Break Light Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break Light Switch

Hey guys, I got the MK4 TDI Golf and last week I noticed that my coil pack light was flashing, did some research and it turns out that my break lights don't come on when I apply the breaks.

I read through the DIY on the Vortex site (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1158315) and the switch that I had installed in the car previously was the A switch at the bottom of that page. I installed the switch now and it seemed like I did it right, but the problem wasn't fixed.

Has anyone dealt with this before? I'm wondering if I need to get the code wiped from the computer for the car to realize that I replaced the switch?

Thanks again

Re: Break Light Switch

Your brake light switch has to be installed properly..it's a one shot deal and if not adjusted correctly during install you'll need a new one.If your brake lights are still not working install was done incorrectly or you have a wiring issue.If you played around with the plunger like pulling it out and pushing it in you require a new switch.Never buy a switch that is out of the box.

Comment

It would appear as though when my break light switch died on me, the fuse for the break lights blew too. After I made the post yesterday, I decided to check the fuse and when I replaced it, everything was working fine again..
      I wish I had checked the fuse before replacing the switch because now I'm super curious as to weather or not I actually needed to replace the switch to begin with or if it was the blown fuse the whole time...whatever it's done and everything is working fine now.

Comment

Originally posted by VWSM View Post
        Your brake light switch has to be installed properly..it's a one shot deal and if not adjusted correctly during install you'll need a new one.If your brake lights are still not working install was done incorrectly or you have a wiring issue.If you played around with the plunger like pulling it out and pushing it in you require a new switch.Never buy a switch that is out of the box.
        Are they all like that? I was able to re-adjust the one I had for my jetta. It had a bit of a weird locking mechanism for the adjustment that took a while to sort out, but I defiantly screwed it up by making it the wrong length and was able to recover. Once adjusted right, the actual instal is pretty easy.
        Stefan
        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

As a side note a TDI doesn't have coil packs so what you where likely seeing was the check engine light(?). Do you still have the old switch? Something would have to short out somewhere to blow that fuse.
          PS is that the car in your profile? Got more info and pics of it? It looks like one I looked at a while back and I sure hope it is not the same car.
          Last edited by Stonewall; 08-19-2011, 08:23 PM.
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
            As a side note a TDI doesn't have coil packs so what you where likely seeing was the check engine light(?). Do you still have the old switch? Something would have to short out somewhere to blow that fuse.
            PS is that the car in your profile? Got more info and pics of it? It looks like one I looked at a while back and I sure hope it is not the same car.
            In TDI the glow plug light will flash when that switch buggers up.
            Stefan
            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I had a recall done on my 04 Jetta for the brake light switch about 3 years ago (I had no issues with mine). After driving just in the city for the last several years I took the car to BC several times this spring and found that my cruise control was not working. I wonder if this is from the brake light install being done wrong? The brake lights on the car work normal.
              2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Comment

my bad, i meant my glow plug light not coil pack light. i did some research on it and apparently sometimes when this switch fails, the cruise control stops working. its a super easy fix...only cost me something like 7 dollars and 15 minutes of time.

that is my car in the picture, its a 2000 but ive had the car for about a year and i actually bought it from my dad and he drove it for i think a year or so as well. i'm curious as to why you hope its not the same one tho now.

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
                  I had a recall done on my 04 Jetta for the brake light switch about 3 years ago (I had no issues with mine). After driving just in the city for the last several years I took the car to BC several times this spring and found that my cruise control was not working. I wonder if this is from the brake light install being done wrong? The brake lights on the car work normal.
                  Possible, although the control yolk could just as likely be the issue there.
                  Stefan
                  -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

apparently theres 4 different kind of switches ( A, B, C or D) the one that was already installed in my car was the A one which seems to be the easiest, you just prop it into place and turn the switch to lock it in, you don't have to mess with the plunger at all.

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
                      Possible, although the control yolk could just as likely be the issue there.
                      When I turn on the cruise control switch I get the dash cruise light turning on but the cruise control will not set to any speed.
                      2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Comment

When I turn on the cruise control switch I get the dash cruise light turning on but the cruise control will not set to any speed.
                        oh, that's wierd. Maybe it is the switch then. For me, when the switch screwed up, the brake lights stayed on (and the glow plug light started flashing). I assume my cruise would not have worked in that state. There are quite a few pins on that switch though, lots of opportunity for one circuit to fail and others to work I suppose. There were multiple recalls. Do you think you had them all done? Possible you are still behind by one version?
                        Stefan
                        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Nope not the same one, thank god it was a lemon The rims sure look the same though.
                          Name: Brent
                          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Could be a tune you don't know about in the car? Or taller 5th gear? Sometimes they will thwart the ability to use cruise.

Comment

I bought the car new....its all stock.
                              2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Comment

Working...
                              X