Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK4 Timing Belt

Hey everyone,

I have done quite a few of these installs myself but have never got up the nerve to try something besides the regular hydraulic tensioner. For the past 3 years i have been eyeing a manual tensioner setup along with the kevlar (maybe) belt so that this is the last TB change i ever have to do on this car and i was wondering if anyone had any experience with it at all?? Did you need the additional idler as well to keep the same belt size (here in red)?

Re: MK4 Timing Belt

you can also use a tensioner from a mk2/3 16v motor. that's what colin used when we did his head. you still need the idler though so it might be worthwhile to just buy the IE kit as a whole

Comment

The idler was cheap, you just pop the spring out and the rod and done deal. Put a new tensioner on the existing piece.
      Last edited by BaggedGLI; 10-25-2011, 12:07 PM.
      Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
      2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by martin13 View Post
        you can also use a tensioner from a mk2/3 16v motor. that's what colin used when we did his head. you still need the idler though so it might be worthwhile to just buy the IE kit as a whole
        It is quite common to do this when putting a 1.8t into a mk1 chassis. You need the extra belt clearance to fit the engine mount. As for why anyone would want to do this in a new car I have no idea. You are still going to need to change the water pump and other items at certain intervals that involves taking the belt off.
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

My thought was that if you used a metal impeller water pump, a kevlar belt and a manual tensioner you could get double the life out of the belt. The only timing belt problems seem to be the teeth stripping on the belt which the kevlar reinforced belt will reduce, the hydraulic tensioner which sometimes gives up pressure and slacks the tensioner which causes the teeth to skip and the plastic water impellers exploding.

Am I missing anything or do I have it all covered?

Comment

FWIW people have had the Kevlar belts break.
            GT3071R and more...

Comment

FWIW, the metal pumps are more prone to leakage.
              you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

How many kms were on the blown kevlar belts? And were they high hp or high revving engines?
                As for metal impeller pumps I didn't have any leaks on my last one at all, just have to make sure the o-ring is setting properly and its torqued down properly.

Comment

For the record, I agree with your logic behind the uprated parts and think they're the ones to use.

But when it comes down to it, are you willing to risk a few thousand on a gamble with a couple hundred dollars extra in parts?
                  Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                  Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                  Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                    How many kms were on the blown kevlar belts? And were they high hp or high revving engines?
                    As for metal impeller pumps I didn't have any leaks on my last one at all, just have to make sure the o-ring is setting properly and its torqued down properly.
                    From what I know most of the failures on both parts were installer error although Gates pulled their belts until they whipped up a new batch.
                    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                    Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                    Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

This is very interesting to me too. Since this is one part of the fix for my car. I was going with a Gates timing belt and a Laso Brass water pump.

Comment

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
                        From what I know most of the failures on both parts were installer error although Gates pulled their belts until they whipped up a new batch.
                        I have read along the same lines, however why would Gates temporarily stop making the belts if the installer were 100% to blame?

I think quality replacement belts and a manual tensioner will do the trick. Just replace them as scheduled maintenance. Once you learn to do it yourself the cost of this repair is lessened dramatically.
                        GT3071R and more...

Comment

Well I am glad to be of some help to some people here. Thanks for everyones thoughts and opinions and I am going to go with the kevlar belt, manual tensioner, pull the pin in the current hydraulic tensioner and just use it as the idler and use the metal impeller that is currently installed. Just going to make sure its tight and not leaking. I will let you all know how it goes

Comment

As a side thought, I did find a good kit on metalmanparts. $220 US shipped to Canada or USA.

http://www.metalmanparts.com/product...&categoryId=51

Comment

That says its for a tdi.....thanks though. Going to CAW thursday

Comment

Working...
                              X