Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help! Pressing in new bushings to control arms.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help! Pressing in new bushings to control arms.

Hey guys,

I've got some new bushings I'm trying to press in to the front section of a 1984 rabbit, and am stuck. I don't have a press to do the job, and am hoping someone here may have one, or can tell me of a shop that would be willing to help me out. I expect a reasonable price for a job that should only take 10 minutes. Canadian tire wanted to charge me $65 - no thanks.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks a lot.

Re: Need Help! Pressing in new bushings to control arms.

:(

Comment

Try Uwrench in the NE, they'll probably charge you about $15 for an hour and you can use the press for anything you want.

Otherwise you could try a c-clamp and some large sockets (I've made that work in the past).

Lastly, if they are polyurethane bushings, you could spray them with brake cleaner and try to push them in by hand. This works sometimes as the brake cleaner makes poly super slick but dries off in an instant leaving them good to go. The only downside is depending on bushing design you could experience squeaking later on, due to lack of silicone based grease.
      GT3071R and more...

Comment

Just used my large bench vice with some 2x4's that had some holes cut out for part of the bushing that sticks out.
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Thanks. good to know about u-wrench. I got a 29mm large socket and used my vice. Not sure I got it in all the way, maybe 95%. I'll remove the driver side and compare it to see whether or not I should replace it.

Comment

Working...
          X