Engine droppped?????? Pics included

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Engine droppped?????? Pics included

I can see where your coming from with your analysis on the subject due to professional experience....

But since this problem is common even after replacing the bolts obviously someone somewhere miscalculated the stress that these bolts go under after a certain amount of time. They assumed that the engine will be running 100% fine.

But in your 2 descriptions you proved my point why to replace these bolts:

1. your talking about clamping force and stripping the threads. If you replace the bolt with a properly torqued bolt and maybe use a mild grade lock tight this will hold up just as well. When I was talking about over torquing a little bit I am thinking 5 ft/lb extra than the recommended amount. I would rather feel secure knowing that this snapping problem was resolved with a better situation than just replacing it with something that is a well known problem.

2. heat and vibration... once again, they assumed that these bolts will not go under any stress. a torque to yield isn't exactly that strong of a bolt.

From a mechanic stand point, we fix issues with a jimmy rigged set up and guess what... they become tsb's for screw ups that the mechanic engineers did. My point is just because someone said that this should be used doesn't mean that there isn't a different solution

Comment

Very true. over torquing them by only a small amount would be just fine and the loctite would help to prevent them from backing out. As long as you got to the same bolt tension as the stretch bolt then i would assume it is fine for holding power.

Under heat cycling you still need to re-torque the bolts however if they are not stretch bolts because over the first several heat cycles the bolts will elongate slightly and unlike the stretch bolts that will just lose a little bit of their stretch and only a little bit of their clamping power, regular bolts will lose a larger percentage of their clamping power due to the fact that their elastic stretch region is very very narrow compared to a specifically designed stretch bolt.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback and opinions guys. And I didnt start this thread so we can point fingers as to whose fault it is. **** happens, especially with the luck ive been getting with my car...

So another update, the car is now on jack stands and tomorrow gonna hit up the dealsership to see how much that mounting bracket is and gonna need to buy a new axel. Will keep you all updated as to how it goes!

Comment

I may be able to sell you the one off my parts car but I am going to have to figure out how I would support the engine in the mean time. Let me know if it is super expensive and we can work something out.
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Thanks Brent! I will let you know tomorrow

Comment

agreed with mech 100%, not the friends fault at all if the OP refused to spend the $20 on new stretch bolts. Vortex can be the absolute worst with this in their DIYs. Example: dogbone mount replacement, several DIY threads mention nothing about replacing the stretch bolts or even go as far as to claim you don't have to.

I don't think overtorquing a non-stretch bolt would do any good, in fact if you are overtorquing a bolt that won't stretch couldn't you strip the threads? If you google "vw, stripped transmission mount when replacing dogbone" there are a lot of people that have stripped their transmission threads just by overtorquing the original stretch bolts.

great learning experience though, with cars you learn 10x more through failures than you do with successes, hope the repairs go smoothly OP.
              Last edited by J-hop; 07-29-2011, 09:50 AM.

Comment

I have learned that if someone isn't willing to pay, don't do the work for them. When the **** really hits the fan, the person who did the work is responsible. For example, lets say the the failure caused the vehicle to come to a dead halt on the highway, and the driver is ejected through the windshield, and the occupants of the vehicle behind them is injured when they run into the now staitonary car. The lawyers will have a field day with this.
                15 GTI
                65 Beetle
                87 BMW E30

Comment

Working...
                X