20th GTI Tranny problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20th GTI Tranny problem

My buddy just lost 1st and 2nd gear, 2003 20th anniversery GTI...couldn't engage reverse last night...happened in Golden. My Q is, tranny rebuild vs replacement. Its a six speed too.
    Any ideas are appreciated!
    Last edited by Geobmx4life; 03-08-2012, 12:08 AM.
    Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
    Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Re: 20th GTI Tranny problem

Just talked with him again, he's looking at a new, or upgraded rebuilt...there are a couple on car-parts.com...but just wondering what any experienced guys think.
    Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Common that the fork inside the transmission breaks that allows for selection of those gears, seen it on vortext a couple times. Also check the shifter linkages at the top of the trans to make sure they haven't broken.
      Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
      2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

All right, thanks Colin...BTW its the car you read the codes on last summer!

Comment

No worries, I figured as much. If he gets another transmission, I wouldnt mind playing around with that one and trying to fix it.
          Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
          2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Yeah, for sure...I'll let him know!

Comment

Let him know that if he goes with a replacement unit I'd be interested in buying the busted trans.
              GT3071R and more...

Comment

OK...both msgs passed on!

Comment

Working...
                X