Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TDI w/ blown turbo... what are my options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDI w/ blown turbo... what are my options?

Hey Guys,

So my sister bought a 2005 Golf TDI a few weeks ago. The car has just under 100k kms with a few engine mods such as a FMIC and it is chipped as well.
    So I was driving her car down Deerfoot on Friday, I was accelerating from an exit ramp when all of a sudden it made a loud bang and started blowing smoke out the exhaust. The oil light began flashing as I was immediately pulling over; the back of the car was also covered in oil. I know nothing about TDI engines, but I'm pretty sure it means the turbo is toast. The car is at Tunedub at the moment but not being looked at till Monday.
    I know there are a lot of you on here that know a lot about TDIs so I am looking for as much info as I can. Some question i have are:
    1) Is it common for an OEM turbo on these engines to blow around 100k kms?
    2) Is it worth while to replace the turbo with another stock turbo?
    3) Should I upgrade the turbo a bit? and if so what are the best turbos to do and where is the best place to get one? (Keep in mind it is my sisters car and she just wants it back on the road, she doesn't care about hp or stuff)
    4) Should I get George to do all the work or should i buy a turbo and take it to him to install?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Mike
    MIKE
    '03 GTi VR6

Re: TDI w/ blown turbo... what are my options?

well if it was tuned and depending how well it was cared for or not, the turbo blowing up now maybe not be that surprising... so you can try your luck, maybe G has a stock used turbo for sale, or buy new something a bit stronger assuming old turbo was stock? maybe find out what kind of turbo was in there already

http://shopping.boraparts.com/produc...roducts_id=351
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

From what I could tell from the seller, the car was well maintained as the guy is a mechanic at BMW so i assume the car is well taken care of, the body and interior are in great shape so I assume the car wasn't bagged and well taken care of?!? But who knows i Suppose. and it was just a stock turbo.
      MIKE
      '03 GTi VR6

Comment

I don't know as much about the PD TDI's, but I'm almost certain that they come stock with a sidemount Intercooler. I can't rap my head around why upgrade to the FMIC with just a tune and stock turbo and fuel. Just seem's a little odd to me. The FMIC is for more air and usually causes more lag. Oh well. If you're motivated to fix it yourself, its not hard to do a turbo swap on it. It is pretty time consuming as you have to clean out all the intercooler pipes and make sure there isn't any pieces of the turbo left in there. If you're choosing new instead of used I would go with the link Bart gave. That's a sweet deal and will run great with a proper chip. I know the guy who owns that shop and he's awesome for giving good deals and making sure you get what you want.
        Last edited by dJ; 03-04-2012, 10:46 PM.
        2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
        Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

upgraded turbo FTW!

Comment

Upgrade the turbo yes. Even a vnt-17 running stock boost is proven to last longer. Make sure the engine didn't eat itself either. Runaways ate relatively rare but even still.

Comment

I sure hope it wasn't the black 05 golf I looked at a bit back. It has a front mount, some inline module and more then likely an upgraded turbo. The car was a problem waiting to happen.
              Sounds like the oil seal went, likely new turbo time. I would spend some time looking into what is exactly in the car as like said it sounds fishy that it has a front mount and no other supporting mods. Heck a front mount without supporting mods is actually detrimental to performance.
              Name: Brent
              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

the car also has a 2.5" turbo back exhaust and 2 little black tuning modules (not sure on brand)

Comment

I have a FMIC on my larger turbo setup and I still think if I had gotten a really good SMIC that it would reduce the lag and actually prove to be better than my FMIC. I just don't think unless you're running at least a VNT-22 or larger that its worth it. That's just my opinion. I have it with my vnt-17/22 and it works, but there is boost lag.
                  2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
                  Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

so update on the car...Tunedub is replacing the turbo with a new stock one. Would it be worth while to put the stock intercooler back on as well?

Comment

Yes, go back stock, everything. As with any car, modding adds a higher risk factor as well as increased maintenence. Certain mods on the TDI are considered "safe" and by all means increase mileage immensely. But she really doesn't want to be worried about it all the time I would imagine.

Comment

Yea George is going to put a new stock turbo in. The car is my sisters and George will not warranty an after market turbo, so we decided to go with a stock setup. From what I have read I think I will take the FMIC out and just replace it with the stock SMIC. I'll have to look at what chip it has, but what do would you TDI guys recommend as a chip instead or would you just recommend not having a chip or software at all?

Thank you for all the help thus far, I really appreciate the help.

Mike
                        MIKE
                        '03 GTi VR6

Comment

If she doesn't care about the power output just go back to stock. A good TDI chip will actually increase the fuel economy and give more power, but a cheap one will only give minimal power and more likely worst fuel economy. You could probably sell the FMIC for $300-400 depending on the condition of it. People that have decided to dump more than $4000 could benefit from a half priced intercooler setup that is prefitted to work. That might save on some of the costs of the turbo swap.
                          2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver

Comment

Originally posted by slhazy View Post
                            the car also has a 2.5" turbo back exhaust and 2 little black tuning modules (not sure on brand)
                            Is the car black? Does it have a little damage on the rear passenger side door? Sure sounds like the car I almost bought and I sure hope she didn't.
                            Name: Brent
                            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Yea I think I will probably swap out the FMIC and sell it. BTW is it a difficult job and then putting in the SMIC?
                              Also the car will be done at Tunedub tomorrow and I'm just wondering if there is anything/ anyway we should be driving the car to break in the new turbo, George said take it out and drive it for an hour straight. What do you think Dj?

Also Stonewall, this isn't the car you are describing, this one is indigo blue.
                              MIKE
                              '03 GTi VR6

Comment

Working...
                              X