Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a Passat question

Hey guys.
    So we sold our BMW and now looking for a family car (got a baby on the way) and I have been looking at Passats.
    Is there any years to look out for good or bad?

I found this one and im going to go take a look at it http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ330129557 and was wondering if 2003 maybe to old, though the KM are great?

Thanks in advance.

Re: buying a Passat question

When me and the miss's had our son, I bought a full size sedan for the growing family. Quickly you find out that a stroller, car seat, and all the kid things fills up a sedan very fast. I recently bought a b6 passat wagon and love it. The trunk space fits the stroller, a months worth of groceries and more. If you decide to go the b6 path, stick with the 2.0T, the v6's have a design flaw with the oil pump bolt backing out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitzer View Post
      When me and the miss's had our son, I bought a full size sedan for the growing family. Quickly you find out that a stroller, car seat, and all the kid things fills up a sedan very fast. I recently bought a b6 passat wagon and love it. The trunk space fits the stroller, a months worth of groceries and more. If you decide to go the b6 path, stick with the 2.0T, the v6's have a design flaw with the oil pump bolt backing out.
      Ya I been thinking about that too.

Thanks for the info on the engines.

Comment

Is the B6 a world of difference?

I wish I knew more about them other then reading on Wikipedia

Comment

I have a B6 wagon and can honestly say it is my favorite car i have owned.

If you are looking at B6's look for a manual. Some of the autos may have valve body problems which are costly to fix. Depending on your budget a 2008+ with the newer engine in the 2.0T which wont have the same oil consumption issues. With that said mine is an early 2008 with the older engine and it is not a big deal. Just be prepared to top up the oil more often.

A
          www.livingcolours.ca - This bugs for you

“A man who says he does not let the little things bother him has never spent a night in a tent with a single mosquito” - Unknown

Comment

I'd recommend a wagon over sedan for a family car as well. I have a B5.5 Passat wagon. I added the cargo divider (pet gate thing). You can pile a crap load of stuff in the back with no worries of it ending up in the back seat. A Thule box goes a long way too. It is not the most convenient thing for day to day stuff, but it adds a lot of capacity for road trips and stuff.

For B5 Passat negatives - I'm not a fan of the auto transmission in mine. It is a bit laggy starting off. I would have preferred standard, but it wasn't an option that could be paired with the TDI. Otherwise, it's a nice car to drive. As far as safety stuff goes, I find the ESP option works really well when the roads are so-so (and can be turned off if needed).
            Stefan
            -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
            -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Now that we have our second child I wish I had chosen to wait and go the passat wagon route too. But now she's getting a minivan and I'm going to try and find a more sporty car lol.

Comment

I got my wife a 2004 Passat TDi sedan and she really likes it. I would have loved a wagon, but prices were crazy for those and the sedan provided everything we needed. The trunks on these things are huge and the wife had no problem with grocery's and a stroller in the back. The esp worked fine, although I found myself disabling it because of my desire to control the wheel spin.
                If I could do it again a 2.0T with a 6 speed is suppose to be fairly fuel efficient with the size. I would have to teach the wife standard somehow, but I don't see having to deal with that now for awhile.
                Ben
                2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                Her's
                2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Working...
                X