Whats your take on Touaregs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats your take on Touaregs?

Has anyone owned one or have experience with them? How are they reliability/maintenance wise?

We're thinking of a used one possibly as a second vehicle in the near future.
    GT3071R and more...

Re: Whats your take on Touaregs?

I love em!
    Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

I have heard they are a ***** to work on due to the tight engine bay. That being said if the right deal came along for a TDI toerag I would be all over it.
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

not sure what your price range is but you can get a audi q7 2007-2008 for low 30's which is close to the touareg. i find the audi a better looking suv.

Comment

I'm not sure what years you are looking at but the 2004-2005 models were prone to tranny problems, namely the valve body. There are also known problems with the drive shaft centre bearing support in those years. I think that fixed the issues going forward but it something to look our for.

I was looking at an 05 this summer and took it 5th ave to have it checked out, and the repair bill for the bad valve body in the tranny was $5200 for just the parts.

With that said, I really do like the Toureg and will probably be looking for a later one when it comes time to replace my wife's vehicle.

Andrew
          www.livingcolours.ca - This bugs for you

“A man who says he does not let the little things bother him has never spent a night in a tent with a single mosquito” - Unknown

Comment

I love them, but on the first gen (My favorites) christ maintenance is expensive. Something I'd probably only get under a warranty.
            '14 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (On Order)
            '06 VW Jetta TDI (Daily)
            '07 Ford F-150
            '06 Mazda 3 (hers)

Comment

From what I understand the first gen was fraught with multiple "hiccups" or "growing pains" associated with developing an emerging platform. Much of which was rectified with the second generation.

TDI 'tregs make me drool though. Sleepers in the "LOOK AT ME" SUV world for sure.
              Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
              Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
              Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

A friend had a 2004 V10 Touareg, solid feeling truck with plenty of power. He sold it because of the problems, it was 2004 so early on in the development of the drive train. It had the trans valve body issue, then there was something wrong with the pcv system that took out both turbo's twice. In the V10's.

Any time you need to do any engine work, you drop the engine/trans/transfer case and front suspension out the bottom, it's a 8 hour job plus the coolant/AC recharge/tranny top up on top of what the actual problem was. Things like having to lower the engine to replace a battery cable, or the 6 hours to replace the clutch on the water cooled gear driven generator(alternator). The engine needs to come out and a turbo needs to come off to replace the starter, they just scare me.

I would buy one as long as it had some warranty associated to it.

Comment

Good to know, thanks!
                  GT3071R and more...

Comment

I don't know much, but my uncle has one that he uses on his farm and he loves it!
                    Levi.W
                    78 BMW 635CSi - Project
                    91 Mercedes 190E 2.6 - Daily

Comment

I agree with previous posts. Anything I say from here is simply a matter of opinion and not to be thought of or understood as representing VW Canada's opinion. I've been selling VW for 6 years and I would stay clear of 04/05 unless you know it hasn't had any troubles and have a solid history of it's maintenance. As a rule, the 2006-2007 was a fairly large improvement, but the 2008-2010... are epic. Volkswagen made 2200 changes to the touareg 1 to make the touareg 2 (2008+) of which they only told us 22. I would highly reccomend staying 2006+. Also, I would avoid q7's, as they are not nearly as nice to drive. The Touareg feels more stable and the interrior feels higher quality in the VW. The Q7 is the ONLY Audi that I don't like better than its VW counterpart.
                      sigpicMark Terrio-Cameron and Southland Volkswagen - Call (403) 581 6875 or PM me for a great deal on you're next VW

Comment

i wish that we got the R50 here :(
                        ~~TODD~~
                        '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

The Q7 is the ONLY Audi that I don't like better than its VW counterpart.
                          Arguably the GTI and A3 can be compared and similarly equipped; I preferred the GTI.
                          KR
                          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by marktc View Post
                            The Q7 is the ONLY Audi that I don't like better than its VW counterpart.
                            I prefer VW to Audi. The older the better IMO. If I had space and a garage a MK1 or 2 would definately be in the works.
                            GT3071R and more...

Comment

well we are looking at suvs sorta.

ml350 vs 550 vs toureg 2 (fully loaded) vs q7

toureg with the audi led lights looks bad ass..

q7 i've driven the 4.2 sline (my father in law has one) and its so nice but chugs gas
                              ml350 and 550.. need to drive.. i think its the same body? but v6 vs v8.. i could be wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X