Help with MK4 VR6 Maintenance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with MK4 VR6 Maintenance?

So I recently bought a 2000 Jetta VR (245,000km), and fixed a few minor things like replacing a mirror and fixing the handbrake (I'll need the handbrake this winter )

This weekend when it dipped down to -20°C, I noticed that it takes a little long to warm up, and the temp gauge likes to bounce around between 0° and 90°. To solve the gauge issue, I picked up a green top temp sensor from C1, and still need to put that in. As for it taking long to warm up, I'm being led to believe that the tstat is stuck open, or partially open.

What I need help with is changing the tstat and sensor. For some of you, I'm sure this is a piece of cake. I'm still used to working with a MK2 8v, where there's tons of room in the bay and everything is easily accessible. I'm totally new to MK4s and VR6s so any help would be greatly appreciated. Vortex had some vague and not so helpful info. Next week will be relatively warm, so that would work best IMO. Can pay cash, MK2 parts or beer.

PS. Yesterday my CEL went on for the first time. Today while driving, it decided to shut off. If anyone can scan my car with Vag-Com, that'd be great!
    -Faraaz

Re: Help with MK4 VR6 Maintenance?

I had issues last year with my 03' 2L. I had a green top temp sensor so I replaced the thermostat. It was pretty easy, lots of diy on the tex to do that. Not sure about the VR. Shouldn't be to bad though. As for warming up, I have a weather front for my car. It's genuine VW and fits on the lower black grill and the main grill between the headlights. Its leather and blocks the frigid air hitting the rad. It's intended for diesels, but I've never had a problem with my car overheating or anything along those lines. You could try that and your car will heat up quicker. The CEL might be tripped with the thermostat. I had that issue. Even after replacing the thermostat I didn't clear it (didn't have access to vagcom) and it cleared itself when I took a trip on the highway and engine temp was at 90 for a few hours.
    Alex Dewar
    2013 T-Red GLI

sigpic@BuckyVW

Old
    03 Golf CL
    2.Slow

Comment

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...ing/ES1892127/

I'm replacing a few of my coolant parts, and noticed ECS has that little pack with pretty much everything you'd need for this sort of issue.

Haven't done any of it yet so can't help I guess. Good luck though!
      Last edited by btimbit; 11-22-2011, 10:33 PM.
      '14 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (On Order)
      '06 VW Jetta TDI (Daily)
      '07 Ford F-150
      '06 Mazda 3 (hers)

Comment

Depending on where you are I could hook you up with a scan
        Derek
        01 GTI -cammed+stroked
        06 gmc - duramax
        11 Touareg
        Can am renegade 800

Comment

I can scan your car, give me a text with when you will be around and i will see if i am free sometime. These should get you going in the meantime, i would recommend buying the ECS kit and replacing all of the housings and the sensor while you are replacing the thermostat, they are the weak point of the system and will most likely break sometime with the milage on your car (if they haven't been recently replaced)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...sensor-install

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Pipe-(12v-VR6)

Comment

I would start with the sensor replacement and then see what happens. How has the car been warming up lately?

and a similar kit from me (only diff would be a abs water pipe instead of the aluminium) would be around $210, plus all items are in stock

also I have given other some procedures for different repairs. So if you or anyone needs one. Let me know
            Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Metal crack pipe is the way to go. I put one on the van with new housings when I had the motor out.
              Name: Brent
              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Yeah, as I've heard/read, the coolant system is the weakest link in the VR6s, unfortunately the coolant system is the one thing I hate working on with cars for some reason lol. Anyway, I changed the coolant sensor and the gauge now shows temp all the time, and according to the gauge it was warming up normally. The vent temp is a little weak still but bearable for sure (Even at 90° on the gauge) I really didn't want to dig into the coolant system and have to change anything and still don't. I know I'll need help asap if I take this on. I'll leave the crack pipe for now but I'm thinking of changing the tstat. Is there any sure-fire way to check if the tstat is stuck? The bottom rad hose was still cooler than the top hose after the car ran for about 7-10 mins yesterday (Ambient temp 6°C) After changing the PITA temp sensor, I'm terrified of changing the tstat. Also CEL has been off ever since that Friday when it was -20°C out

Sean, I texted you.
                Last edited by Fizzo20; 11-27-2011, 12:59 PM.
                -Faraaz

Comment

Check your cab air filter also, if the air flow sucks the heat flow will also suck outta the vents .
                  Last edited by Lars; 11-27-2011, 02:18 PM.
                  12 Volvo XC 90
                  03 Jetta1.8T
                  95 Cabrio VRT
                  90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Comment

So fizzo came over today, scanned his car. His heater is working fine, exactly the same temperature and flow as any other mk4 out there

We however did have an issue with the car scan. Tried with a KII-USB VAGCOM two different ways. The 0B2 does not connect and the VAGCOM diagnostics do not read any of the modules so I am very confused. Any help you guys?

Comment

Yup, what he said ^
                      So confused as to why it didn't work. It said my car isn't OBD2 compatible. Is that even possible? I thought all MK4s were OBD2.
                      I suppose my heater output is normal, but not nearly as hot as my (new heatercore'd) MK2! It's still seemingly a little slow to warm up but we'll see again when it gets cold. If the tstat needs to be done, I'd almost be willing to pay Calgary Auto Works to do it.
                      -Faraaz

Comment

does it have an aftermarket radio in it? or is the abs light on?
                        Last edited by martin13; 11-28-2011, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by martin13 View Post
                          does it have an aftermarket radio in it? or is the abs light on?
                          ...both yes.
                          I assume this is related, http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html
                          Last edited by Fizzo20; 11-28-2011, 12:41 AM.
                          -Faraaz

Comment

Originally posted by Fizzo20 View Post
                            ...both yes.
                            I assume this is related, http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html
                            sean said he checked that and it was alright. if your abs light is on and there is a problem with the module, vagcom wont connect.

Comment

Could have a broken wire on the connector too. Either way you got more **** to fix
                              Name: Brent
                              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Working...
                              X