Mk4 wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mk4 wheel bearings

Has anyone ever changed out the bearings on their mk4? My driver side bearing is cooked and I want to do it myself. I've heard of people using a slide hammer instead of the vw puller/pusher tool. What level of difficulty would you grade this type of job?

Re: Mk4 wheel bearings

i think tyler (VW337) did his bearings?
    Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
    2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

I'm trying to avoid shop work at all costs if you can tell! If it comes down to it though does concept do good service work? and quickly?

I've had shops in the past replace everything BUT the offending part ultimately costing me an ass ton of cash. Trying to avoid that!

A little background info, clicking on the drivers side started a few months ago, it corresponded to my speed. It went away and has turned into a really bad vibration that only happens at higher speeds and not while accelerating or turning. Car makes a nasty grinding noise when I turn full left now.

Comment

Tunedub is great for service, although they are super busy right now. Paul at Bert and Jacks is good too and may be able to get you in sooner, if you end up taking it in.
        Stefan
        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

google checking wheel bearings, coles notes- jack car up grab wheel and feel for play.

Comment

Originally posted by J-hop View Post
            google checking wheel bearings, coles notes- jack car up grab wheel and feel for play.
            Very little bit of play when held at 3 and 9 and shook, no play at 12 and 6. The amount of play is the same on the passenger side, which isn't causing me any problems.

Comment

Could be a ball joint. As for replacing them a slide hammer will never work. You can borrow the right set of tools from some places to do ti right on the car. I found a write up on the TDI club that happened to use the same set of tools I had to using all the right adapters was dead simple.
              Name: Brent
              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I did mine myself. I removed both spindles and took them over to tunedub to have the old ones pulled out and the new ones pressed in. Pretty easy job. Are you sure it's not you're CV joint that is toast? My CV clicked when it was on its way out. The wheel bearings made a really annoying humming noise that would get worse when I turned the wheel one way and then the noise would almost go away when I turned the wheel the other way.
                Tyler

vinylappeal.com

Comment

Would you mind posting up the link if it isn't a hassle? I gotta do mine too. I don't think it's too difficult. TIA
                  James
                  mk4 wagon

Comment

The one I used:
                    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...&highlight=sir
                    And another:
                    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=250295
                    Name: Brent
                    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

**** it really could be a whole different issue, which is what I'm afraid of. I don't want to swap out most of my suspension chasing a noise because the mechanic sucks at trouble shooting.

So tunedub is good? Reasonable guys? I need to fix the shake and the noise and nothing else! Can you tell i've been screwed before?

I also completely forgot to mention, my steering wheel is mysteriously turned to the left. The car doesn't pull at all, rides very straight but the wheel is crooked. Related possibly? I never hit anything except for the odd manhole or weird lump in the road, which can be nasty when riding low.
                      Last edited by Talluer; 10-28-2010, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Talluer View Post
                        I'm trying to avoid shop work at all costs if you can tell! If it comes down to it though does concept do good service work? and quickly?

I've had shops in the past replace everything BUT the offending part ultimately costing me an ass ton of cash. Trying to avoid that!

A little background info, clicking on the drivers side started a few months ago, it corresponded to my speed. It went away and has turned into a really bad vibration that only happens at higher speeds and not while accelerating or turning. Car makes a nasty grinding noise when I turn full left now.

Calgary Auto Works!!!
                        2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

Originally posted by darkmanCANADA View Post
                          Calgary Auto Works!!!
                          Keep in mind that they just went through an ownership change.

I'd say take it to tunedub.
                          Last edited by VW337; 10-28-2010, 11:36 PM.
                          Tyler

vinylappeal.com

Comment

thanks for the link..i didnt think it would be too hard.
                            James
                            mk4 wagon

Comment

So I pulled the front wheels off to install the hubcentric spacers today, this removed a little bit of the shake. Everything looks great, no ripped boots or serious amounts of play, except for the tie rod. I can grab the wheel at 9-3 and pull on it and the tie rod will move a fair distance in and out of the steering box, this may relate to my screwy steering wheel angle. Still not sure what's causing the grinding noise when turned fully left. Going to make an appointment for her tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X