fixing MK5 headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixing MK5 headlights

I got a new mk5, and the one headlight is broken on the taps and the HID Bulb thingy isnt broken but it moves around......i have no clue if you guys know what i mean. but is there a way i can fix the HID Bulb thing? or somewhere i can go that does light repairs?

hope you guys know what i mean
    thank you

Re: fixing MK5 headlights

Pictures? I'm sure my headlight thingy sounds bad.
    Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
    2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by lulu View Post
      I got a new mk5, and the one headlight is broken on the taps and the HID Bulb thingy isnt broken but it moves around......i have no clue if you guys know what i mean. but is there a way i can fix the HID Bulb thing? or somewhere i can go that does light repairs?

hope you guys know what i mean
      thank you
      Do you perhaps mean the bulb holder? As in the base of the bulb where the bulb seats into the projector? Or do you mean the red/black ignitor (i have only worked on one set of mk5 headlights and i forget the color) that fits directly onto the back of the bulb?? If its the ignitor you can just buy a new one but if its the base where the bulb seats you either have to get a new projector and swap them out or you can always buy a D2S base online and cut the old one out with a dremel and JB weld a new one on. I have seen it done a few times but its extremely hard to get the new one seated perfectly so i would suggest just buying a new projector.

Comment

K i will get some pictures tomorrow, thank you for the interest

Comment

Thanks for the update btw :P

Comment

haha sorry i have been so busy with work, i will go take pictures of the lights today

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110831-00089.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	511577

Sorry that took so long have been very busy with work and school and the car is located so far away, yea yea as you see in the picture it looks like it came out of place.

And does anyone know where I cvan get a passanger side one for the gti?

Thank you

Comment

Well I don't understand why your car is far far away from you but ok.

That "hid bulb thingy" is called a projector. It mounts to the inside piece of your headlight. So take off your headlight, take the back off and you can probably see where it attaches, it will probably be screws or bolts or clips. Either screw it back in or line up the screw holes and JB weld it back on. I don't know exactly how the mk5 lights work so you will have to take it off and see for sure but it will be much cheaper than buying a whole new light for that side which is the other option.

Comment

The car is far away from me because I keep it at a garage, and thank you I'm going to play around with them when I got time. But if I can just find a used passenger side one to buy I would

Comment

careful of the leveling hardware
                    MKV GTI
                    '73 Westfalia

Comment

Working...
                    X