Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help!!! I ordered Coilovers...not a rake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help!!! I ordered Coilovers...not a rake!

I ordered the Koni Adjustable coilovers for my .:R32, and installed them myself yesterday. Everything went pretty smoothly, however I have a mean rake going on. Both the front and the backs are spun all the way down, and the backs still have the perches in. I'm very happy with how the fronts are looking, but I have at least a 2 inch wheel gap in the back. Here is a pic for reference (sorry, crappy cell pic)

Any ideas what I could have done wrong? I understand suspension needs to settle, but i'm really doubting it will settle over an inch and a half.

Any insight is highly appreciated, seeing as I have an alignment with George tomorrow morning and want to get this fixed/adjusted ASAP!!!

Cheers
    Patryk
    Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
    08 VW .:R32
    04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Re: Please help!!! I ordered Coilovers...not a rake!

Just sell it to me and move on, problem solved. I have never done a R32 suspension so tough to say what is wrong, it there anything that can be put on upside down etc?
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

The coil spring and the strut could be installed upside down, but i'm 99.9% sure I got everything right. Here is a pic of what the rear setup looks like on the R32s

Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

pull the perches. I had the same issue last year, made a huge difference. but still.... your rear looks like stock height

Comment

remove the perches but al give it 48 hours of sitting before you play around with it more. you likely didn't compress the shocks by hand before you installed so they will settle a fair bit. dont be surprised to find your car on the ground.
          Last edited by RONDAL; 07-21-2011, 09:32 AM.
          Team Highschool
          Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
            remove the perches but al give it 48 hours of sitting before you play around with it more. you likely didn't compress the shocks by hand before you installed so they will settle a fair bit. dont be surprised to find your car on the ground.
            The best way to have your car. I would be worried if mine started floating off.....
            Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
            2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
              Compressed all the shocks 3 times before installing to make sure everything is working properly. put a bunch of weight in the trunk overnight, and still no difference. Like I said, I understand that they will settle, but this still doesnt look right. here is an example of the same coilovers, perches still in...

in fact here is a thread full of R32's on these coilovers

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-by-WRDUSA.com
              Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

wierd! when i did my coils literally i took it for a 15 minute drive and did a few bumpy roads and that **** dropped about .5-.75" right there!

Comment

hmmmmm....
                  everything went in ok? like were you seriously fighting with the rears to get them in?
                  Team Highschool
                  Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

everything went in fine. I'll have to take it apart tonight because aparently the perch and adjustment collar was installed wrong. I put them underneath the spring, and I guess they should be at the top of the spring and upside down. However this still confuses me so i'm hoping the suspension guru's will chime in.

What difference does it make if the perch and adjustment collar is at the top or the bottom? The distance between the bottom of the perch and the top of the spring is still the same is it not? I'm just trying to figure out whether this would solve my problem or not.

Anyone wanna swing by tonight, lend a hand and drink some beers?
                    Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

it looks like the perch is wound in the spring and it looks like it's not allowing it to settle because the perch is in the way.
                      you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

Looks fine to me!

Just get some fat meaty tires in the back with some serious offset, grow a mullet and you're golden!

Aside from that... I got nothing. I'm sure George will fix for you though.
                        Rob
                        Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
                        Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

Originally posted by 100%VAGitarian View Post
                          it looks like the perch is wound in the spring and it looks like it's not allowing it to settle because the perch is in the way.
                          Agreed, get that perch under the spring and see how it sits.
                          GT3071R and more...

Comment

Sorry, I should have mentioned the picture of the rear suspension setup is not mine. Just one I stole from the internet. Either way, i've fixed the problem. Turns out that with the Koni Coilovers, the perch and adjustment collar needs to sit upside down at the top of the spring. I installed it underneath the spring and it did not set properly. Now I have about .75 - 1.25 inch gap which i'm sure will settle decently over night. Thanks for everyones input, always appreciated!

Cheers
                            Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

2 cents! : D haha jk I was gonna suggest a couple things but glad you got it handled. Looks great by the way!
                              Chris - TR 03' Wolfsburg

Comment

Working...
                              X