Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MKIV Air Conditioning Issue

Car- 03 Golf 2.0L

The issue first came about on the way to Red deer for euroquake. The a/c was on but wasn't blowing cold. When the A/C button in the vehicle was pressed, it would sound like the compressor would kick in. I had a look and the compressor clutch wasn't engaging. Upon further inspection I found a blown fuse atop the battery (S180) 30A that controls the rad fans. I replaced the fuse and it would simply blow again. When i got home, I spun the fans freely by hand. The passenger side was fine, but the drivers had a lot of resistance. I replaced the drivers side fan along with the fuse. I turned the key to "ACC" and the fan knob to speed 1. The rad fans were spinning for a second then stopped and the fuse was blown yet again. After some research, I decided to replace the fan control module. It's essentially a relay that controls the rad fans and powers the compressor. When the battery was out during replacement, I noticed a wire going to the fusebox atop the battery had insulation worn away, exposing bare wire. It looked like it was shorting out on my Air Intake box. This wire was going directly to the plug that was connected to the S180 fuse that was blowing. I taped the wire up and made sure it wasn't touching any metal. Put everything back together, tried the a/c, still nothing. I checked the fuse and it's no longer blowing, yet the compressor clutch still won't kick in.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Alex Dewar
    2013 T-Red GLI

sigpic@BuckyVW

Old
    03 Golf CL
    2.Slow

Re: MKIV Air Conditioning Issue

Some things:

I have had issues before with those boxes (atop the battery) corroding on the inside, so check to see if there is power at both sides of the fuse and a good connection.

Jump the high/low switch see if the compressor engages (if so then that switch is faulty)

Sometimes the actual climate controls on the inside of the car can also fail
    Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

might be worth scanning too. A/C unit may have thrown something useful.
      Stefan
      -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
      -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how the rad fans will have anything to do with the A/C compressor. Also the rad fans are not connected in any way to the fan knob for ventilation in the car. Sounds like maybe a couple of different problems.

Sorry, don't have anything constructive to add. There is a procedure for checking that the fans are being signalled to run when the rad reaches temp, using a volt meter on the plug and jumpers, but I don't think that will tell you why its burning out the fuse.
        Last edited by FlyBoy; 09-06-2011, 11:45 AM.
        Jeff
        Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
        Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Comment

Originally posted by FlyBoy View Post
          Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how the rad fans will have anything to do with the A/C compressor. Also the rad fans are not connected in any way to the fan knob for ventilation in the car. Sounds like maybe a couple of different problems.

Sorry, don't have anything constructive to add. There is a procedure for checking that the fans are being signalled to run when the rad reaches temp, using a volt meter on the plug and jumpers, but I don't think that will tell you why its burning out the fuse.
          I think the secondary rad fan may come on with the A/C regardless of temp. Someone told me that once... don't remember if they were reputable
          Stefan
          -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
            I think the secondary rad fan may come on with the A/C regardless of temp. Someone told me that once... don't remember if they were reputable
            From the research i've done, both radiator fans need to spinning for the a/c to work. When the key is on "acc" the knob is turned to 1, both fans should spin.
            Alex Dewar
            2013 T-Red GLI

sigpic@BuckyVW

Old
            03 Golf CL
            2.Slow

Comment

yeah, that's what i meant. In my head I was assuming the primary was already spinning . You can test the fans themselves with a vag-com as well. I think the vag-com calls it an overheat test
              Stefan
              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I had a similar issue it took me forever to track down why my AC was junk. Turns out it was the blend door. If the temp is the same with your temp knob in every position then its the blend door. Here read this:
                http://forums.motivemag.com/showthread.php?4445527

Comment

It's because you don't have power windows and locks......
                  Don't Panic, I'm Hispanic

Comment

Watch this thread

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-cond.-problem
                    Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                    2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

This is sort of off topic but thanks for the thread, my a/c and rad fan work again due to this thread.
                      2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
                      Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Lethbridge VW had a peek yesterday, turns out the 4pin connector going to the fan control module was broken and not making good contact with the module. New connector on it's way. Yay for simple fixes! Thanks everyone
                        Alex Dewar
                        2013 T-Red GLI

sigpic@BuckyVW

Old
                        03 Golf CL
                        2.Slow

Comment

Working...
                        X