Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help?! Screw/sway bar

Hey all,

So today Sean (Mechengg) and I changed my lower control arm bushings and upper strut mount bushings...all went well except for the screw on the passenger side won't screw into my sway bar...it's going in crooked. We tightened it as much as we can to hold....but what can I do now? Re-tap the damn thing?
    Last edited by longsock; 09-17-2011, 11:08 PM.

Re: Help?! Screw/sway bar

Or possibly buy a new one? Not many other options. If you do retap it, I suggest removing it from the car to get the straightest retap as possible.
    2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
    Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Sorry i was really tired when i typed this last night, the sway bar isn't screwing into the control arm..
      so a new sway bar link wouldn't help
      Last edited by longsock; 09-18-2011, 11:09 AM.

Comment

I had to use a jack to lift each wheel to get the control arms in the proper place so everything would line up on mine. All else fails, grind the bracket off, weld a new nut to the back of it, then weld the plate back on.
        Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
        2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

You are going to have to clarify what bolt it is. If it is the bolt that goes into the sway bar link and the control arm then you are screwed and need a new control arm. Other then the sway bar bushings there really are not many other bolts.
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
            You are going to have to clarify what bolt it is. If it is the bolt that goes into the sway bar link and the control arm then you are screwed and need a new control arm. Other then the sway bar bushings there really are not many other bolts.
            DO NOT WASTE ON GETTING A NEW CONTROL ARM! Cut the plate off weld a new nut on the back and weld it back on, that's what I did when my bolt snapped off.

He said exactly what bolt it was.
            Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
            2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Ok guys/gals it is fixed!
              I went to cdn tire and got a tap, re-tapped it. Than went to home depot and got another screw, yes they had it
              Prob fixed!!!! soo happy, because I thought I'd have to get a new control arm.

Comment

Good to hear the easiest thing worked!
                Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Gotta love when home depot and crappy tire have all the parts you need!!! Glad to hear you got it fixed!
                  Patryk
                  Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
                  08 VW .:R32
                  04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Working...
                  X