Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Problems Revisited

So I had a pretty crappy day...

As many of you guys know, this fall I had a Techtonics Exhaust installed at Concept 1. Its been treating me alright except for some fitment issues, particularly the exhaust tips.

A few weeks ago now Concept 1 welded on some new tips for me, and adjusted the tips to be higher up in the valence cutouts (at my request). They did an OK job except that the tips were a little bit off-center. I could live with it.

Then today I notice this weird smell coming from the back of my car - my rear valence has been slowly melting! As the exhaust expanded and contracted it shifted closer and closer to one side (I don't know why), then eventually came into contact with the side of the valence and continues to slowly bend right into the valence, burning a hole in it. I didn't notice it until this morning.

I took the car to Calgary Muffler and talked to Jason. He really set me straight on exhausts. He spent the time showing me the ins and outs of how an exhaust should be built and mounted in my car! He knew a lot about VWs in particular, how much the exhaust needed to move and how much clearance was needed in different places. It was really great. We fixed the fitment of the TT exhaust as best he could, and there was practically no charge for all his time.

The lesson I learned from all this is to get a CUSTOM exhaust next time. We compared everything, the quality of the stainless steel, the way the bends are done, the welds, the length of the pipe sections, everything. I was incredibly surprised considering the high opinion people have on Vortex but I think that its just another instance of people on Vortex not knowing what the heck they are talking about. There is no comparison, a custom system would be made WAY better and will fit perfectly. I am convinced that I could have a custom system built to even better performance and to sound however I wanted. Jason also said that he could do it all much cheaper than my TT system cost, with my choice of exhaust tips, and install it in less time.

If anyone is thinking exhaust, go talk to Jason at Calgary Muffler.

Uhh also, does anyone think I should try to get C1 to pay for the damage to my rear valence caused by the work they did? I am gonna have to buy a whole new valence and have it painted...
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Re: Exhaust Problems Revisited

Very intereresting. Im glad to hear your running good now though. Looks like im going to Calgary Muffler =) How much do you think a catback SS 2.5" would cost me? I would defintely talk to concept1 and get them to repair or replace the damaged valence. They damaged my hood a little but I never said anything. There really nice guys but they have to put more attention and care sometimes with their work.

QuA

Originally posted by Kor
    So I had a pretty crappy day...

As many of you guys know, this fall I had a Techtonics Exhaust installed at Concept 1. Its been treating me alright except for some fitment issues, particularly the exhaust tips.

A few weeks ago now Concept 1 welded on some new tips for me, and adjusted the tips to be higher up in the valence cutouts (at my request). They did an OK job except that the tips were a little bit off-center. I could live with it.

Then today I notice this weird smell coming from the back of my car - my rear valence has been slowly melting! As the exhaust expanded and contracted it shifted closer and closer to one side (I don't know why), then eventually came into contact with the side of the valence and continues to slowly bend right into the valence, burning a hole in it. I didn't notice it until this morning.

I took the car to Calgary Muffler and talked to Jason. He really set me straight on exhausts. He spent the time showing me the ins and outs of how an exhaust should be built and mounted in my car! He knew a lot about VWs in particular, how much the exhaust needed to move and how much clearance was needed in different places. It was really great. We fixed the fitment of the TT exhaust as best he could, and there was practically no charge for all his time.

The lesson I learned from all this is to get a CUSTOM exhaust next time. We compared everything, the quality of the stainless steel, the way the bends are done, the welds, the length of the pipe sections, everything. I was incredibly surprised considering the high opinion people have on Vortex but I think that its just another instance of people on Vortex not knowing what the heck they are talking about. There is no comparison, a custom system would be made WAY better and will fit perfectly. I am convinced that I could have a custom system built to even better performance and to sound however I wanted. Jason also said that he could do it all much cheaper than my TT system cost, with my choice of exhaust tips, and install it in less time.

If anyone is thinking exhaust, go talk to Jason at Calgary Muffler.

Uhh also, does anyone think I should try to get C1 to pay for the damage to my rear valence caused by the work they did? I am gonna have to buy a whole new valence and have it painted...
    Last edited by QuA; 12-18-2003, 08:57 PM.
    2008 BMW 135i | M Package | JB3 | DCI | BMW Performance Exhaust

Comment

If you paid full shop rates for them to fix your tips, and they damaged the valence then yah. But if you asked them to do it and they did it as a favor/free then no.

Khyron
      Geoff
      Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Shitty to hear that Kris. My opinion is, if a possible cause of the contact was b/c you requested a tighter fit then, no, I wouldn't take it back to C1. If the contact was caused by something they did, then obviously I would take it up with them and see if they can compensate you somehow.
        Neil
        '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

I did request that they raise it up for a tighter fit from how it was originally installed. However, if it had been properly centered in the valence cutout (as it is now) it wouldn't have melted...

Mike, I think Jason mentioned that he could probably do an entire cat-back like my existing system for 600 bucks. That may be give-or-take a little but I think it is a rough indicator.
          Last edited by Kor; 12-19-2003, 12:18 PM.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Thats an awesome deal. If its good material and I get to choose my tips ... PERFECT! I'm gonna call in the next few weeks to get a custom one... you should come with me =)

Originally posted by Kor
            I did request that they raise it up for a tighter fit from how it was originally installed. However, if it had been properly centered in the valence cutout (as it is now) it wouldn't have melted...

Mike, I think Jason mentioned that he could probably do an entire cat-back like my existing system for 600 bucks. That may be give-or-take a little but I think it is a rough indicator.

Comment

Definitely talk to some places before you do anything, I think the most important thing when trusting a shop to work on your car is knowing that they guarantee satisfaction with the result and that they understand what you want/expect up front.

Jason was really helpful though, and the price was right. They had all kinds of stainless steel tips lying around and I am sure they can order more.
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Good advice. As long as the exhaust isnt ricey loud im satisifed. Also im looking for performance that is better then Brullen =)

QuA

Originally posted by Kor
                Definitely talk to some places before you do anything, I think the most important thing when trusting a shop to work on your car is knowing that they guarantee satisfaction with the result and that they understand what you want/expect up front.

Jason was really helpful though, and the price was right. They had all kinds of stainless steel tips lying around and I am sure they can order more.

Comment

ehhhh my brullen ownz.. i think it gains nicely although when C1 gets APR i think i'm doing a full APR TB setup and well doing something else with my brullen.

Comment

Working...
                  X