vibration/shaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vibration/shaking

i'm getting a mild vibration/shaking that seems like it's coming from the drivers side front wheel.

It's not there all the time, but seems to show up when i'm turning or when i let off the throttle.

could this be some of the bushings on their last legs? all of the bushings except the dogbone are original ones.

car is an 8 years old mk4 golf with ~ 140k on it.

thx
    Tim
    "When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer."

Re: vibration/shaking

Could be wheel bearings... is it snowing there yet??? maybe there is just some excess snow/slush packed up in there.
    2003 Jetta GLI VR6

Comment

this started before the snow came. i don't know if it's a bearing because it's not changing in frequency with speed.

a friend said it might be a CV axle. dunno.
      Tim
      "When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer."

Comment

I find that wheel bearing vibration usually gets smoother under accel/cornering when they are worn, and CV's are noisier under load when they go. Not very technical, but that was the case with the bearings and CV's that I've done in.
        If its a bearing, the side with the worn bearing will usually get smother when you corner hard against it (ie: worn left side will get quieter on a right hand turn)

**oh, outer CV's may click/clunk a bit if you do slow tight circles in a parking lot. Inner ones aren't really effected by steering.
        Last edited by stefan; 11-17-2008, 03:57 PM.
        Stefan
        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

i got busted one time because those cars are prone to inner cv shaft problems.
          no noise but a vibration.(6 hrs later it was a joint problem)
          Take them apart and have them serviced or replaced.

Comment

both mine were inner CV issues over the past few years. Was a pain.. I was in a rush to get it fixed due to an upcoming trip and VW was booking 3 weeks. I went to Fountain tire and C1 telling both that I really thought it was an inner CV, and they couldn't find the vibration. I ended up having the dealership in Courtenay on Van. Island do the repair in mid vacation. What do you know.. It was the inner CV!

Take it to a dealer, bert & jack's, or tunedub. Don't bother with anyone else for a vibration. Waste of time and cash IMO.
            Stefan
            -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
            -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

i have an appointment with tunedub next week.

Last night the vibration felt almost like a knocking, but it wasn't there at all this morning. very weird.

Thanks for the info
              Tim

Comment

George's verdict: inner tie rod.
                Tim

Comment

Working...
                X