Catalyst before EGR system to reduce carbon buildup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst before EGR system to reduce carbon buildup

So I was reading about EGR systems and a few places mentioned that certain trucks and cars have a catalyst between the EGR out pipe and in pipe to burn the carbon up before the EGR valves so that there there isn't an accumulation of carbon in the system.

Anyone know which vehicles have these? Do any VW TDIs have these? Anyone ever try to retro-fit one of these onto an MK4 TDI?

Re: Catalyst before EGR system to reduce carbon buildup

This might help you: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/e...ogging-TDI.htm

Someone correct me if I am wrong. Wasn't there 2 diesel engines in 2005? The BRM and BEW. See: http://www.lowmileageengines.com/use...tta_engine.php
    2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

I wouldn't worry about carbon build up anyways. Ever since USLD came into law it's not much of an issue anymore. Give your car a good romping every once in a while and it's fine.

Comment

the ALH had a vagcom adjustment you can do to really turn it down, but i took out the egr anyway

now the new gasoline cars with direct injection have carbon buildup problems of their own
        2002 VW Golf GT TDI
        2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Racepipes ftw.
          2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
          Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Well I've found some information on this system and it does work but it's currently working only on large vehicles and the side effect is reduced airflow = less power.

Comment

Working...
            X