Tie rod removal help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tie rod removal help!

My car is currently on blocks in the garage and i'm stuck in the middle of a project. I need to replace the driver side tie rod, the tie rod end isn't coming off (it will have a date with the zip wheel later) but my real problem is accessing the rest of the tie rod for removal. The passenger side was EASY because you can access it from above after moving a few minor bits to the side. The drivers side on the other hand is a nightmare. Any advice?

Re: Tie rod removal help!

Did you try some heat?

Comment

some sort of penatrating fluid, and just let it soak
      "If it has tits or wheels it will give you trouble"

-97 Golf
      -91 GTI

Comment

I heated mine up to remove it. There should be a spot on the rod where you can stick a open end wrench one to hold it while you beat the crap out of the tie rod end.
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I lubed it up and heat n' beat it, wrench that bastard every which way I could leverage, even zipped the the locking nut off. You can only dick around with something for so many hours before you give in. I called the shop, she's going in tomorrow morning, needs an alignment anyway after the coilover install. Thanks anyway guys!

Anyone have a skid plate they would like to sell me? I dropped it all the way and can't bare to raise it back up, this is some sort of weird addiction.

Comment

Working...
          X