Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever buy a turbo for a euro from Alamo Industries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever buy a turbo for a euro from Alamo Industries?

Any suggestions on replacement for a bone stock 2004 TDI that is going to be a daily driver? It already has a VR6 clutch.
    2012 VW Jetta GLI

Re: Anyone ever buy a turbo for a euro from Alamo Industries?

kerma . they have a sale on now . like 890 for a new vnt 17
    sigpic

Comment

Still not sure about Kerma, has he fixed his horrible reputation?
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I wouldn't touch that vender with a 10' pole. Terrible reliability and has several lawsuits with other vendors. Try Aaron at boraparts.com or Peter at IDparts.com

Both very good honest vendors and will guaranty your satisfaction. I would consider a VNT-17 or VNT-17-22. Either one will require bigger nozzels and a tune.
        2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
        Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

I really don't want to steer someone to Kerma. Any local vendors?
          2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

Originally posted by dJ View Post
            I wouldn't touch that vender with a 10' pole. Terrible reliability and has several lawsuits with other vendors. Try Aaron at boraparts.com or Peter at IDparts.com

Both very good honest vendors and will guaranty your satisfaction. I would consider a VNT-17 or VNT-17-22. Either one will require bigger nozzels and a tune.
            wouldn't touch alamo? they have lawsuits? that's crazy. they're pretty good to me when i've dealt with them. but i've also heard some bad stories.
            Last edited by aliencurv; 03-16-2011, 09:37 PM.
            D.J.
            Turbo SVT Focus
            Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

Originally posted by aliencurv View Post
              wouldn't touch alamo? they have lawsuits? that's crazy. they're pretty good to me when i've dealt with them. but i've also heard some bad stories. like graeme's rebuilt turbos still smoke. (and its their second time fixing)
              I think they were talking about Kerma.
              Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
              2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by Eurotuner. View Post
                I think they were talking about Kerma.
                oh what and who is kerma?
                D.J.
                Turbo SVT Focus
                Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/StoreFront

In no way am I promoting Kerma, never dealt with them.
                  Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                  2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

I have dealt with Paul at kerma for the past couple weeks. Just bought some suspension, and a clutch from them. Also bought my cat-back from them a couple months ago. He was undergoing some life changing cancer issues but is free and clear of that now. He's really trying to step up his business again, trying to get things back on track. He admitted to me that he's done wrong and almost toasted business. I have nothing bad to say about them. I bought my turbo from idparts however and I highly recommend them as well. BTW, you will NOT need bigger nozzles as you have a PD engine, but a tune will be needed to boost the new turbo a little higher.
                    Last edited by CGDoig; 03-16-2011, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CGDoig View Post
                      I have dealt with Paul at kerma for the past couple weeks. Just bought some suspension, and a clutch from them. Also bought my cat-back from them a couple months ago. He was undergoing some life changing cancer issues but is free and clear of that now. He's really trying to step up his business again, trying to get things back on track. He admitted to me that he's done wrong and almost toasted business. I have nothing bad to say about them. I bought my turbo from idparts however and I highly recommend them as well. BTW, you will NOT need bigger nozzles as you have a PD engine, but a tune will be needed to boost the new turbo a little higher.
                      That's great. I've just talked with too many reputable vendors that are in $100,000+ lawsuits with Kerma over parts that they owe. I really have no sympathy for him or his business and don't buy for a minute he was sick either. If you are planning on putting a bigger turbo you can either do it the scabby way and use stock nozzels, bigger turbo and tune, or you can do it the proper way and get the nozzels that are needed to fuel the starving bigger turbo. You do it at once and you save yourself from having to get retunes and having your car run like ****. Mod your car as you wish, this just makes the most sense.
                      2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
                      Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

He has a PD. He will need bigger injectors..... Not nozzles. The only reason you need bigger injectors is if you plan on running higher than 170HP, as the stock PD100 injectors are good until then. So even if you put in a VNT17, the stockers are just fine. No nozzles needed dude. Currently on paper I'm at around 165 with my current set up w/ hybrid turbo and stock injectors. Smoke free, boosting at 26psi.
                        Last edited by CGDoig; 03-17-2011, 07:17 AM.

Comment

To each his own. I would upgrade to PD150's or Race 520's, but whatever.
                          2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver

Comment

PD150's maybe, race 520's are for ALH injectors. I understand where you're coming from but maybe one should ask the question how much he's willing to spend on a DAILY DRIVER. PD150's can be had used from the UK for $1100 or brand new for $1600. Plus a turbo from Peter for $1400. That's before extra install parts needed because you need to change the intercooler piping in a BEW engine to support the new turbo fittings as well. A tune from a reputable vendor will be $5-600, really it's way different than modding you're engine DJ. Where as the ALH can be pumped up quite a bit with just nozzles and a tune. Honestly, if he did all that though, his car would be a lot faster than yours and mine.

Honestly to the OP, if your looking for a fun daily. Little bigger turbo and a tune. It'll push about 160hp and be just as reliable as the day it rolled off the factory floor.
                            Last edited by CGDoig; 03-17-2011, 04:50 PM.

Comment

lol....my sig is nowhere close to what I'm rolling now...so no it would be nowhere close to what I'm rolling now. ALH>PD any day of the week. Sorry, but I think PD's are really poorly built.
                              2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver

Comment

Working...
                              X