Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at 1996 Passat VR6

Hey guys,

I am looking at buying a 1996 Passat VR6 Wagon. It has 191k kms on an automatic transmission. What are some things I should be looking for in this vehicle. Do these VR6 engines have timing chains like the mk4 VR6 engines and do they ever need to be replaced and when?

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers,

Mike
    MIKE
    '03 GTi VR6

Re: Looking at 1996 Passat VR6

I had a 98GTI VR6. Great engines and they do have timing chains. They usually need replacing around 225-250,000 kms. Its the plastic chain guides that usually go first and cause the chain to sound rattle'ly. The autos from what I hear are not the greatest in terms of reliability, but it all depends how they are driven. plus they rob an insane amount of power from the engine compared to a 5spd.
    Things to look for are the front strut towers for rust. Its common for those to rust which eventually lead to a cracked tower. cost to fix is roughly 1000-1400 to get a body shop to do it. engine mounts are weak from the factory and worsen as time goes on, so if they haven't been replaced ever, then expect to replace them soon. Coil packs are notorious and expensive from the dealer, but aftermarket does offer a cheaper solution and last just as longish. Thats all I can think of for the time being. If I think of more, i'll add them to the list.

Good luck,

Mike
    TWO TON ENGINE LIFT/CRANE FOR RENT
    PM me if you need one!!

Comment

Re: Looking at 1996 Passat VR6

thanks for the info man, I'll keep an eye for these things!
      MIKE
      '03 GTi VR6

Comment

Working...
      X