oh man... el cheapo tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh man... el cheapo tires

i was just looking at tiretrends they have the kuhmo 712s in 225/40/18 on sale for 150cdn a tire!!! thats pretty freaking cheap.. i think i might order me these on monday.. although the yokohamas are probably better these have good ratings on them and well i'll save like 500 bucks buying these since they are on sale.. trying to find other brands on sale right now from tirerack too but .. whatchu guys think?

Re: oh man... el cheapo tires

Well I have limited exposure to tires, but I have the kumhos and they appear to be doing quite well, I had them all summer and they also appear to be wearing quite well also. For the price (I got them for less than 150 each) they seem quite good.
    Nick
    There are only two infinites, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    --Albert Einstein

Comment

The Tirerack reviews seem to like them. I am not sure how impartial those are.

I think there was a tire review in Eurotuner (maybe) a couple issues ago?

If you check magazines and websites you can probably find a tire review made by an impartial 3rd party that can help you compare the Kumho brand to others.

My guess is that they are a good tire for the price.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I've the 711's, and even though my parents said if you've nothing good to say don't say anything at all, I'll say it.

The tires are absolutely one dimensional, all about tread area on the ground, they do have good grip but are loud, rough and useless on anthing but perfect flat pavement.

To the 712's defense they are popular, primarily I think because they're cheap as hell. Not a good all round tire.

Originally posted by Kor
        The Tirerack reviews seem to like them. I am not sure how impartial those are.

I think there was a tire review in Eurotuner (maybe) a couple issues ago?

If you check magazines and websites you can probably find a tire review made by an impartial 3rd party that can help you compare the Kumho brand to others.

My guess is that they are a good tire for the price.

Comment

the more expesive the tire, the better. i wont buy kumho's, just because of the name and the fact that everyone else buys them.
          2002 VW Golf GT TDI
          2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

I agree with and think your rule holds true, except for BFG, I've never liked those tires at all!!!

I think the Falken's outperform their pricetag but I've never owned them so...

Originally posted by bart
            the more expesive the tire, the better. i wont buy kumho's, just because of the name and the fact that everyone else buys them.

Comment

I agree with Bart 100%

Originally posted by bart

Present
              2010 Audi A4 S-Line
              2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
              2003 VW Jetta GLI
              1992 VW Jetta GL
              1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

my next set will be: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

BFG g-force T/A KD's.

i dont care about noise, comfort, or snow traction. grip on dry and cornering. basically this tire is a close to a r-compound as there is, with much longer life. i need something like this since i will be auto-xing. buying r-compounds, they wont last nearly as long. so this is my compromise.

i talked to others about these tires, and read other independent reviews, not just tirerack.

my dad has bfg on his impala, they were awesome. when he switched to bridgestone potenza's he regretted it.
                2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

well the way i drive i imagine these kumhos would be fine.. the bad reviews i've read are from people who went from like pilot sports to the kumhos so I can understand that but I've never driven a car with summer tires nor used them before so i have no idea what they are gonna be like..

Comment

i ordered my rubber today.. i got 225/40/18 trojans
                    so anybody guess what i got? i'm cheap remember so..... next round will be the yokos or some pilot sports..
                    Last edited by R_Ethug; 12-29-2003, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I always preferred Yoko Avid H4's....not too noisy, good grip....I had a set of Toyo Proxes, and I hated them, never again...
                      2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
                      2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
                      2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Working...
                      X