Can i sue the city of edmonton ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i sue the city of edmonton ?

Was driving by Nait tech university were i live till tomorrow. Im very new to the area moved here from BC. Was driving down the road at about 45ish, not a single city light was on on the road and i was driving..all of a sudden my car launches into the air about a foot and a half. I drove over a cover pipe of some sort. Not a single construction sign around. Smashed my winshield, blew both my front shocks, fucked up my passenger side fender and thats only the visuals, i cant turn my steering wheel. Is there anything i can do ? Im fucking pissed.

Re: Can i sue the city of edmonton ?

Wow you must really not have been paying attention....

That really sucks, seems like pretty major damage to your car if the windshield, shocks and steering got wrecked. And you say you were only doing 45km/h? I wasn't there of course but i cant see the car getting that lift in the air and that much damage by going only 45. Maybe more like 45mph?

But on your topic i am not sure about suing the city, you would have to do some research. I know that in Calgary if a manhole is not marked and you bottom out any car (not modified) that they will pay to get it repaired almost all the time. If you are driving a modified car in any way you are very SOL. I have had two different friends hit almost the same manhole in the same area and this is how they got treated because one was an unmodified car and one was a lowered car

Comment

If the car is modified you're SOL regardless of what happened. I feel you pain though, similar things have happened to me. They put huge speedbumps in my neighborhood
      '14 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (On Order)
      '06 VW Jetta TDI (Daily)
      '07 Ford F-150
      '06 Mazda 3 (hers)

Comment

Originally posted by btimbit View Post
        If the car is modified you're SOL regardless of what happened. I feel you pain though, similar things have happened to me. They put huge speedbumps in my neighborhood
        dam I hate those things
        Op I'm afraid that they'll have some bs about how it's low, but always worth a try
        Derek
        01 GTI -cammed+stroked
        06 gmc - duramax
        11 Touareg
        Can am renegade 800

Comment

I always bring in the fight, it's no lower than any stock Ferrari or Lambo, and just be happy you guys aren't fixing one of those......
          Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
          2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

call the citys 311 and open a file, you tell them what happened and let them know you would like to file a claim, they will pay for a major percentage of you damage costs
            sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
            His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
            Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
            Past:
            B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
            B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
            2004 .:R32 BMP
            2001.5 Noggy blue s4
            2000 VW GTI 1.8T
            1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

First off I'm horribly confused by your post, What were you driving for one? Also, there isnt any construction around any of the nait campus's that I'm aware of so that would be the point of having zero contruction signs. What is a cover pipe of some sort? and you had!!! to be doing alot more then 45 to get any air and do that kind of damage. But I do know this city is nothing but an abortion when it comes to roads, thus is why I prefer to drive my lifted truck with huge tires.

Comment

There is construction all around that area. My dad has a condo near oliver square, and I am over there from time to time, and I take photos at the airport.

My van got air, doing 50km/h on some new speed bumps in Calgary. I lived away for a while, came home one weekend, all the lights were out on that street, driven that street probably 1000+ times, boom! Hit some sort of epic speed bump, no new signs, the speed bump wasn't painted, just fresh tarmac on freshly paved road, black on black no light.

That being said, didn't do anywhere near that sort of damage. It broke one of my rear struts, but I had already bought new ones to install, thus why I came home that weekend was to use the parent's garages.

Comment

Does everyone drive around with no headlights on?
                  Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                  2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Good point. It was driving rain, when it happened to me, and will admit I was being a bit complacent, driven that section road twice a day for 4 years, and it was like 1am.

I am fairly impressed, at a broken windshield, and two blown shocks. That is some significant damage.

Comment

Sounds like dukes of hazzard driving
                      Do you drive a general lee
                      Last edited by Polishdupa; 10-03-2011, 02:40 PM.
                      Work in progress 3.0 liter S4 build

Comment

I say pictures of the location and what you hit, plus the damage to your car.

Comment

if the road "obstacle" wasnt reported to the city before the accident, then the city will do sweet FA.

best bet it to anonymously call in the problem, then the next day report your damage.

Comment

Working...
                          X