Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if i were a block heater cable...where would i be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: if i were a block heater cable...where would i be?

I don't got anything!
    Certified 3m installer
    jwukovits@me.com
    1-403-988-9012
    Instagram @Protectit
    I always thought I was strange. Now I have a Saab and it's official I'm strange......

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Lifted on 35's
    2011 Jeep Rubicon 2dr Not Stock
    2004 Saab 9-3 2.0T Daily and Stock(for now)

Comment

syn oil ie mobile 5/30 WILL poor @ -50 where regular mineral oil wont even blob out. oil pressure will build only slightly slower than normal, plus it's not like the top of your engine is dry, it's coated with the syn oil from when it shut dwn.
      How often is it this cold? You dont need to waste money on a block heater, spend it on oil, coolant, and a good battery. Let it idle for only a bit, then start driving, it will warm up way faster.
      Back at 1518!!! Boo Ya!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by darkmanCANADA View Post
        Go to www.canadiantire.ca and search for "Polar Pad". 125W for $100, 250W for $120. If you have an EVO or DG skidplate go for it. If you have the VW plastic don't risk it.
        They are cheaper at Gregg Distributors. They also have larger ones. I think a 250W will fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Volkstech01 View Post
          syn oil ie mobile 5/30 WILL poor @ -50 where regular mineral oil wont even blob out. oil pressure will build only slightly slower than normal, plus it's not like the top of your engine is dry, it's coated with the syn oil from when it shut dwn.
          How often is it this cold? You dont need to waste money on a block heater, spend it on oil, coolant, and a good battery. Let it idle for only a bit, then start driving, it will warm up way faster.
          Please go and read SAE J300 2004. That is the spec that specifies viscosity grades. A 5W oil is DEFINED as an oil that passes the cranking test at -30 and the pumping test at -35. Below those temperatures, it fails the tests. If the oil still performed at lower temperatures, it would get a 0W rating.

At -30, all 5W oils, synthetic or not, have exactly the same viscosity. That is the whole point of the viscosity designation system.....

Comment

once it was close to -40 and my car was left outside for over 8 hours. never plugged it in, never do. it barely started on the first try but it did, ran on 2 cylinders for 30s (~500rpm) then a super high idle (1.5k rpm) and after that all was good. this is with 0w40 oil.

thats why i just rebuild the engine every couple of years haha
            Last edited by bart; 12-18-2008, 03:13 PM.
            2002 VW Golf GT TDI
            2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

hmm, well ill look anyways. The car was made in germany...i think all wagons are. But idk if im going to bother getting anything. i might loook into getting a pan heater thing. idk tho. I went all last year without anything. Just this year the car sat for four days and i didnt start it or anything so. Other then that its fine. Pan heater might bea good idea. we'll see.

Lot of good info guys. Good too see the forums are 100% dead. lol it was looking like it was. hhaha. Once again thanks for the info.
              James
              mk4 wagon

Comment

dont have one or anything besides in my 2000 german mk4 gti
                Last edited by Kordain; 12-18-2008, 07:45 PM.
                Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

Originally posted by bart View Post
                  once it was close to -40 and my car was left outside for over 8 hours. never plugged it in, never do. it barely started on the first try but it did, ran on 2 cylinders for 30s (~500rpm) then a super high idle (1.5k rpm) and after that all was good. this is with 0w40 oil.

thats why i just rebuild the engine every couple of years haha
                  hmmm never heard of 0w40?

yeah mine did the same thing the other day, i hated sitting there listening to it. it was like listening to a rabbit slowly being sucked into a wood chipper.
                  Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                  2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

0w40 is top secret oil classified info yo! haha
                    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Next time in Crappy tire go look at the diesel section, Shell has some 0w40 full synthetic.
                      Ben
                      2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                      2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                      2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                      Her's
                      2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Originally posted by Eurotuner. View Post
                        hmmm never heard of 0w40?
                        As an interesting aside....

I have been running Esso XD-3 0W-40 in the Jetta for quite a while. When the price went through the roof, I switched to Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40.

My oil analysis showed 3.1 ppm wear metals per 1000 km on the Esso which is pretty normal.

My Oil analysis on the Mobil shows 2.1 ppm per 1000 km, which is very good. That is over a 30% drop in wear. I was quite surprised.

Of course, I never cold start it....

But I agree, if you have the lifestyle that requires cold winter starts, then run a 0W-40.

Comment

Said in another thread, ufa polar plus 0/40, upteen farmers cant be wrong!!! I've been to Mobile One seminars and have seen mobile one 5/30 and Esso protec ultra 5/30 come out of a -50c freezer and the mobile pours, no problem, I'm tellin ya regardles of the specs we all have read, I've seen it. But we all have our favorites, just given you all more info to ponder on.

Merry X-mas all
                          Back at 1518!!! Boo Ya!!!!!!

Comment

i'd still be more comfortable relying on what the oil is guaranteed to do over what it can do in a demo. Any product will have some variance, but it will (or should) always be within the adverised spec. Either way, I still plug in in the cold .
                            Stefan
                            -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                            -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Working...
                            X