Here is a great link
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/alternator2.htm
    Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
    You dig sucka?!

Comment

I have read that the pulley (bearing?) can go on the alternator but the electrical part is usually fine.
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

good to know. Thanks guys.

Comment

In my experience it usually the bearing that goes, creates friction and therefore heat, the heat goes through the body and overheats the electrics and thats when they fail. its deffinitely not an instant thing though and you should be able to hear your alternator wiring as the bearing is going
          Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

i have only done a few in my career also
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X