Thinking of Vinyling the van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of Vinyling the van

So the van is starting to show its age and is getting some rust spots. Rather then pay a ton to repray a vehicle that we likely won't keep forever I am thinking I might just treat the rust and seal the paint the cover the lower portion of the sides and rear of the van in vinyl. I was also thinking of doing the hood and redoing between the windows in carbon fiber wrap. Any thoughts as too who to go to in town and what it might cost?
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Re: Thinking of Vinyling the van

there is a place in okotoks that does it.. and does it well

but i remember its like 3k for a car.. so maybe 4k for the van!?? but for 4k you could repaint :/

i'm in the same boat.. i need to fix my stupid car.. stupid car.. stupid stupid car

Comment

I did some vinyl work when I was in high school, I did a partial wrap on econoline van and some of the ricer kids, I don't remember it being all that hard. I am not saying I could do it, but I keep finding these prices for wraps insane. I am tempted to go buy a roll of the stuff and give it a whirl.

A van would be so much easier than a little car, much longer spans, with fewer compound curves.

Comment

well mantis did his a6 himself and it turned out great.. just buy the 'breathable' vinyl as per his after thoughts to me

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
          well mantis did his a6 himself and it turned out great.. just buy the 'breathable' vinyl as per his after thoughts to me
          That breatheable vinyl isnt cheap.

I was about $140 to do the roof of a mk4 golf, thats just materials and in matte black, other colors will vary slightly.
          Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
          2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

You'll recycle your van to the earth if you wrap it. even breathable, it will rust. it's a constant wet sponge on your metal after it rains. and trapped for a while until it evaps. i'd take this opprotunity to play with body work. get your hands dirty. sexy.
            D.J.
            Turbo SVT Focus
            Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

PS also if you would consider doing any of the body work or rust yourself, try asking colin. he's pretty smart with that shiz
              D.J.
              Turbo SVT Focus
              Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

I have done body work before but have no room to do paint. It has also been years since I have done it. The problem is painting the panels afterwards, will cost a near mint still.
                Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

If you go the paint route, keep in mind with the new water-base, final sand needs to be 900 grit hand or 800 grit on a dual action sander.
                  Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                  2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Saw it last week on the TransCanada, still a great looking van. Our EV is rust too

Comment

if you want to vinyl wrap it contact joe at www.dublu.ca. He did a full wrap on my van and 3 of our shop trucks. great prices and a great guy to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleboy View Post
                        Saw it last week on the TransCanada, still a great looking van. Our EV is rust too
                        Saw mine? Where abouts?

Comment

If you have a panel that is already painted with oil base. Can you paint an area with water based?

Like colin, you know those chips from my front tires? Will water based fade with oil?
                          D.J.
                          Turbo SVT Focus
                          Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

No such thing as oil based for cars DJ, unless its with a paint roller, solvent or water based.

Yes you can paint over old solvent based with water base. I'm not sure what you are asking about it fading there.....
                            Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                            2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
                              No such thing as oil based for cars DJ, unless its with a paint roller, solvent or water based.

Yes you can paint over old solvent based with water base. I'm not sure what you are asking about it fading there.....
                              oh i didn't know the depricated paint was solvent. the other day ty mentioned it was oil, he's smoking crack. for fading i know that when i had some damage repaired on my svt. they sanded down only an area and repainted that area. they faded it into the old paint somehow. they didn't just mask it off and paint to the edge.
                              D.J.
                              Turbo SVT Focus
                              Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

Working...
                              X