Soundkator - Fake engine sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundkator - Fake engine sound

Apparently 2011+ GTI, GLI and Beetle Turbos come with this new "Soundaktor" thing that is basically a speaker that plays fake engine sounds

Not sure if this is also in the Golf R, but give this thread a quick read and you guys can check under your hood for the "Soundaktor" box.

Source
    http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33595

Last edited by Kg810; 04-23-2012, 11:30 AM.
    MK5 .:R32 - Aston

Re: Soundkator - Fake engine sound

KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Kinda stupid if you ask me, I want to hear real engine sounds. I feel like in another 5 years, no car enthusiasts will want to buy new cars. All of these manufacturers are including more and more useless features and proprietary **** that gets in the way of modifying your car. What happened to just being able to drive the car without sensors and displays between you and the road?

Comment

Don't like it or hate it, really. Although it'd be coming out pretty quick if it was my car
        '14 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (On Order)
        '06 VW Jetta TDI (Daily)
        '07 Ford F-150
        '06 Mazda 3 (hers)

Comment

holy poop

Comment

I had heard of this for the M5....Lame
            --
            Rod
            Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
            2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

WOW WOW WOW.

For a forward thinking company, with arguably the strongest marketing campaign in the automotive industry, this is fucking bush league. My god this is damning.

If I were in VW sales, I'd be fucking embarrassed to ever say a VW with this soundkator sounds good. It's a fucking sham.

WOW!
              Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

Seems like a strange progression. Engines, IMO, will end up quieter as a result of improved efficiencies. This is a strange way to deal with it. They should add a burninator to consume extra fuel too so your engine feels more old school when you go to fill up.

Don't get me wrong, I like the sound of a well tuned engine, but I think over time, that sound is going to change. With any luck, the performance and feel doesn't get f'd with too much.
                Stefan
                -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

You guys are all so sanctimonious...

Bottom line this is selling cars, period. Newer fuel efficient engines are very quiet, getting quieter, and they don't make the noise that sells cars. People want quiet cabins where you can't hear road noise or other outside sounds, they don't want to feel any vibrations, yet they want to hear the engine response - it's an impossible ask. This is one way to fix it.

It's not a speaker that's playing a sound file anyway, it's not going "VROOM"... if you watch the video its producing a vibration, that's it.

VW is staying in business by giving people what they want and beating the competition, if you don't like it buy a Honda.
                  KR
                  Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Now we wait for people who complain that there car doesn't sound right and the first thing they replace is the "Soundkator" and call it fixed.
                    Name: Brent
                    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I think, if you look back in history.. this has been done before, by ford in the Thunderbird SC. I don't know if I was lied to at the time or not, but a friend of mine's dad had a thunderbird SC and it sounded very much like a v8 from the inside of the cabin.. he had told me that ford had created some sort of audio layover to improve the engine note for the driver.
                      sigpicMark Terrio-Cameron and Southland Volkswagen - Call (403) 581 6875 or PM me for a great deal on you're next VW

Comment

Originally posted by marktc View Post
                        I think, if you look back in history.. this has been done before, by ford in the Thunderbird SC. I don't know if I was lied to at the time or not, but a friend of mine's dad had a thunderbird SC and it sounded very much like a v8 from the inside of the cabin.. he had told me that ford had created some sort of audio layover to improve the engine note for the driver.
                        I've owned to T-bird SC's in the past. I can tell you that this is definately not true.
                        Last edited by sabbySC; 03-27-2012, 06:12 AM.
                        GT3071R and more...

Comment

Soooo, can you put the module from an M5 in a GTI and have an instant "upgrade"?
                          Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
                          2016 .:R (sold)
                          2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg (sold)
                          2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by sabbySC View Post
                            I've owned to T-bird SC's in the past. I can tell you that this is definately not true.
                            Well then.. I stand corrected.
                            sigpicMark Terrio-Cameron and Southland Volkswagen - Call (403) 581 6875 or PM me for a great deal on you're next VW

Comment

Originally posted by Jester B View Post
                              Soooo, can you put the module from an M5 in a GTI and have an instant "upgrade"?
                              Sounds reasonable to me!
                              Stefan
                              -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                              -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                              -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Working...
                              X