TDI Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDI Help

Hey guys, so I posted here about a year ago about a problem I was having with limp mode on a MK4 Golf. (I was getting an over boost code)

Everyone suggested that it could be a seized VNT actuator, or a N75 Valve. For the past year I've been doing everything I could to avoid going into limp mode and the combination of not being the most mechanically knowledgeable guy and so busy that I haven't even had time to properly deal with it, I took it to the mechanic today and told him about it.

I mentioned what everyone here said and he told me that as good as forum guys are, he doesn't listen to what they have to say and that he doesn't like to be told what to do.

his solution was to chip the car. I already had stage 1 done, and he said that bumping it to stage 1plus would get rid of the problem, and that I had a 30 day money back guarantee that if the problem didn't go away i could get my money back...sounded good to me so i got it done.

now i have a whole new problem. now the car dumps all power when i floor it at about 3500 RPM. Unless i change gears, even if i'm still pressing the gas the car just engine breaks until it slows down and then hiccups a few times and then starts going again.

i went back and now he's saying that the valve is stuck and that the only solution is 1700 dollars to replace the turbo....

soooo i need some major help. i'm wishing more then ever i could start today over and not go to fix the limp mode because at least with limp mode the car only died at 140, now it dies every gear at 3500RPM...

my biggest dilemma is that i'm catching a flight to montreal from edmonton and i need to drive up on tuesday or wednesday....how safe is it to drive like this?

any help will be appreciated...especially if someone knows how to fix it and can help me work on it!

thanks in advance

Re: TDI Help

What valve is he talking about? The EGR valve? The actuator? Are the only performance mods you have a stage 2 chip? No injectors?

What year is the car?
    Last edited by dJ; 06-17-2011, 08:44 PM.
    2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
    Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

^^^And who is your mechanic?
      If thats your TDI in your avatar, its an ALH. The vnt actuator, the intake may need cleaning...and if the turbo is going, check your intercooler pipes and clean them, a little oil is normal...
      Last edited by Geobmx4life; 06-17-2011, 08:50 PM.
      Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
      Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Have boost gauge? Can you see what the boost is doing when it cuts out?
        Stefan
        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

First thing is to go back to that mechanic and get your money back and take the car to someone that is not an idiot. Changing the mapping is not going to change a problem like that. It would still be happening if the car was chipped or not, it isn't like part of the boost map just $hits itself. Did he even take the egr off and look in the intake? Have you cleaned the snow screen on the intake pipe to the air box? Have you yourself reached down on the passenger side and moved the vnt arm on the turbo yourself? If you don't have a boost gauge now is the time to get one, you would have a way better idea about the problem if you did.
          By the sounds of it you have a air problem, that that it is a clogged snow screen or intake and/or a possibly bad turbo.
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by dJ View Post
            What valve is he talking about? The EGR valve? The actuator? Are the only performance mods you have a stage 2 chip? No injectors?

What year is the car?
            i think he was talking about the actuator, no other mods and its a 2000.

i hate to say this because i love the guy and he's the best around but i almost feel like i got messed over by him......george.

and unfortunately i don't have a boost gauge...

Comment

Well, I really don't think that George would try and hose you. If its the actuator, that can be replaced or lubed up. A new turbo is around 15-1700...and it sounds like it may need to be replaced. The 1+ tune won't do ANYTHING to stop an overboost problem...and thats odd that he would suggest it.
              Last edited by Geobmx4life; 06-17-2011, 09:23 PM.
              Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

I got some turbo's for $300 each. They are used, but work. It's not rocket science to do a turbo swap. Takes 8 manifold nuts to remove, 3 downpipe nuts, egr pipe, hotside and coldside intake pipes and the oil return and feed. Depending on how you do it, whether you drop it out the bottom or pull it out the top will depend on any extra stuff you have to remove in order to get it out. This is why I do EGR deletes. They are annoying and more of a problem when you start tuning your car.
                2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
                Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Everything said in this thread is true. Cleaning intake system would be first, removal of EGR system. If that's not it maybe a sticky vnt mechanism. If that's not it new turbo. My money is on sticky vanes. Very good read here. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...ate-adjust.htm

Comment

Why would changing the program be a solution to a problem with the car?

Take it to another mechanic and get second opinion. As a consumer it is your right to compare you options and there are other mechanics out there that can do the work. These are after all very common cars and can be repaired by other knowledgeable mechanics just as well.
                    GT3071R and more...

Comment

Sounds like a weird diagnosis. Sure seems like there was some miscommunication somewhere along the line. I think I'd probably get my cash back and un-chip and accept that whatever the train of thought was there didn't work, and you are back to where you started. The 1700$ isn't that nuts if the turbo needs to be replaced. You could do it cheaper with DJ's parts, and George may even to the work for you. Just bare in mind that if you went that route, the mechanic will back the install, but not the part. DJ's turbos are likely fine though. I think one is from my old car.....
                      It isn't that hard to swap a turbo, but it takes time, and since it sounds like mechanics isn't your thing, you'd probably want to recruit some help, and due to time involved, that may be tough .
                      Last edited by stefan; 06-18-2011, 10:07 AM. Reason: typo
                      Stefan
                      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

As stated, check other thinks first!!!

If you need a turbo, shop around. They are less than $1000 new. http://www.idparts.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=388 You could also change to a VNT-17 for around the same price.

Comment

If it were something with turbo itself, wouldn't it have likely finished itself off by now, since the car has been driven in this state for the better part of a year?
                          Stefan
                          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Yeah Stefan, its pretty hard to actually diagnose over a cpu screen. If its overboosting though, the intake and or the IC pipes def need to be checked. And maybe even a ruined cat, or exhaust leak after the turbo.
                            Last edited by Geobmx4life; 06-19-2011, 10:03 AM.

Comment

So how many km's on car, and when was intake cleaned out last?

And yeah, not really possible to solve over forum. Too many possibilities. Would be nice if it wasn't the turbo though.
                              Last edited by stefan; 06-19-2011, 10:27 AM.
                              Stefan
                              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Working...
                              X