Strut questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strut questions...

Hey guys...I got some questions, hope you can all help!

Sooo I bought some new springs for my mk4 but seems to be a bigger job than I thought. Everyone is telling me that the task is pretty Sketchy with the tension on the springs and such. What's your guy's opinion? Should I just take her to concept or try for myself? Anyone have any tips or even a solid DIY?
    Thanks in advance
    I'm bay curious.

Re: Strut questions...

All you need is spring compressors to do the job. You can either buy them or some places have loan a tool programs where they lend them to you for a deposit.

The job isn't really that bad provided you have the spring compressors. Looks like they are on sale for dirt cheap right now, or you can spend a couple more bucks and get a better set.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...ing-Compressor
    GT3071R and more...

Comment

You can also go to partsource and rent a spring compressor for free with a deposit.

It's a pretty easy job, plan for it taking a day if you've never done it before.

Comment

I have an old DIY link somewhere, dood had pics of every step along the way. If things are rusty prepare to spend some extra time getting stuff out. Other than that its very easy.

Canadian tire also rents out spring compressors for free, keep em for 3 days too incase you don't get done that day.

Comment

DIY link: http://fortuneman.tripod.com/suspension/install.htm

Comment

Should be pretty easy to do, even as a first mod to a car. I trust that with even a bit of mechanical knowledge you can't screw it up too badly lol

Comment

It's a good DIY mod. Just remember to have an wheel alignment done afterwards.
              Mike
              '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
              '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

I remember the first time I did mine. E30 BMW, everything was rusty and you had to take the front spindles out to get the struts out. Took a solid 14 hours. Did my jetta in 4. Bank on a whole day, especially of your learning.

Comment

ok thanks guys! that DIY looks promising. This isnt my first mod, well on this car it is, so i should have some what of a base knowledge. thanks for the advice about the free rentals. i will defiantly try that.

also..people are saying i need a special tool for releasing the nut off the strut in the engine bay...one of vw's money grabs...but im also told you can use an impact socket and it will work the same, any thoughts?
                  thanks again!
                  I'm bay curious.

Comment

Air wrench works pretty good. I could probably be persuaded to lend you the special tool though. I'm in Hidden Valley. let me know.
                    Stefan
                    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

is it just that the torque bypasses the need for the tool?
                      I'm bay curious.

Comment

It's the speed really. The strut will just spin freely if you try doing it with a socket and ratchet.

Comment

ya ive deffs experienced that annoyance...
                          I'm bay curious.

Comment

I've used impact guns before, they work. Or you can use a 22mm socket and vice grips on the outside, you will need to put an allan key in the middle to stop the strut from rotating using that method.

You also need the vw strut spreader tool, some people say a 1/4" ratchet bit works but it never has for me. I have however used a bolt, ground flat on one side, or the actual tool which I bought at C1. I also recommend soaking the base of the front struts in some penetrating lube prior to removing them. If they've been on for a while you'll have some rust buildup to fight.
                            GT3071R and more...

Comment

ya that tool looks pretty easy to fashion. and the rust does seem to be a concern...
                              whatever, im sure the work will be with it in the end
                              I appreciate all the help guys, any more tips are welcome
                              I'm bay curious.

Comment

Working...
                              X