Need some info on a 2000 Golf GLS 1.8T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some info on a 2000 Golf GLS 1.8T

Hi Guys, Car wouldn't start this morning, not sure why, It started, ran like crap and died. Thought maybe I should look in to a coil pack issue. I called the dealer and they told me that car just has one coil pack?! I thought all 1.8T's had individual coil packs? I would have verified before leaving work this morning but like I said, I just assumed.....

I don't have a vag-com, I wanted one of those cheap cables that were for sale on here but they all got sold out.

I was quoted $409 for a new coilpack. If someone can provide some insight I would be grateful, being that it's my commuter I can't afford to have it out of commission for too long.

Edit, if you know where I can find a cheap coil pack for the purposes of troubleshooting that would be awesome. My neighbor has a Snap-on scanner I'll use but it's not super detailed.
    Last edited by Tuna; 12-05-2011, 09:16 AM.
    Jay

Re: Need some info on a 2000 Golf GLS 1.8T

4 coilpacks 1 per cyl..

409 is a RIPOFFFFFFFFF coils are cheap dude

Comment

what dealer told you you only had one coil. If it is a 1.8t and is not imported from Europe it has individual coil packs. One per cylinder and $35 each. Another common issue is the coil pack harness deteriorate over time causing issue and there is a $80 repair harness that can be had to repair that. Either way get it scanned and go from there.
      Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Comment

Phone them back and tell them they are f**king idiots!

Comment

Trying to help your actual problem here and not trying to stir up anger amongst us...
          The term is ignition coil for the 1.8t engines. They must have assumed you had a vr6 if you coined the term "coilpack". The vr6 "coilpacks" are around that price. An individual ignition coil for a 1.8t is around $60 from the dealer. DO NOT buy ignition coils from auto value or similar because they do not have the latest model/revision.
          The way you would diagnose an ignition coil failure is to turn the car on and actually have it run. If a coil is gone your check engine light will start to flash. To check which coil it actually is leave your engine running and unplug your first ignition coil. If the engine starts to run even rougher than that coil is good. If there is zero change in the engine vibrations or noise then that coil is most likely not working.
          Another thing to check is the crank position sensor if you are having rough idle issues. Ask Colin more about that one because he has changed his out before

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
            Trying to help your actual problem here and not trying to stir up anger amongst us...
            The term is ignition coil for the 1.8t engines. They must have assumed you had a vr6 if you coined the term "coilpack". The vr6 "coilpacks" are around that price. An individual ignition coil for a 1.8t is around $60 from the dealer. DO NOT buy ignition coils from auto value or similar because they do not have the latest model/revision.
            The way you would diagnose an ignition coil failure is to turn the car on and actually have it run. If a coil is gone your check engine light will start to flash. To check which coil it actually is leave your engine running and unplug your first ignition coil. If the engine starts to run even rougher than that coil is good. If there is zero change in the engine vibrations or noise then that coil is most likely not working.
            Another thing to check is the crank position sensor if you are having rough idle issues. Ask Colin more about that one because he has changed his out before
            Nomenclature aside (but good to know), I indicated "2000 Golf GLS 1.8T coil packs", at which point he asked again, 1.8t? and I said yes, Either way, I'm over it, and I'll just get them from some where else. But you're right, he may have still looked up the VR6 part and I know they are substantially more money. To be fair, he wanted my VIN so he could be sure he had the right part.

The other part of your troubleshooting step is good but I couldn't get the car to run again. Perhaps it was flooded, as it smelled like gas after trying to crank it over a few times, or there's another issue altogether (which is entirely possible as I was not in "troubleshooting mode" at 630am). I've been meaning to get a spare coil for quite a while now so this seemed like a good excuse.

Thanks for the input everyone, I figured there was something weird going on, I'm picking up a couple new coils today. Hopefully the snap-on scanner can provide some insight. Oh, and I know there was a thread or something on the crank position sensor, I'll search for that.
            Last edited by Tuna; 12-05-2011, 10:36 AM.
            Jay

Comment

Yup that was me that had my crank position sensor go. It will crank and crank but not run.
              Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
              2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
                Yup that was me that had my crank position sensor go. It will crank and crank but not run.
                Thanks, I sent you a PM
                Jay

Comment

I would say scan it and go from there. Kinda sounds like a crank sensor to me. However it being cold it could have been flooded.

Coils from me are $35 each
                  Engine harness $70
                  Individual coil connector repair kit $68 each
                  Crank sensor $60
                  Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

What is the engine code of the car, the earlier models of the longitudal engine used and ignition control module and bolt down coil packs. The icm is very prone to failure and when that happens the car will not start. Also could partly explain the quoted price.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmacc View Post
                      What is the engine code of the car, the earlier models of the longitudal engine used and ignition control module and bolt down coil packs. The icm is very prone to failure and when that happens the car will not start. Also could partly explain the quoted price.
                      He has a transverse engine....it is most likely AWD. I most likely does not have bolt down coils either.

Comment

Ya. I knew that his was a transeverse but most of what I know about these cars is with them mounted longitudally.

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                          He has a transverse engine....it is most likely AWD. I most likely does not have bolt down coils either.
                          God that confused me, thought AWD meaning all wheel drive.......

Originally posted by Jmacc View Post
                          Ya. I knew that his was a transeverse but most of what I know about these cars is with them mounted longitudally.
                          These cars? the only longitudinal 1.8's are passats and audi's.
                          Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                          2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Did you read the codes with the snap on scanner? The numeric codes will likely be enough to troubleshoot the problem.

Where are you located in the city?
                            GT3071R and more...

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, I got the car sorted. Due to a bad misfire the car ran really rough and then through trying to restart it fouled the plugs pretty badly. sabbySC I scanned it and cyl 1 and 2 had a misfire, it was actually a MAC scanner (thought it was snap-on) and it worked like a charm. The coils tested ok but I replaced them anyway and I also had an extra set of plugs laying around so threw those in too. Car runs fine now, as I had initially suspected the car has individual bolt down coils as it's an early 1.8T.

I'll probably look in to replace the harness if it's not too much work as there could be bad connection on a connector or something.
                              Jay

Comment

Working...
                              X