• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to look for in a 2003 Jetta GLS 2.0L

I'm looking at buying one of these.

Things I should look for are?

Timing belt service, water pump.
    Maint. records.

Beyond that I don't know what else to look for.

Advice and help is 100% appreciated!
    Jess

2010 Jetta TDI 6 SPD - Stock Comfortline model

Re: Things to look for in a 2003 Jetta GLS 2.0L

a car without a 2.0L.

Comment

Yeah....you would be better off with a 1.9 lol....or at a 1.8t if you don't want the economy...or a vr6 if you are baller lol.
      2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
      Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Brake wear, clutch, all the lights work.
        12 Volvo XC 90
        03 Jetta1.8T
        95 Cabrio VRT
        90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Comment

Tranny -- Now, (with caution - safety first!), shift the transmission lever into neutral. Apply the parking brake. With the engine idling, press the clutch pedal all the way, hold it down, and listen for noises. Then release the pedal and listen for noises again. There should be no loud noises at either positions.
          The next step is the test drive.
          Try to drive the vehicle at different speeds in all gears, one by one. Every gear should shift smoothly and easily without any noises or jerks. While driving at the second or third gear, try to press down sharply on the accelerator pedal for an instance. The clutch should not slip.

Engine -- With the engine turned off, try to open the engine oil cap and look inside through the oil filler hole. Use a small flashlight. If it's possible to see any internal parts there, check their condition. What you are looking for is the oil sludge.

Comment

Originally posted by dJ View Post
            Yeah....you would be better off with a 1.9 lol....or at a 1.8t if you don't want the economy...or a vr6 if you are baller lol.
            Why do you say this?

So transmissions are sometimes problems in the 2.0L GLS?

I need a car that will be cheap to fix, if ever, and runs well and is big enough for me. The 2.0L GLS was suggested as a good engine and I quite like Jettas.
            Jess

Comment

Originally posted by MoreSpeed View Post
              Tranny -- Now, (with caution - safety first!), shift the transmission lever into neutral. Apply the parking brake. With the engine idling, press the clutch pedal all the way, hold it down, and listen for noises. Then release the pedal and listen for noises again. There should be no loud noises at either positions.
              The next step is the test drive.
              Try to drive the vehicle at different speeds in all gears, one by one. Every gear should shift smoothly and easily without any noises or jerks. While driving at the second or third gear, try to press down sharply on the accelerator pedal for an instance. The clutch should not slip.

Engine -- With the engine turned off, try to open the engine oil cap and look inside through the oil filler hole. Use a small flashlight. If it's possible to see any internal parts there, check their condition. What you are looking for is the oil sludge.
              It's been probably 6 years since I've driven a standard. :S

But this is good advice. I don't want to suddenly have to do any unwanted repairs.

What about timing belt replacement km's and stuff like that?
              Jess

Comment

Originally posted by luunta View Post
                It's been probably 6 years since I've driven a standard. :S

But this is good advice. I don't want to suddenly have to do any unwanted repairs.

What about timing belt replacement km's and stuff like that?

Heh well an auto is good too then.
                For auto if the tranny was rebuilt, don't buy it! You dont know if it was properly rebuit or not... Also check the fluid for color and smell, shouldn't smell burnt. There shouldn't be a long delay between the moment when you shift the shifter into "D" or "R" the tranny should kick right in. When you drive it, same thing, make sure you feel it changing gears smoothly.

As for the KMs don't buy high-mileage .I'd recommend to avoid cars with more than 200,000K.

Timing belt..make sure they did it if over 100k. If it's at 90K and they ask for 12G, offer them 10G or max 11G.

Comment

Definitely want a manual. I want to have fun in the car, for sure. Especially since I had to give up my allroad with 320 HP!
                  Jess

Comment

On the 1.8T the water pump has to be done around 100K, and since the labour is 90% of a timing belt job you do it at the same time. I dunno if the same rule applies to the 2.0 but I bet it has the same shitty water pump.

2.0 is not a fast car but it's pretty rock solid. A few like to burn oil but I don't know how easy you can check as it's usually over a month or so that you'd notice and any seller would top it up.

How much are they asking? I'd say not more than 7?

Edit: Just noticed what you're coming from - I think you'd be better spending an extra 1K or so and get a 1.8T.
                    Last edited by Khyron; 02-02-2010, 11:20 PM.
                    Geoff
                    Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Haha, I'm done with Turbos for now, I think. I need a rock solid car that I can run for a while and not worry about. I never really even used the turbo power on the Allroad anyways. I've read about the oil burning, seems to be semi consistent across the board that it's either.. there or not.

I can do TB service myself, it's not complicated, Graeme helped me do it on the allroad, and if we can manage an allroad, a jetta can't be bad.

So far the price is roughly 10k ish, in BC. There's a car that MIGHT be a rebuild that I'm looking at but I have to call the seller to confirm if its a rebuilt or just had an accident, doesn't specify, either way.. red flags a bit.

Managed to sell my allroad as of tomorrow, if this guys banking goes through. horse shoes in my ass full of luck that it does.

I would also look at alternatives but the 2.0L seems to be kind of solid and reliable. Good fuel economy as well apparently?
                      Jess

Comment

Originally posted by luunta View Post
                        Haha, I'm done with Turbos for now, I think. I need a rock solid car that I can run for a while and not worry about. I never really even used the turbo power on the Allroad anyways. I've read about the oil burning, seems to be semi consistent across the board that it's either.. there or not.

I can do TB service myself, it's not complicated, Graeme helped me do it on the allroad, and if we can manage an allroad, a jetta can't be bad.

So far the price is roughly 10k ish, in BC. There's a car that MIGHT be a rebuild that I'm looking at but I have to call the seller to confirm if its a rebuilt or just had an accident, doesn't specify, either way.. red flags a bit.

Managed to sell my allroad as of tomorrow, if this guys banking goes through. horse shoes in my ass full of luck that it does.

I would also look at alternatives but the 2.0L seems to be kind of solid and reliable. Good fuel economy as well apparently?
                        I would go for a VR6...if you're going to spend 10k..or just go for economy and get a tdi...My dad just sold his 06 Jetta Wagon TDI with 170,000 on it for just over $9000 and that thing was rock solid. I can't vouch for the fuel ecomony in the 2.0's, but I highly doubt they will get over 1200km/55L of fuel.
                        2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
                        Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Sooo many choices!

1.8T seems like maybe a better option after coming from the 2.7T.

What price range should I be looking for in the MK4 2002-2004 region?

Also whats the best way to check the cars history?
                          Jess

Comment

Bonus:

Thanks for the heads up and advise guys. I haven't had time to research this much and I'm going to need a car very soon. This is suuuuper helpful.
                            Jess

Comment

2.0 = Soild and proven, cheap to fix

1.8T = Somewhat balller, quick and expensive to fix

VR6 = Baller, expensive to fix, and timing chains need i say more?
                              Certified 3m installer
                              jwukovits@me.com
                              1-403-988-9012
                              Instagram @Protectit
                              I always thought I was strange. Now I have a Saab and it's official I'm strange......

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Lifted on 35's
                              2011 Jeep Rubicon 2dr Not Stock
                              2004 Saab 9-3 2.0T Daily and Stock(for now)

Comment

Working...
                              X